Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:54 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
All my life I've been waiting for that one great idea. And it comes on an internet message board in the midst of discussions of zombies, rednecks and whether Eyes Wide **** becomes more satisfying under the shadow of a Southern Baptist's Great Idea. Oh, and where that one church is by Rush.
Well, I've been drinking heavily for the past four hours and I'm certain Lookout is enduring the sleep-deprived madness that accompanies spawning.

If there was a point to this sentence, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:55 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Apparently we have the largest cross in the world in Illinois. Yippee.

Effingham, IL - World's Largest Cross
I prefer the cross on Mount Royal in Montreal.

Those Effing Effinghammers!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well being that Midwesterners are generally honest, above board and VERY hard working I reckon that's a good thing
Yeah. Hardworking, honest and modest. So how come Chicago and Illinois politics is a cesspool that it is?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:21 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
That's embarrassing. I meant to say it's The Giant Cross next to the Adult World XXX.
Assuming we're talking about the same one, that's down near Royal Blue, TN. Just south of Jellico.

jellico,tn - Google Maps

Also at that exit: A huge fireworks joint, a store that sells stuff only seen on TV, a giant rocket, and a rusty ferris wheel up on a mountainside.

No Waffle House, though.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
No. I have never heard that before, and I know TONS of New Yorkers who go to school with me (graduate and undergraduate) who have all told me they cannot believe how friendly Chicago and Midwesterners are compared to New York.

So now you know. I also first thought that Chicagoans are very friendly but later on realized that this is not friendliness but politeness... It's a big difference. Chicago is definetely friendly, like someone in this thread said it is very standoffish. These two traits do not really coexist, do they?

Quote:
No, we don't have as much cosmopolitan culture and glamour as NY, but we are friendlier, and we DO talk to strangers more than NYC. Don't you realize that Chicago is slower paced city than NY?
I do not think your are friendlier, you may come across as more polite but very often you are very rude not even realizing that. Chicagoans are not very good in social situations. Most of the time this is very well covered by this over-the-top politeness but in real life situations where there is any stress involved, people very fast lose their temper and turn from over-the-top polite to outward rude. Chicago is very immature in this respect. Over-sensitive egos, defensiveness. You can see those traits even when reading this thread....

Quote:
You cannot possibly be from NYC if you think the pace of life is relaxed enough to allow people to have random conversations.
That's a funny comment. New York is an incredibly large social circle with incredibly outgoing people who fill the streets almost 24/7. Of course people have random conversations with strangers, that's why they came to New York... In New York you live to meet people.

Quote:
BTW- I love contact with strangers. You obviously seem not to because you have failed to take up offers from members here to meet in public and discuss our disagreements
When I am back ion New York you can all come over so we can discuss it, OK?

Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
Obviously, a subjective query. But, that does not mean your observation is wrong or mistaken. You are probably familiar with the biblical concept of "evil" and "satan". You have a situation, where Chicago could be the epicenter of whatever notion you have of pure evil. I'm old. Been here a very long time. I try to abstain from metaphysics, religion, or superstition. But, things people do in Chicago defy "logic".

They do. If you ever observe Chicago highway the one thing that comes to your mind is "stampede". No respect for lines, blinkers, people cutting each other off while talking on cell phones. No respect for the laws or for each other. Now I got used to many "perks" of living in Chicago but initially it felt like I was watching some very bad movie

Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
**** N.Y.

Get a life.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yeah. Hardworking, honest and modest. So how come Chicago and Illinois politics is a cesspool that it is?
Because shut up.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:27 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they dont look tough they are tough.
lol, no. Most toughguys are ******* who only give nasty looks to guys they think they can beat up which are normally shorter guys by like 5 to 6 inchs.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:17 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Assuming we're talking about the same one, that's down near Royal Blue, TN. Just south of Jellico.

jellico,tn - Google Maps

Also at that exit: A huge fireworks joint, a store that sells stuff only seen on TV, a giant rocket, and a rusty ferris wheel up on a mountainside.

No Waffle House, though.
Yep, this is it. Which begs the question, with all of these powerhouses of southern culture surrounding this exit, why isn't there a Waffle House?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago