Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times

Advertisements

A lot of the bitching on this board is about taxes in Chicago.

Let me tell you about other places. I lived in Philly, where you pay 4.5% of you income just for the priviledge of living there. At the same time I worked in Wilmington, where I paid 1.5% for the priviledge of working there. Meanwhile, property tax on a $525,000 home was over $10,000 a year. So for a person making $50,000; Local taxes alone (before state or federal) were 26%, Then they had a 6.5% sales tax.

So I'll take your new sales tax any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 07:46 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
I'm glad I'm from Chicago......so what's your point? I don't think people are just mad that the sales tax is the highest in the country- they are also make that CTA fares are going up, gas prices in Chicago are some of the highest in the country, local politicians are crooks, parking cost downtown an arm and a leg, Chicago public schools suck, etc etc.... the list keeps getting longer my friend. I'm sure people in Chicago wouldn't be so upset if things were actually being done with their tax dollars instead of jagging the money off. If Chicago wants to continue to be an Alpha city it better get its act together

Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
the question is, does your separate/additional income tax drive people away the same way the sales tax drives away business?

I can't even begin to tell you how many people I know who either leave the City for major purchases, or who buy primarily on the Internet.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
I'm glad I'm from Chicago......so what's your point?

He made his point clearly.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Well you mentioned Philly...lol. That's like the worst city in America for everything. Just google "Ugliest City in the World" and you'll get Philadelphia. An average looking person in Chicago would be a 9 or a 10 in philly. They have the country's ugliest folks according to websites like these:

Gawker - Is Philadelphia Really The Ugliest? - how hard could it be?

Next time, you should mention San Diego or Miami or some other town other than Philadelphia.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I guess I'm oblivious. I don't have kids and grew up elsewhere, so while I follow CPS activities (had teacher as roommate for 5 years), it doesn't really get into my personal life except for the product it produces on the west/south sides.

I don't have a car luckly, so I just sat back with a bag of popcorn and watch the traffic, parking meter rates, city stickers, and high gas prices.

CTA I'm actually fine with paying $84 or whatever for a monthly pass. I use it 2-4 times a day.

I guess I should pay more attention to sales taxes, but honestly I don't at all. I don't make large purchases though, but I don't think I'd really care that much. I'm normally out of state anyway visiting home when I get something big, and their taxes are like 5%.

Sometimes I get all doom and gloom additude when I come on here and think about the taxes, corruption, meter issues, crime rate, etc. Then I walk around though and realize I'm actually pretty lucky that a lot of it doesn't really hit me in "my" Chicago. Do others find that as well? Maybe I should just start paying more attention. I'm perfectly happy with my life here, I always feel like I'm suppose to be more "upset".

Old 06-05-2009, 08:06 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Well you mentioned Philly...lol. That's like the worst city in America for everything. Just google "Ugliest City in the World" and you'll get Philadelphia. An average looking person in Chicago would be a 9 or a 10 in philly. They have the country's ugliest folks according to websites like these:

Gawker - Is Philadelphia Really The Ugliest? - how hard could it be?

Next time, you should mention San Diego or Miami or some other town other than Philadelphia.
haha, ME-OW

Old 06-05-2009, 08:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I guess I'm oblivious. I don't have kids and grew up elsewhere, so while I follow CPS activities (had teacher as roommate for 5 years), it doesn't really get into my personal life except for the product it produces on the west/south sides.

I don't have a car luckly, so I just sat back with a bag of popcorn and watch the traffic, parking meter rates, city stickers, and high gas prices.

CTA I'm actually fine with paying $84 or whatever for a monthly pass. I use it 2-4 times a day.

I guess I should pay more attention to sales taxes, but honestly I don't at all. I don't make large purchases though, but I don't think I'd really care that much. I'm normally out of state anyway visiting home when I get something big, and their taxes are like 5%.

Sometimes I get all doom and gloom additude when I come on here and think about the taxes, corruption, meter issues, crime rate, etc. Then I walk around though and realize I'm actually pretty lucky that a lot of it doesn't really hit me in "my" Chicago. Do others find that as well? Maybe I should just start paying more attention. I'm perfectly happy with my life here, I always feel like I'm suppose to be more "upset".
me too. i still refuse to complain about the sales tax because I also do not buy big expensive crap that i don't need, and I can't complain about 2.25% on groceries, not when I came from where it was 8.25%+ for basic food needs.

also, people that are vandalizing the parking meters are really classy. especially in Andersonville? come on. next thing you know the yuppsters will be tagging their starbux gang signs everywhere.

P.S. I tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I'm with you.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:04 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I don't like the idea of saying "Well it doesn't really affect ME, so it's not like I'm going to complain".

Lots of things don't affect me personally that would hit several posters on this board. Make the sales tax 20%; I wouldn't really notice. Raise property taxes; I can afford it.

However, that attitude is a prime example of the kind of ignorance and passiveness that leads to far greater problems. Sooner rather than later, it WILL affect you personally. No one lives in a bubble, and no one should know that more than city dwellers. The chain of give and take is especially tight around our necks.

Sooner or later, high taxes will affect you. Especially higher taxes from the corrupt, worthless sacks of suck that run Chicago. It's already evident, if you know what to look for. The chaotic, shambling neighborhoods, the schools that don't have a prayer of getting their **** in gear, parking meters that really do discourage shoppers and failed infrastructure. What more do we need to show us that we're part of a community, noy just a collection of apartments and individual interests?

We're supposed to be better than those suburban ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago