Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2023, 08:20 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Yikes, Armed Robbery in Edison Park?!?

Catalytic converter stolen in the morning; sunny out and cars driving by.

Anyone else hear about this??

MJ....where have you been? This has been going on in Norwood Park and Edison Park for several years.

Here is a video of a shootout in Norwood Park last year between an off duty cop and a CC thief. A couple years ago the same thing happened literally one block from where I grew up in Norwood Park.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...erter-thieves/

And another armed theft last fall in Norwood Park. Firefighter's driveway.

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-crim...ideo/13415983/

And for a wider view, there have been dozens of CC thefts in Norwood Park recently. Look at the list toward the end of the article. Nearly all of these are in Norwood Park.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...they-act-fast/

As for the Edison Park armed CC theft you brought up, that took place along Northwest Highway which is the main drag through Edison Park. And just a few blocks from the Park Ridge border. Highly traveled area with a Merta station right there. Pretty brazen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2023, 08:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
wjj, good morning.

WHERE have I been???..... Apparently, I've been IN DENIAL!!!!!!

I know historically, Norwood Park and Edison Park have been in the top 5 SAFEST neighborhoods. And they probably still are in the top 5 amongst all the other neighborhoods, but I'm guessing they also USED to have close to 0 violent acts (unless they happened and went unreported???).

I've mentioned that a couple of years ago I did help a twice-shot victim at the 7-11 by Super Dawg. I'm just sad and disappointed that these acts are happening in the previously "untouched" areas.

A bad sign of changing times. I don't know where you are with the notion that certain areas STAYED untouched when the Chicago Outfit held power, but there does seem to be a possible truth there.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:40 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I don't know where you are with the notion that certain areas STAYED untouched when the Chicago Outfit held power, but there does seem to be a possible truth there.

Norwood Park and Edison Park were, and still are, loaded with police and firefighters. Everyone knew that and the chance of running into an off duty cop at any time was high and that kept criminals away. Easier pickings elsewhere. But now, perps have no respect for the law and know they likely won't be put in jail if caught so NP and EP are fair game now and if an off duty cop tries to intercede, just shoot at them and run. Seems like there are few if any consequences for deviant behavior so the deviants feel free to roam around and do as they please. And any cop - on or off duty - who shoots back is taken off the job for 30 days and put through the wringer for trying to "serve and protect". Why bother. Being a cop in Chicago has to be one of the worst jobs imaginable.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:13 PM

wjj, Amen to you I say!

So unless the politics change, we either need a Don, like Tony Accardo to run things simultaneously.

OR, we need Charles Bronson.

I'd take the latter as my first choice, actually.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:26 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
We may end up needing the National Guard to help with the shortage in police. Or Illinois Guard? Does that exist?

Seems murders are down but everything else is up. Throw in some inflation (though cooling off, prices are still high), some apathy of prosecuting criminals, and it all adds up to people taking more chances.

It will get worse before it gets better. But this has happened before. It's not the "end".

Old 07-28-2023, 08:53 AM

Kmanshouse,

I'm for ANYTHING that will help curb the crimes taking place.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:40 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
We may end up needing the National Guard to help with the shortage in police. Or Illinois Guard? Does that exist?

Seems murders are down but everything else is up. Throw in some inflation (though cooling off, prices are still high), some apathy of prosecuting criminals, and it all adds up to people taking more chances.

It will get worse before it gets better. But this has happened before. It's not the "end".
Wait, the Pritzker Peacekeepers aren't getting the job done?

Old 08-03-2023, 07:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
Same demographic as always.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...indy-City.html

Old 08-04-2023, 07:00 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Seeing a trend lately.

Murders down. Catalytic converter thefts down. They caught that one crew doing it - and my Citizen app has gone pretty quiet on that crime since then.

July murders 2023 = 55
July murders 2022 = 74

YTD murders 2023 = 351 (through 7/31)
YTD murders 2022 = 385 (through 7/31)

About a 9% decrease

Armed robberies and car thefts WAY up, however. There are often groups of 15-22 year olds waving guns around robbing people, which is scary.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:38 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
A cranky neighbor who was "known to police" got tired of neighborhood kids making noise.... so he walked up to a 9-year-old girl and shot her in the head.

I'm not a major proponent of the death penalty, but some people just need to be kicked off the planet.

And if that weren't bad enough, her dad had moved the family to the "safe" neighborhood of Portage park to get away from the violence in Austin after the girl's mom was murdered there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago