Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2023, 12:42 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times

Advertisements

Bitey, yikes!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 01:35 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
A cranky neighbor who was "known to police" got tired of neighborhood kids making noise.... so he walked up to a 9-year-old girl and shot her in the head.

I'm not a major proponent of the death penalty, but some people just need to be kicked off the planet.

And if that weren't bad enough, her dad had moved the family to the "safe" neighborhood of Portage park to get away from the violence in Austin after the girl's mom was murdered there.
I saw this on Citizen. Not the history or reason, but the actual crime. Agree with picking certain people off the planet.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:26 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeemdream View Post
I know someone who basically strongly convinced their daughter to go to Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire over their number 1 choice the University of Chicago. Their daughter was admitted to both schools for undergrad. I visited Chicago in the late 2000s and very early 2010s and remember great Portillos Italian beef, extremely fun Navy Pier, fun seadog speed cruise on Lake Michigan, great performing arts, great pizza, and great shopping on Michigan avenue. I also loved the novelty of Superdawg. The father and mother told me because of something really bad happening to a University of Chicago student, they basically made the decision for their daughter to go to Dartmouth instead. They said "the most important factor is that New Hampshire has the lowest violent crime rate in the country". They are not Fox News viewers/Republicans. They are both lifelong Democrats, and I would describe them as upper class liberal suburbanites. So I am assuming their decision was non-political. Has crime in Chicago really gotten that bad? I am sure the individual will do fine since Dartmouth is pretty good as well. However, U of Chicago is in that upper tier near Princeton/Yale/MIT/Stanford/Harvard while Dartmouth is like a tier below those. I just cannot believe that crime in Chicago has gotten so bad that it is starting to factor into some college decisions because the city felt like a fun and safe tourist city to me in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Is the University of Chicago Hyde Park area high crime? Is it dangerous to go to college there?
University of Chicago and Dartmouth College are very different academically and socially. Are you sure there isn't more to this story? Nobody sane thinks that Dartmouth is a "tier below" Chicago. You do not pick your college because of pizza, fast food, or tourist traps.

Old 08-18-2023, 12:35 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
^^ Hyde Park is a harbor of relative tranquility from an otherwise rough sea. But like many other dense urban areas, the neighborhood can go from "good" to "rough" very quickly. Go just 3 or 4 blocks west of Obama's 2-million-dollar Hyde Park mansion and you're in the straight-up 'hood. You can find yourself caught out in a hurry if you're not intimately familiar with where those extremely narrow transition zones are.

If I had a choice to send my daughter to UC or Dartmouth... unless she were in a program where UC is particularly strong even among elite schools (economics, business, etc.), I'd send her to Dartmouth -- and yes, primarily for her safety. I wouldn't have said that 5 years ago. But now? Nah. It's not just that crime is getting worse, or more accurately, spreading to neighborhoods that didn't experience so much of it before; it's also that the ascendant political climate in the city will only make it worse for the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, Dartmouth may not an absolute tippy-top school, but it's still the Ivy League. At that point you're looking at a fistful of sand and arguing which grain is bigger or prettier than the next.

By Chicago standards Hyde Park is still a nice neighborhood, maybe even one of the best. But that "by Chicago standards" caveat definitely carries a stronger implicit caution than it did a few years ago.

Last edited by Bitey; 08-18-2023 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2023, 12:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Speaking of the current political climate... not Chicago, but in Hammond Indiana, which is about 6 miles from the aforementioned Hyde Park...

The government has lost control of the crime situation; so instead of upping their game and getting it back under control, they're now telling gas stations they have to close between midnight and 5am to "reduce crime."

Hammond passes law to prohibit 24-hour gas stations, officials say

Old 08-18-2023, 06:28 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,319,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeemdream View Post
I know someone who basically strongly convinced their daughter to go to Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire over their number 1 choice the University of Chicago. Their daughter was admitted to both schools for undergrad. I visited Chicago in the late 2000s and very early 2010s and remember great Portillos Italian beef, extremely fun Navy Pier, fun seadog speed cruise on Lake Michigan, great performing arts, great pizza, and great shopping on Michigan avenue. I also loved the novelty of Superdawg. The father and mother told me because of something really bad happening to a University of Chicago student, they basically made the decision for their daughter to go to Dartmouth instead. They said "the most important factor is that New Hampshire has the lowest violent crime rate in the country". They are not Fox News viewers/Republicans. They are both lifelong Democrats, and I would describe them as upper class liberal suburbanites. So I am assuming their decision was non-political. Has crime in Chicago really gotten that bad? I am sure the individual will do fine since Dartmouth is pretty good as well. However, U of Chicago is in that upper tier near Princeton/Yale/MIT/Stanford/Harvard while Dartmouth is like a tier below those. I just cannot believe that crime in Chicago has gotten so bad that it is starting to factor into some college decisions because the city felt like a fun and safe tourist city to me in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Is the University of Chicago Hyde Park area high crime? Is it dangerous to go to college there?
Possible for parts of Hyde Park to be that bad. You would have to know the rest of the story. Where crime exists, time of day, etc.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:15 PM

253 posts, read 199,365 times
It's surrounded by ghetto. I worked at the medical center.
The pocket of Hyde Park that students, doctors, academia, etc live is pretty nice and decent, but it's such a stark contrast once you cross the borders. Crime does spill in.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:27 AM

420 posts, read 222,085 times
Crime is a social construct.

Old 08-20-2023, 02:17 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ Hyde Park is a harbor of relative tranquility from an otherwise rough sea. But like many other dense urban areas, the neighborhood can go from "good" to "rough" very quickly. Go just 3 or 4 blocks west of Obama's 2-million-dollar Hyde Park mansion and you're in the straight-up 'hood. You can find yourself caught out in a hurry if you're not intimately familiar with where those extremely narrow transition zones are. …
Could you tell how to spot the transitional point exactly, so the exact place where the hood starts? I would imagine gang tags, run down and boarded up housing/buildings, rubbish and old furniture outside, and a certain demographic hanging around in the streets beings indications but I never actually could spot the transitional point while apartment hunting all over Chicago years ago.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:52 PM

133 posts, read 68,122 times
Default Is There Something In Your Water?

Just when things calm down for a bit then the people in the city go off the rails with the violence. I don't get it. Is it something in the water or what?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...bc99302a&ei=27
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago