Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 08:33 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

ReadyForWhatsNext, I fell in love with Skokie several years ago. I highly recommend it. If I move down here, ot would probably be several years from now, but this is the area Id choose. This weekend Im in Niles. Today I biked east to the Skokie and Lincolnwood area. Wow, Lincolnwood up here has some nice houses!
Ive been teaching Tae Kwon Do for 18 years. I teach through the Milwaukee Recreation Department. I wanted to reach families that maybe couldnt afford a traditional school. They respond well ti the values, because like a good parent, they have to realize when you correct or discipline them, it's because you care about them. This goes for adult students too. I have around 25 students, ages 5 to 55.
Krav Maga? I never studied it. I pass a Krav Maga studio on Highway 41, in Highland Park, when I come down on my visits. Today, I stopped at a Karate studio near my hotel, to pay my respects. The Sensai invited me in to practice with his students! Great professional courtesies!
I appreciate your words of wisdom you share. And I agree, the youth need to learn them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 08:35 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForWhatsNext View Post
I don't think most people follow The Golden Rule these days. And the old adage of "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" seems to be all but forgotten in the world of the internets. I think teaching kids respect and manners when they're young is key.
The Golden Rule is to 'do unto others ...". This is a discussion forum. It is possible that something one says about a post may not be "nice" in the opinion of the poster. However, if comments are respectfully stated, they should be welcome.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:57 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
For a15 year old at sunset....??? No way

Old 08-04-2020, 11:52 AM

88 posts, read 79,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
For a15 year old at sunset....??? No way
Ok, Well, this is as much as an indictment on so many American communities -- not just the South Side. I thank you for the honest assessment.

Anyway... I guess it's time to wrap this up and put a bow on it.

Many of you have been helpful and I thank you all for taking time out of your day and sharing your thoughts. I know I tend to be a bit too wordy and as such, I especially appreciate the posts also offering detailed information.

From here, we are waiting for the Pandemic to pass or a Vaccine to be disseminated. A bit of a holding pattern till then. As some of you know we can't even travel to Canada or the EU to say nothing about US states imposing quarantine rules on those from other states. We hope this all passes soon.

Still, I have noticed a community spirit in Chicago that I haven't found in many other threads so Congrats for that! Stay classy, Chicago and hope to plan a Fam-trip soon.

Ciao!

Old 08-04-2020, 12:10 PM

ReadyForWhatsNext, you take care. Stay happy and healthy. Live life to its fullest, friend.

Stay in touch with the Chicagoans.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:24 AM

796 posts, read 931,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
nino jr, how are you?

I did take the Red line to 95th and back to the north side, just to go for a ride and see some of Chicago I don't normally get to see. And it is true, the racial make up very much changed once passing 35th street, going southbound. And I am not classifying it as good nor bad. I'm just stating my observation.

In my visits to Chicago, I did go outside of the norm and drive past 35th Street into Canaryville, just to check it out. Not much to that part of town, but that's what makes exploring fun.

ONE DAY I WILL take the drive to the very southern end of Chicago to explore (I have East Side, Hegewisch, Pullman and Beverly on my bucket list.)
whenever I take the red line, I NEVER see non black people on past 35th. except the rare times folks go to 55th street. but never past there.

as a south sider, whenever I venture out to the far southeast side like hegewisch, it's like a different world than the rest of chicago. it feels as if ur not even in the city even.

the pullman historic district is gentrified and I see they are building new businesses and investing in that area these days. I looked at homes over there a few years, ago, but given the age of those homes, they are really small and most don't have garages due to this.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 AM

beaniemac, good morning to you.

Well I am Latino, and from my recollection I was essentially the only non-Black passenger, that is to say in the car that I was in. So I cannot speak on the demographics of the other train cars, but we can assume.

I would very much like to see those far south side neighborhoods. I have been reading about them in my "Chicago 77" neighborhoods book, as well as watching some youtube videos on them. Please tell mem in what way is Hegewisch feel different?... If my reading serves me correct, I believe my book said Hegewisch has the only trailer park area in the city of Chicago.

And recently I was looking at some hotels in Pullman, and they looked nice and historic.

I need to do it some day when I am in the mood for a longer ride. Or hitchhike!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago