Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:01 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,454 times

Advertisements

Lol, it's all perspective. After living in Philadelphia, (I thought what you think about Chicago about Philly - everyone was grumpy, mean, and unhappy,) and then in San Jose, Costa Rica, (a lot of people hate gringos - especially if you are a woman you get a lot of mean looks from Costa Rican women for some reason,) I find the people in Chicago so friendly! People smile on the street, hold the door open for people, move over on the train. (I hated public transportation in CR - you literally had to climb over someone's lap to sit near a window because people don't move over.) I don't see too many tough guy types, but then again I spend most of my time in the Loop and on the Metra with businessmen (and women.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM

131 posts, read 356,382 times
It is definitely perspective! If you think people lay on the horn too much here then you should take a trip to Latin America.

I don't think there are an exceptional amount of mean muggers in Chicago but then again I've been told that what I think is my "expressionless" face makes me look angry.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:18 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
It is definitely perspective! If you think people lay on the horn too much here then you should take a trip to Latin America.

So true! They lay on the horn before the light even changes.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
I personally like the Chicago "don't **** with me" attitude. I can't stand it when strangers walk up and start a conversation, unless they are neighbors or have some other connection to you (like you were both waiting for the same bus for a very long time or something like that). 99 times out of 100 a stranger starting a conversation in Chicago will be asking for money, or will be trying to distract you for a pickpocket or something like that. And then there's the ever cheery Greenpeace canvassers who seem to multiply like rabbits...

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 04-28-2009 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
...but then again I've been told that what I think is my "expressionless" face makes me look angry.
I get that too.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,912 times
The reason I "mean mug" was when I used to ride cta so the homeless/crazy people wouldn't bother me. Of course it never worked. No matter if I was reading, had on head phones, etc. It never fails, Here comes crazy sitting right next to me and wants to talk the entire trip home LOL. So glad I drive now.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
The Greenpeace people multiple more bugs. Never seen so many before this year. And I think this was one of the coldest winters on record.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am what you would call a people watcher. Has anyone ever noticed the dirty looks people give eachother......for no apparent reason?

I mean you can be on a crowded train and just barely touch someone and all of a sudden comes the "mean mug".

Folks give dirty looks like none other. It's as if everyone wants to be "tough" or something.

I just happen to notice a lot of this last week.

Gee-whiz, relax people..........
Yeah. When I first got to Chicago I was like WTF, is everybody looking for a fight here? I did not see that many fights and after a while discovered that these "toughies" are simply scared so they make mean faces to scare off muggers, beggars and everyone else. Pretty funny considering that similar stance in New York would be really dangerous and easily get you into a fight. No kidding.

What is even funnier is that I first thought it was real and was reacting accordingly (you don't want to wait until someone kicks you in a back or stabs you when you are not looking, right?) but soon found out that those "tough" guys fold down so easy... It is rather hillarous, a guys in a baseball hats worn backwards, mean looks, tough stance but as soon as you confront them you hear a weak voice and it turns out that they are actually scared like hell... Of you. I am not saying that there are no tough guys in Chicago but the "toughies" I encountered and all the "mean looks" are fake.

It seems kind of odd however that in a city so populous as Chicago people are still so afraid of contact with other people (see Lookout's post) that they have to take up poses to scare them off.... Odd. The same applies to most people in the loop who are trying so hard to avoid any eye contact with strangers. Again, strange considering how populous Chicago is.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Yeah. When I first got to Chicago I was like WTF, is everybody looking for a fight here? I did not see that many fights and after a while discovered that these "toughies" are simply scared so they make mean faces to scare off muggers, beggars and everyone else. Pretty funny considering that similar stance in New York would be really dangerous and easily get you into a fight. No kidding.
You have no clue about anything, and I doubt you're even from New York. All you have to do is watch that segment on Borat to see what happens when you try to engage New Yorkers on the street. New York is the most comically crazy "avoid eye contact" city on the planet.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:53 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You have no clue about anything, and I doubt you're even from New York. All you have to do is watch that segment on Borat to see what happens when you try to engage New Yorkers on the street. New York is the most comically crazy "avoid eye contact" city on the planet.
Just throwing in the NY perspective: There's certain people you wouldn't want to stare down, but it's not like you're going to get into a brawl with every person you look like. A lot of the "tough people" are pretty meek here too, can't say if it's more or less than there, they're usually all talk, no fight. A lot of random people talk to each other around here, and it's not really considered weird or anything, you'll just talk to them, and then be on your way. A lot of false perception around, and just because you have the mean look in the subway, doesn't mean that people are going to come at you and want to throw down. It just doesn't work like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago