Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Not on a bus.
That is why I said 20-30 on the bus usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Irving Park is much better than Addison or Montrose. Hands down.
The only times it really sucks going east is during morning/evening rush hour or before Cub games. On the flip side of course it sucks going west after Cub games and during the evening rush. If it is not during those times-20 minutes to Broadway is not too far off the mark from the Irving Park neighborhood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well you are going to bail for Oak Park or Evanston in the next couple years so I am not too far off the mark.
Well, eventually we'll need a bigger place and have to school our kid(s). We may just move to the Bell or Blaine attendance area. It would be nice to have a back yard, even if it's small.

I'm sure you'll hear about what happens if I haven't gotten tired of this forum by then... But for the next two or three years, we're staying put in the BP.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimicata View Post
OP. You mentioned "Irving Park" along with two other neighborhood names. Just wanted to clarify that you did mean the Irving Park neighborhood (you probably did).

Thought it important to differentiate this from the stretch of Irving Park Road which is very close to your school (but not in the Irving Park neighborhood). Just wanted you to know "everything about Irving Park" since you are a newcomer
He obviously meant the Irving Park neighborhood since he specifically inquired about bunking at the Irving Park Park YMCA.

Anyway, to the original poster: I believe I heard there's quite a waiting list for units in the Lakeview YMCA, and I would believe it given how cheap the Y is verus the quality of the neighborhood surrounding it. The Lakeview Y is an unbeatable deal for someone who just needs a place to rest their head at night after work and a night on the town.

The Irving Park Y is in a quieter neighborhood, and I mean "quieter" in the sense of "not a lot of distractions or nightlife of people walking about at all hours of the night." It's on a busy street, and it's right near an expressway and two train lines. Keep you windows closed and none of that should be a major issue. As for the Irving Park bus line toward your school: it may be a long-ish commute but if the tradeoff is an adequate yet incredibly cheap place to live, it may be worth it. I'd budget about 35 minutes to get from the Y to your school. Long-ish, but easy: just hop on a bus, no transfers or anything. Plus you can track the buses in real time on the web so you know when one is coming and you don't have to waste your time standing outside and waiting.

The Leaning Tower Y is way out of your way and the commute would be impractical. Cross it off your list.

If you can avoid the temptations of having a lot of nightlife all around you and don't mind people milling about as late as 4am, the Lakeview Y would be the closest and most convenient to the school. That is if you can find an open room. The Irving Park Y is in a much more low-key neighborhood in terms of nightlife and foot traffic, but it's right next to an expressway and two train lines. But like I said, not much of an issue if you keep your windows closed. even with the windows you get used to it. I happen to live right down the street from the Irving Park Y; I have my windows open and I can hear the expressway but I'm so used to it by now that I hardly notice it.

Also, keep in mind as you're budgeting that the Y includes electric and heat. If you decide to do a more conventional studio instead of the Y, make sure you understand everything that you're financially responsible for. Don't jump on that $700 studio if you don't know if that includes heat and electricity too, because if it doesn't, it will blow right past your $800 upper limit.

Last edited by Drover; 08-26-2008 at 02:21 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 AM

A friend of mine just rented a large one-bedroom place in Buena Park for $840/month, but it wasn't the nicest place (the entry always smelled like cat urine). So you could easily find a nicer studio in that price range.

If you do decide to commute from the Irving Park YMCA, one benefit would be the ability to avoid the Wilson Red Line stop. It can be a risky proposition at night. Whereas walking back down Sheridan to Irving Park Road down isn't so bad at all (Broadway is worse).

Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM

258 posts, read 760,470 times
The X80 is scheduled for 22 minutes between the Blue Line and Broadway (25 during morning rush). It's been running for several years now; if it were not able to consistently keep that schedule it would have been adjusted at a subsequent pick.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
The X80 is scheduled for 22 minutes between the Blue Line and Broadway (25 during morning rush). It's been running for several years now; if it were not able to consistently keep that schedule it would have been adjusted at a subsequent pick.
That's assuming you just walk straight up to a waiting bus. Usually with a bus there's a good amount of wait time that you need to build into the trip.

I live just a couple of blocks from Broadway and Irving Park, and I've taken the X80 to the Blue Line many times. I usually have to give myself about 45 minutes for the trip.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,439 times
Default Life Update

Well thank you all so much for your replies. Life got in the way last year of me being able to move and start school when I was first wanting too, but things are back on track now.
I've been doing some exploring on rent.com the Chicago Reader and just general asking around, and I've started to come across some places that look okay, but I was wondering if people from the area could give me a little more guidiance on the area that the following places are in.
Oh also the Dept has stated that they'd be willing to pay closer to 450-550 with giving me a transporation budget up to 600 without (IE have to pay for the cost of bus pass myself no biggy once student loan reinbursments come in but still).

Winthrop Terrace5734 North Winthrop
Chicago, IL 60660

5726 Winthrop5726 Winthrop
Chicago, IL 60660

Sheridan Park Apartments
4536 North Magnolia
Chicago, IL 60640

4541 Sheridan Venture4541 N. Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60640
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago