Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Here we go.

YouTube - Chicago CTA Electric Bus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motob View Post
The "quaintness" of streetcars should be a consideration. They also neither as noisy or smelly as diesel engine buses, which has an impact if one is interested in trying to build pedestrian and transit friendly communities...
Chicago (as well as many Americans in general in these times) pedestrians,cyclists, and motorists do not have the patience or alertness to allow for trolleys. There would be far too much traffic and accidents because of them.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
If I was king of Chicago one of the first things I'd do (besides moving into my Lakefront penthouse, and renaming Soldier Field after myself) would be to turn the Bloomingdale right-of-way into an active el-line to re-establish rapid transit access to Humboldt Park.
I have thought of that myself but...

Would the ridership be high enough? What would be the terminus? How would YOU connect it to the Blue Line for example?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
...Even somewhere like Naperville that has a high Metra useage..how many people are actually walking to the station? Very few. Look at the waiting list to get a parking spot at the lot there...so all those people are still relying on cars one way or another. yes, its better than if all those people were driving to the loop, but if all Naperville does is build a 15 story parking garage, thats still ignoring the bigger problem we are facing.
Well Naperville is not a pedestrian or bicycle friendly suburb and it covers a very large square mile area. Basically the whole town is a bunch of separated subdivisions. There are not even sidewalks along major roads in many areas of Naperville. Would you walk 5-10 miles to a train station? Think about it.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I have thought of that myself but...

Would the ridership be high enough? What would be the terminus? How would YOU connect it to the Blue Line for example?
couldn't they build the mid-city transitway, then sukwoo's Humboldt Park branch could hook up with that, which would then hook up with Jeff Park?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default You don't get out to Naperville much, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well Naperville is not a pedestrian or bicycle friendly suburb and it covers a very large square mile area. Basically the whole town is a bunch of separated subdivisions. There are not even sidewalks along major roads in many areas of Naperville. Would you walk 5-10 miles to a train station? Think about it.
Rt 59 is not all of Naperville. Most of the central portion of town, and big chunk of the north end is very walkable. Heard of river walk?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
couldn't they build the mid-city transitway, then sukwoo's Humboldt Park branch could hook up with that, which would then hook up with Jeff Park?
Yes. I am a strong supporter of a rail line along the old rail right of way near Cicero. That would be a great connection. I am thinking though were they could connect this new Humboldt Park line to an existing line as well. I am thinking the best way would be to connect it to the elevated portion of the Blue line somewhere around California or Western.

However,actually I have thought recently the Bloomingdale right of way as being the place where an "express" line to O'Hare could be partially located. It could run-non stop after Division or Damen until Jefferson Park at the very least. When the Bloomingdale right of way makes junction with the present Milwaukee North Metra rail right of way-this O'Hare Espress train could run along the right of way express until it gets near Montrose or Lawrence and link up with the Blue line again. I am still looking into the scenario of a true express train to O'Hare from the downtown or near the downtown area without linking up with the Blue line again or at all.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-05-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Why would anyone ride these new lines? Jobs? Cultural centers? Boredom???

Old 01-05-2009, 07:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Why would anyone ride these new lines? Jobs? Cultural centers? Boredom???
uh, yes, yes and maybe?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM

I see the City of Chicago losing population and jobs pretty much forever in the fringe areas. People will have smaller families and won't put up with the high taxes. Core and affluent areas near lake are different, but honestly why would any business CHOOSE to locate to an area with crumbling roads, high taxes, crooked dealings.

Toy trains are a lot of fun, if people ever make Chicago more dense trams/buses will be more practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago