Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times

Advertisements

I'm not 100% gay / into men, but I'm a "straight" MTF crossdresser so I am labeled as "gay." And after working many jobs in Chicago that didn't last, simply because they found out I was gay - I'd say yeah, Chicago is very gay unfriendly. The "A class" people here ostracize you for being so, and I think most straight people don't want to associate with you. Being a crossdresser, they often call you gay or a big nerd. Why can't people just accept a crossdresser? [I don't wear womens clothes out publicly in guy mode]

And what about the Gay Parade? You see TV anchors and business associate and promote it but that's all BS because they only want gay money and really don't support us. I go to the Gay Parade for amusement, - as I like seeing a crossdresser freak show.

How about you? Are you gay? How does employment and society treat you? Or how have your gay friends been dealt with?

If you're striaght, would you make a gay friend? Or dump him once you found out he was gay? - This is difficult for me too, I don't see myself as really gay so I don't make gay friends or go to gay bars or make crossdresser friends.

Seems like the only place for acceptance and friends in Boystown.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:53 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
You're twisting cross dressing up with being gay.

I think Chicago is an extremely gay friendly city. I came out here about 7 years ago and have never once had any problem. I've told people at both jobs I've had I'm gay and everyone, male, female, young, old was perfectly fine with that. Many of them were shocked, but 10 minutes later it was as big of news as if I'd said was left handed.

The city leaders are very pro-gay, and boystown is one of the hottest neighborhoods in the city. If anything I've been most shocked by the absolute acceptance and friendliness from everyone I've met who found out I was gay. Whether they'd known me for 2 minutes or 5 years when they found out. I'm a very easy going friendly person though, no one would really have a reason to have issues with the gay factor unless they were just outright prejudice, which I haven't noticed in Chicago. I think in the end it has most to do with the individual.

I have no experience with cross dressing. I'm not sure why you're talking about a non-gay cross dressers and expressing that as the city is anti-gay????

Old 09-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Well, what do you do for a living that they accept gays in the workplace?

Me, with a BSME, I mostly worked as a CAD Designer Detailer, Engineer, or Technical Writer at mfg firms and I've never lasted long when they found out I was "gay." My longest Chicago job was only 1 year 1 month.

Actually, so many people commonly associate crossdressing = gay, even though you might not be into men.

I found it was hard makng new straight friends, and I didn't seek gay friends. So I lived a life of a few old friends.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
I know many gay men and women in Chicago, and most of them tell me it's a great place to be gay. I've also worked with many gay people over the years, and it's certainly never been an issue in the workplace. But I'm in the architecture field, which seems to be very gay-friendly. I would think manufacturing would be more dominated by a more conservative, less educated crowd.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
This city is as gay-friendly as it gets for being in the Midwest.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 PM

45 posts, read 187,750 times
I'm actually gay and work in an engineering firm and honestly, everyone was accepting about it and no one cared. But I don't cross dress so I really can't tell you about that added complication.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
... [I don't wear womens clothes out publicly in guy mode]...

...I go to the Gay Parade for amusement, - as I like seeing a crossdresser freak show...
If you "don't wear womens clothes out publicly in guy mode" how would anyone know you are a crossdresser? Do you go out of your way to tell your employers and co-workers you are a crossdresser at home?

You like "seeing the crossdresser freak show", but you do not want to be labeled as such?

Contradictions,contradictions,contradictions...

Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Well, crossdressing sometimes gives you the stigma of being a big nerd or uncool, whereas it seems they could be more accepting if you are gay.

My worst job was Synchro Start - a solenoid mfgr. Got hired as a permanent Technical Writer, but only lasted 3 months. They somehow found out I bought womens clothes after work, and a low level factory worker bitched me out as being gay [this happened often at mfg firms, and I hated that a lot]. They made fun of me at the Xmas Party, and they set me up to be fired.

I actually go out shopping in womens clothes in full drag wearing makeup beard cover, lipstick, an awesome wig, and fake breastforms. That's the only way I go out in womens clothes, and I look beautiful and passable enough that pretty women say hi to me as another pretty chick, I can also use the womens washroom and fitting room. But if I don't use a good femme voice, I get read.

I bought too many womens clothes in guy mode and taht gave me a gay reputation.

The Gay Parade - the crossdressers there are outlandish, sometimes freakish and overdone - that's why it's kinda a freak show.

I dress classy, like a professional secretary in a nice skirt suit. But I'm gonna have fun this Halloween going out in my complete authentic Elite Cheerleading "Wolves" cheerleader outfit!

Maybe the next time I try to get a job in Chicago I'll explain that my jobs didn't last long because they were discriminatory to crossdressers. Never tried that, but then they'll understand better why I don't have long term jobs.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
In the first place, Jesse69 already posted this on another board.

In the second place... I don't know what to say, really. I've never seen anti-gay sentiment in Chicago. And a faghag with as many **** as me, well, if I haven't seen it, it isn't there.

I mean seriously, I've stumbled through the streets of Chicago drunk like a bum at 5am arm in arm with my gay friends, some in drag and some nearly naked, and the most that ever happened was an irate police officer who asked us to hurry home and keep it down.

It can't be easy to deal with twenty-somethings covered in glitter, drunk, and probably high on E

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
I've found Chicagoans in general to be very accepting of anyone who is gay. I've worked in photography, advertising, and a variety of online tech jobs and at every job I've worked with at least a few people who were openly gay. I never felt that anyone at any of these jobs really even thought about it much. I am straight and have a lot of gay friends, I don't think I have any straight friends who don't have gay friends.

Also - I think you need to change the title of the thread to "Chicago is not friendly to straight MTF crossdressers labeled as gay" to make it more accurate.

Have you found Houston to be more accepting of crossdressing than Chicago?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago