Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 7,243 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am 19 years old, live in Boston currently, but looking to move to Chicago in the fall. I will be taking classes, and working at the Cheesecake factory downtown. (I know.. I know... I am transfering from the boston store).

I am looking at apartment in the Lincoln Park, Lakeview area, and probably will be traveling on the red line.

In Boston, I feel okay taking the train late at night, but maybe because its my city. I was wondering how the Red line is between 12-1am?

I ask that because even though I will have a car, I wont be able to park anywhere on Michigan Ave, and will have to take the train at night sometimes.. since the restaurant doesnt close untill 12:30am or 11pm I will have to take the train at the Chicago stop up to Lincoln Park.

Is it terribly unsafe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I've taken it at that time MANY times... On the North Side, that is. It's usually safe, but you definitely have to keep your eyes open and make sure no one follows you home from the station. Whether or not you're male or female might change my answer, however.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,243 times
I am a female... and I understand use common sense... but common sense is "not taking the train at those hours", but I will have to either way. Is there parking new some station up north? where I could jump in the car and drive to my apartment?

In Boston, there were train parking station you pay like 5 bucks...and park near the train..

Old 04-03-2008, 01:10 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
If you are looking to move to Lincoln Park or lakeview, finding parking near your apartment would be a bit tricky unless you paid for it, especially late at night. Also, none of the 'el' stations in those neighborhoods having any parking whatsoever. The only 'el' stations with parking are usually much further out closer to the edge of the city (or with the case with the Brown Line, is the very last stop of the line).

Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I've taken the L late at night 50-60 times in the past 6 years. I've seen some drunk, crazy and weird people on the train, but I suppose it's kinda expected at that hour, ha.

I've never felt threatened, and I've never seen anything dangerous happen, crime, someone getting hurt, etc. Obviously you should keep an eye out for danger or something suspicious, but I wouldn't spend too much time WORRYING about it.

It's a fairly busy train line, and you're traveling up to a nice area of town. Most of the creepy people on the train at that hour are probably going to be sleeping in their seats or spaced out sitting down.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I've done it many times no problem. Keep your eyes open, don't do it drunk and you'll be just fine.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM

391 posts, read 1,302,914 times
I thought the belmont or wilson stop had a parkin garage by it.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 PM

190 posts, read 982,145 times
Is there a bus route that runs along Michigan Avenue close to where you live in LP that runs at that hour?

During my short trip there a few weeks ago I was taking the Red Line back and forth between LP and the South Loop -- it all seemed okay. After 11PM it gets a little less crowded and the passengers turn a little more rowdy. It's a mix of hoods from the South Side and drunk kids returning home to LP.

The bus routes seem to be a little safer late, late at night.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonechka View Post
I am a female... and I understand use common sense... but common sense is "not taking the train at those hours", but I will have to either way. Is there parking new some station up north? where I could jump in the car and drive to my apartment?

In Boston, there were train parking station you pay like 5 bucks...and park near the train..
But common sense from 600 miles away isn't aware that those trains will be pretty full even at 12:30am, because the Red Line (the northern portion in particular) is the city's primary Nightlife Shuttle. So in other words, you should be just fine. The bigger issue will be the walk to the station at that time of night. The area around the Hancock (where the Cheese Factory is) is generally quite safe -- and also fairly abandoned by the time 12:30am rolls around. The good news is that it's only a 3-block walk.

Parking permit or not, you may have considerable difficulty finding convenient parking in Lakeview. Generally speaking, the closer to the Lakefront you are, the tighter it gets. West of, say, Racine, you should have no problems finding parking during the day and maybe very early evening. Come home at 10pm though and all bets are off. So you may find you won't use your car very much.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
I thought the belmont or wilson stop had a parkin garage by it.
Nope. Certainly no cheapie two-dollar CTA Park & Ride lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago