Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2023, 12:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Oh there WILL be some celebrating the 4th of July!!!!!

UNFORTUNATELY, it may come in the form of gun shots and jumping on innocent people's cars!

Well, DIFFERENT people celebrate in DIFFERENT ways!

Who are WE to judge others for being different, right?!?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 02:31 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
One thing is for certain - someone will share that info on this thread and inform us, just in case we weren't able to read the internet for ourselves.

As previously mentioned, the youth, especially in the AA community but really all the city youth have this attitude that they can do whatever they want and disrupt civil life. It's a real verdict on our society - the parenting, the expectations.

I recently read about how people think that boomers are to blame for what the current youth don't have. That they took all the splendors and left nothing for the rest. Someone (a boomer) retorted with this:

"You know, we lived in small houses, drove used cars and took modest vacations. Then a miracle happened. We ended up with some money."

And that really opened my eyes a bit (as a Gen Xer). Half the people I know are sending their kids to Europe for study abroad, go on lavish trips, etc. And people splash and brag all over social media whenever they travel. It's no wonder kids expect to have what they don't deserve.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:57 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
What does snark solve? Particularly from people who don't even live there?

Old 07-01-2023, 05:19 AM

84 posts, read 45,214 times
The 4th is a good time in Chi though. Huge party stretching from Foster to Montrose Beach and if you're lucky enough to have a balcony or rooftop on a reasonably high floor it's an awesome fireworks display without the hassle of dealing with crowds.

Who knew Indiana would be good for something?

Old 07-03-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
What does snark solve? Particularly from people who don't even live there?
This is a question I ask all the time.

I've reflected on it - and I think for some, they feel tied to Chicago, either because they live in the burbs (and Chicago is their anchor city) or if they used to live in the area and now moved away. Thus, they feel a connection to it still, and thus feel compelled to post about bad stuff.

I think some get real satisfaction from it - which is sad and small minded. Others I think are genuinely frustrated because they identify as "Chicagoans" even if they don't currently live in the city. Like when they are asked where they are from, they say "Chicago" even if it's from a long time ago or they are from Schaumburg.

My perspective on this has changed some - I grew up in the suburbs and definitely identified with the city but never felt compelled to be super invested in its problems (nor complain about them). Now that I live in the city, I'm more invested, but also defensive of it.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:53 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
This is a question I ask all the time.

I've reflected on it - and I think for some, they feel tied to Chicago, either because they live in the burbs (and Chicago is their anchor city) or if they used to live in the area and now moved away. Thus, they feel a connection to it still, and thus feel compelled to post about bad stuff.

I think some get real satisfaction from it - which is sad and small minded. Others I think are genuinely frustrated because they identify as "Chicagoans" even if they don't currently live in the city. Like when they are asked where they are from, they say "Chicago" even if it's from a long time ago or they are from Schaumburg.

My perspective on this has changed some - I grew up in the suburbs and definitely identified with the city but never felt compelled to be super invested in its problems (nor complain about them). Now that I live in the city, I'm more invested, but also defensive of it.
I think it is sad that outsiders seem to care more about the insane crime in this city than those who live here.

Seems that people who do not even live here are FAR more upset and passionate and upset by all the violence, than those who live here who I guess are so immune to it that it means nothing anymore. It is just part of Chicago life. Now that is sad.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I think it is sad that outsiders seem to care more about the insane crime in this city than those who live here.

Seems that people who do not even live here are FAR more upset and passionate and upset by all the violence, than those who live here who I guess are so immune to it that it means nothing anymore. It is just part of Chicago life. Now that is sad.
Most outsiders are far more conservative, and I mean that in the real sense of the word, as well as the political one. Most shootings in Chicago are STILL in areas that upper middle class people don't go to very often, if at all, or they are done in connection with a turf war, family issue, or something most don't get involved with. So there is a lot of NIMBY going on - hey, if it's "over there" it's not really my problem. Or if it's "people I never associate with" it's not my problem.

You have 3 options. 1) you get active and fight for a safer city, 2) you keep yourself out of these situations and otherwise enjoy life without really doing anything, or 3) you leave and then yell about it/complain.

#3 is not productive or beneficial to the problem, at all.
#2 isn't helpful, but at least you are IN THE CITY and part of the populace that is law abiding and keeping it from getting even worse by simply being a good citizen

#1 is clearly the most helpful, but let's face it, VERY few people are willing or even able to do that. That's honestly what the police and lawmakers are supposed to do.

Old 07-04-2023, 02:12 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Default Damn...8 people robbed across Lincoln Park in under 20 minutes

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/8-...der-20-minutes

Q: What is the safest area in Chicago?

A: If you want to stay in one of the safest parts of Chicago, you can’t go wrong living in Edison Park, Lake View, Lincoln Park, The Gold Coast, and Rogers Park.
https://www.pods.com/blog/safest-pla...-live-chicago/

Old 07-04-2023, 03:54 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Chicago man charged with shoplifting, ID theft at Neiman Marcus is named… Neiman Marcus Collins

https://cwbchicago.com/2023/07/chica...ient-mile.html[/quote]

Old 07-04-2023, 05:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Edison Park. A lot of cops. And they'll blast back..... Like ALL of you good citizens should be able to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago