Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
You all think all hispanics, or more importantly, mexicans, look alike.
HAHA, I'm Mexican. We can smell our own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
HAHA, I'm Mexican. We can smell our own!
I, too, am Mexican. Or at least I grew up there until we moved to the US when I was 15. Actually, my father worked for AA and transfered to Dallas, I stayed behind and went to school in Guadalhara until I graduated HS. My parents are actually both Spaniards, yet Mexican culture is what we grew up with and still respect. My parents put all of us through college in the US, and some of us went on to get graduate degrees. However, Mexicans have a blatant stereotype attached, based on the typical immigrants that come to the US. So easy to assume they are all like that. Indeed, they are not! But I am not naive enough to think that the typical Mexican holds an MBA from Depaul or to be insulted when someone acts surprised when they meet a Mexican who does- me! Just as I am not naive enough to think that there is anything wrong with NOT wanting to live in the Pilsen neighborhood and being honest enough about the reasons why, as already given.

I have the highest respect for my culture, feel it's quite misunderstood and know that as much as it's understandable that Mexico is a county that has a list of problems too long to list, it is not ALL that way. As to the pilsen neighborhood, we love to go there, as I have stated in past on CD, some of our favorite rest. are there and like to "take in the culture" along 26th st. and surrounding area, however, you could offer me the best, most beautiful house in the whole area, for free, and I still wouldn't live there, and that's whether or not it's for "raising a family" or not. I would not want my daughters, when they get in their "college age" years, to live there, art major or not. It is predominantly Hispanic and there is no denying that or it's environment. "Smelling our own" has nothing to do with what I was saying.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
I don't see the problem. Being caught in gang crossfire means avoiding the slow, painful death from lung disease that's coming up.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
Are you talking about that laundry detergent smell?
LOL, do you mean the pomade the middle aged and older men wear? It's called brillantina if you'd like to go pick some up.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:03 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
I, too, am Mexican. Or at least I grew up there until we moved to the US when I was 15. Actually, my father worked for AA and transfered to Dallas, I stayed behind and went to school in Guadalhara until I graduated HS. My parents are actually both Spaniards, yet Mexican culture is what we grew up with and still respect. My parents put all of us through college in the US, and some of us went on to get graduate degrees. However, Mexicans have a blatant stereotype attached, based on the typical immigrants that come to the US. So easy to assume they are all like that. Indeed, they are not! But I am not naive enough to think that the typical Mexican holds an MBA from Depaul or to be insulted when someone acts surprised when they meet a Mexican who does- me! Just as I am not naive enough to think that there is anything wrong with NOT wanting to live in the Pilsen neighborhood and being honest enough about the reasons why, as already given.

I have the highest respect for my culture, feel it's quite misunderstood and know that as much as it's understandable that Mexico is a county that has a list of problems too long to list, it is not ALL that way. As to the pilsen neighborhood, we love to go there, as I have stated in past on CD, some of our favorite rest. are there and like to "take in the culture" along 26th st. and surrounding area, however, you could offer me the best, most beautiful house in the whole area, for free, and I still wouldn't live there, and that's whether or not it's for "raising a family" or not. I would not want my daughters, when they get in their "college age" years, to live there, art major or not. It is predominantly Hispanic and there is no denying that or it's environment. "Smelling our own" has nothing to do with what I was saying.
No offense but you sound like someone who is ashamed of their ethnicity/background, or whatever you want to call it. To the OP, this person obviously has an issue with people of "Mexican" ethnicity. If you share this view, than Pilsen is not for you. However, if you are unlike this person and can somehow tolerate living with Hispanics than Pilsen may not be too bad. Check out Jumping Bean Cafe to get a vibe. Regardless of what you hear, that place is filled with locals and not with Bridgeport "hipsters"

Old 07-14-2009, 07:18 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
No offense but you sound like someone who is ashamed of their ethnicity/background, or whatever you want to call it. To the OP, this person obviously has an issue with people of "Mexican" ethnicity. If you share this view, than Pilsen is not for you. However, if you are unlike this person and can somehow tolerate living with Hispanics than Pilsen may not be too bad. Check out Jumping Bean Cafe to get a vibe. Regardless of what you hear, that place is filled with locals and not with Bridgeport "hipsters"

Perhaps you should read my post again. Ashamed? No, only "ashamed" of the stereotype representation given to this wonderful country, knowing how different it really is and that there are many, many upper/middle class, wealthy, educated, professionals in that country as well. They just don't flee to the US on a regular basis. Ashamed would be to deny my culture, of which I do not. All of our 4 children are bilingual, and while my wife is white, a beauty bronze skinned woman makes her look hardly less Hispanic than myself and our 4 beautiful children. But make no mistakes- prejudice is a powerful thing- read it on this thread alone. Pilsen creates that "stereotype" of population by way of living, refusal to speak english in an english speaking country, all in the name of supposedly "staying true to their culture" as the excuse. No wonder most in this country think our culture is poor and smells like Suavetel (the fabric softener another poster talks about).

Lets put it this way, the OP asked if it "safe" for his girlfriend to smoke outside at various hours of the day/night. I DO NOT think it is, period! Especially if she does so by herself at night. Of all the places to live in the greater Chicago area- why go out of your way to live in an area where you likely will not fit in. And that "culture" you think I am ashamed of? That culture can smell one that is NOT their own, a mile away, and can be quite nasty, especially if she is dating a Hispanic. My wife has been treated terribly, especially by the women, when they realize she married a "good one" of their own kind. You wouldn't believe how resentful that culture is, of their own kind, when one is successful. That, most definitely, I am ashamed of.

And I am ashamed of our culture being tagged as "milking the system", since the truth is, they are, getting public aid and all the other government benefits, instead of coming to this country to prosper. Make no mistake, there are hard, hard working people in the Hispanic culture and they work many laborsome jobs many in this country would not want or take for jobs. And I respect that. What I don't respect is all the slackers waiting for "cousin Jose" to send them their check/portion, while they sit and do nothing but collect from the hard working family member they all take advantage of.

After my father took early retirement from AA, he couldn't sit still. He' started working for a local contractor nearly 30 years ago, started his own concrete company, and recently sold the "empire" he built and retired to AZ with my mom. We didn't have an interest in keeping the business he built and we wanted him and my mom to have the money to retire on. They are set for the rest of their lives, happily and are enjoying their pride in what I and my brother and sisters have done with their lives. Our "culture" is nothing to be ashamed of- we will forever have mariachis at all of our family celebrations, speak our native tongue to each other-spanish, and enjoy going to Mexico for the rest of our lives, vacationing and being together.

So, JoeyPants- no offense taken, really. And my apologies for the length of this reply to explain why that is. Hope you understand and know now, I am not ashamed of my culture, just the false representation of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:28 PM

894 posts, read 2,381,526 times
isnt he latin though dominicans are a mix of both spaniards and africans...

and even though east pilsen is better it is still sees its share of violence like the shooting on 18th and union which left one dead one injured yesterday

Old 01-29-2010, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,252 times
So sick of people being afraid of Pilsen, lets call this what it is people...raceism. Any neighborhood that is not mostly white will be considered dangerous. My roomate and I are both from affluent suburbs and have now lived in Pilsen for almost 5 years. We are not racist and dont fear different cultures and guess what people treat us with respect. My roomate is a girland frequently walks the dog through the park at all hours of the night. Also we leave out doorunlocked all the time and nothing ever happens. I find that peopple that are always thinking of trouble will find it. Pilsen is if anything a working class family neighborhood, with way too many kids. and frankly I hear of more crime on the northside, people in pilsen are poor and why hustlea poor person? yr not gonna get much everyone knows that. stop being scared and raceist and be free.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds83 View Post
So sick of people being afraid of Pilsen, lets call this what it is people...raceism. Any neighborhood that is not mostly white will be considered dangerous. My roomate and I are both from affluent suburbs and have now lived in Pilsen for almost 5 years. We are not racist and dont fear different cultures and guess what people treat us with respect. My roomate is a girland frequently walks the dog through the park at all hours of the night. Also we leave out doorunlocked all the time and nothing ever happens. I find that peopple that are always thinking of trouble will find it. Pilsen is if anything a working class family neighborhood, with way too many kids. and frankly I hear of more crime on the northside, people in pilsen are poor and why hustlea poor person? yr not gonna get much everyone knows that. stop being scared and raceist and be free.
Ds83, you're just not getting it.

These people are doing you a favor: They are helping to keep the rubes out of Pilsen.

Do you really want a bunch of candy-assed dip-turd schnooks hanging around?

Do you want the tortilla factory closed so a "Chipotle" can open in its place? The carnitas store turned into a sushi joint?

So shut up already! You got a good thing going: cheap rent, cheap groceries, low stress. Its your secret.

ZIP IT - unless you want your rent jacked up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago