Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM

93 posts, read 367,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
Quoted for truth.

As someone who was born and raised in Shreveport, LA (the last capital of the Confederacy), I can say that it is very refreshing to live here. The people here aren't mean, but they wear their emotions on their sleeves. You can tell what people are thinking, and likewise I don't have to fake nice all the time.

Sure, I was raised to be respectful to strangers, and I still sir and ma'am my elders and superiors, but I also don't have to wear out my arm waving at everyone I see.

On a side note, though, I definitely do NOT like how much people honk their car horns here. Seriously, lay off the horns, they are for emergency use. The car in front of you waiting 2 seconds after the light turns green does not qualify as an emergency.
Disagree, I look at it as re-education of urban driving skills. If you're being a moron during rush hour traffic where people have to be somewhere, then YOU are wasting my time. Be on your game, know what you're doing, be courteous to the fact there are people behind you as you wave in every last person from the crosswalk (where they could probably walk half a block to the next light and cross just as fast).

The horn is also used to make people aware. There's tons of accidents in this city, cars hitting cars, and cars hitting people. Use your horn to make people aware. It doesn't have to be justified by an emergency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,035,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
But it's ridiculous to say that New York is any different. It it's different, it's MORE "stand-offish". And both cities get an unfair rap for being "unfriendly".
that's true, you get hard arses everywhere. you just have to occupy yourself/time with the positive side of things otherwise you'll find yourself looking for the worst in everyone. and i don't know about you, but there seems to be a TON of handicap/mentally ill homeless people in the loop lately. so you have to let hard looks fly otherwise you'll be in for a very, very trippy experience.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
Quote:
But it's ridiculous to say that New York is any different. It it's different, it's MORE "stand-offish". And both cities get an unfair rap for being "unfriendly".
I agree entirely. It's because people expect people from NYC to be rude, but they expect people from Chicago to nice. It seems to be easier to accept that people are nicer, than some people not being nice, if that makes sense. It's all the same thing... people will be people no matter where you go.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM

211 posts, read 395,000 times
Obviously, a subjective query. But, that does not mean your observation is wrong or mistaken. You are probably familiar with the biblical concept of "evil" and "satan". You have a situation, where Chicago could be the epicenter of whatever notion you have of pure evil. I'm old. Been here a very long time. I try to abstain from metaphysics, religion, or superstition. But, things people do in Chicago defy "logic".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I am what you would call a people watcher. Has anyone ever noticed the dirty looks people give eachother......for no apparent reason?

I mean you can be on a crowded train and just barely touch someone and all of a sudden comes the "mean mug".

Folks give dirty looks like none other. It's as if everyone wants to be "tough" or something.

I just happen to notice a lot of this last week.

Gee-whiz, relax people..........

Old 04-29-2009, 06:33 PM

233 posts, read 701,349 times
Did I miss where we learned what part of NYC dementor is from?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Did I miss where we learned what part of NYC dementor is from?
Dementor could be from anywhere in NYC, but here are my best guesses:

Ohio

Nevada

Missouri

Texas

California

Washington State

Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenickels View Post
Obviously, a subjective query. But, that does not mean your observation is wrong or mistaken. You are probably familiar with the biblical concept of "evil" and "satan". You have a situation, where Chicago could be the epicenter of whatever notion you have of pure evil. I'm old. Been here a very long time. I try to abstain from metaphysics, religion, or superstition. But, things people do in Chicago defy "logic".
Is this yet another veiled werido conservative slam on Obama and Chicago from someone who has never been here? Before Obama, the Chicago forum was a nice quiet place. Now we are constantly attacked as "godless" and "evil" by fruitcake morons who have never set foot in Chicago. The Blago thing didn't help either. But if there is a place in the United States that is the epicenter of evil, I'm pretty sure it's in a Waffle House off of I-75.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Is this yet another veiled werido conservative slam on Obama and Chicago from someone who has never been here? Before Obama, the Chicago forum was a nice quiet place. Now we are constantly attacked as "godless" and "evil" by fruitcake morons who have never set foot in Chicago. The Blago thing didn't help either. But if there is a place in the United States that is the epicenter of evil, I'm pretty sure it's in a Waffle House off of I-75.
Evilsburg, Pennsylvania. Hoo, if I don't regret not reading that sign the first time.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
But if there is a place in the United States that is the epicenter of evil, I'm pretty sure it's in a Waffle House off of I-75.
Nope. It's the Adult World XXX next to The Giant Cross. Although I'm pretty sure there's a Waffle House off that exit as well. So you weren't too far off.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Nope. It's the Adult World XXX next to The Giant Cross. Although I'm pretty sure there's a Waffle House off that exit as well. So you weren't too far off.
But their discounts are truly as heinous as they advertise on the TV. Are you sure they're evil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago