Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:36 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times

Advertisements

Well there's mass looting happening on the Mag Mile again tonight. God knows why any retailer would want to do business in or near the CBD right now.

Then again, to every one of those stores whose corporate offices posted one of those pitiful, knee-bending "please don't boycott us, we know we've been bad boys and girls but we promise from now on to be really super extra nice to colored people and donate generously to your cause" statements on their corporate web page.... I hope their whole damn company gets looted store by store.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:46 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Enough of the BLM BS. Rioting and looting after cops shot someone in Englewood who was SHOOTING AT POLICE AND HIT AN OFFICER. FBG Duck and others get shot in planned drive by shooting in Gold Coast by other black murderers. Nothing. Cops shoot a criminal with a gun and riots and looting all over Mag Mile and Gold Cost.

Black culture needs to show introspection and change NOW. Lightfoot needs to resign. And I support police and fire 10000000%. Thank you for your service!!!!

Old 08-10-2020, 03:12 AM

224 posts, read 310,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Enough of the BLM BS. Rioting and looting after cops shot someone in Englewood who was SHOOTING AT POLICE AND HIT AN OFFICER. FBG Duck and others get shot in planned drive by shooting in Gold Coast by other black murderers. Nothing. Cops shoot a criminal with a gun and riots and looting all over Mag Mile and Gold Cost.

Black culture needs to show introspection and change NOW. Lightfoot needs to resign. And I support police and fire 10000000%. Thank you for your service!!!!
I wonder if this will spread throughout the city again? Time to bring back the national guards!

Old 08-10-2020, 03:15 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Likely will. Although, I really don't know what to expect across the board.
I grew up on the east coast in a pretty affluent suburb with one of the nicest malls in the country. Apparently there are rumblings that it may shutdown because so few stores (other than the larger anchor department stores) are planning to open in the foreseeable future.

Similarly, a neighboring suburb that is known for its charming downtown with local, unique bars and restaurants; several are shutdown for the foreseeable future.

In the Boston forum, they were talking about how many of the large retail stores in their upscale shopping districts are shutting down.

Bottom line; I think suburbs and major cities are going to be deeply affected by this. It very likely will lead to the decline of these districts, and cities (and everyday life) will not be the same for a long time.

I don't think the Protests will have long term impacts, although city leadership needs to protect businesses better. The next thing to brace for will be in a couple of years when the trial of Chauvin and the officers happens. If he does not receive a significant charge or God help us all if he is acquitted, Chicago and almost all major US cities may burn to the ground and may no longer be left standing. Then there will be a literal decline/death of the Magnificent Mile.

In the short-term, vaccines, treatments, and people following public health guidelines are more important than ever if we want to get back to "normal" (including cities) from COVID.
Good summary, except that the definition of "Protest" I grew up with involved "Marching, Chanting, Singing, Sitting, Carrying Signs, etc.". What has people worried, is all the "Smashing, Grabbing, Looting, Burning, Throwing, Destroying, and Shooting". You know, "Rioting". Protests are lawful. Riots are not. Protesters need to be tolerated. Rioters need to go to jail, depending on what they actually do. In Chicago, they are going through a revolving door (if even) and repeating the process. The destruction of this city is happening with the express consent of the people who were elected to protect it. If this isn't Bizzarro World, then I don't know what is.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:21 AM

Looters hit Mag Mile, smashing windows and clashing with Chicago police

LOL @ this gem: "By 3 a.m. police appeared to be getting things under control." Anyone tuned in to the Zone 4 radio feed can tell you that's straight-up BS. They're still chasing people all over the place from Oak Street clear down to Roosevelt.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 AM

Three people reported shot at 30 E. Randolph.

Security guard shot at Clark & Hubbard.

Yep, sounds like they've really got things under control down there.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:07 AM

1,067 posts, read 916,407 times
Second Ward Alderman Brian Hopkins on NBC news now calling for National Guard. The second ward covers river north and gold coast. I 100% agree.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:49 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Well there's mass looting happening on the Mag Mile again tonight. God knows why any retailer would want to do business in or near the CBD right now.

Then again, to every one of those stores whose corporate offices posted one of those pitiful, knee-bending "please don't boycott us, we know we've been bad boys and girls but we promise from now on to be really super extra nice to colored people and donate generously to your cause" statements on their corporate web page.... I hope their whole damn company gets looted store by store.

Geeee.....I don't live close to the Mag Mile, but if this is still happening now, you are right.....it's highly unlikely that any retailer would ever want to open up downtown again.

This could be the end of the Mag Mile, and consequently Chicago's popular tourism. The Mayor needs to make sure this stops and doesn't happen again.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:54 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post

I know you are mad (I am too), but I wouldn't say this is blanket "Black Culture." It's more "Inner City" culture (and yes most involved probably are black), but there are plenty of blacks that are not out there rioting like that. There's a handful of people causing problems, but I wouldn't put that on a whole race or define it as their "culture."

Old 08-10-2020, 05:56 AM

4,648 posts, read 3,254,543 times
personone, right on!

But with all talk of defunding police and NOT utilizing National Guard, WHO will protect these stores? I don't think the remaining Outfit still serves a "protection" to businesses downtown anymore. And the Latino "gangs" of Little Village and Cicero are not going to bother since this is out of their territory.

I guess I will have to keep supporting ALL people to learn self-defense, stay fit, get your FOID, WHATEVER it takes to stay strong and defend your SELF, your loved ones; and for those who step up like I have to fight for justice for those being attacked!

I wish the best to you, my beloved Chicago. And I fully support the Chicago Police Department! Our spirit is with you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago