Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If you need help with the cost of the celebration then you should scale it back to something more modest; rent a VFW hall and do a potluck dinner. Don't worry, the people who love you would still enjoy themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's total B.S. to spend a lot on a wedding and to expect guests to pay for it.
Absolutely. A wedding is not a fundraiser, and a gift is not an entrance fee. A bride who sent me an invitation with the implication that I pay my way or cover my plate would receive a polite RSVP of "no thank you." My not going = no expense, so I wouldn't have to send a gift. Maybe I should send a dollar to cover my invitation's postage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:38 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
It's pretty hard to think like that and not sound like a jerk, or be one for that matter.

If you need help with the cost of the celebration then you should scale it back to something more modest; rent a VFW hall and do a potluck dinner. Don't worry, the people who love you would still enjoy themselves.

But if you want to make a grand gesture then pay for it yourself with no strings attached. For one thing if you really can't afford the gesture it's not so goddam grand, is it?
Different strokes I suppose.

I personally would never attend a wedding to signify my apprieciation for the bride and groom and do so in a manner that I knowingly caused them to spend money for me to attend. I think that is rude.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
Quote:
The crassness and greed of many newlyweds today drives Miss Manners totally bonkers. She's pretty funny, she can really gut people and sound nice doing it.
Greed?

How can expecting that people AT LEAST pay their way for the celebration be greedy? Thats like being invited to a party and contributing 20 bucks to the beer fund and drinking 100 bucks worth and saying "don't be so greedy" when called on it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Different strokes I suppose.

I personally would never attend a wedding to signify my apprieciation for the bride and groom and do so in a manner that I knowingly caused them to spend money for me to attend. I think that is rude.
I assume you don't have any elderly relatives on fixed incomes, then? No friends with college debt who might pool their money to get one gift because they can't afford otherwise? No young relatives who don't have $200 to spend on you? Perhaps you just didn't invite them so they wouldn't embarrass themselves, the poor dears.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 AM

BTW, GoCubs, that was very kind of you.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Greed?

How can expecting that people AT LEAST pay their way for the celebration be greedy? Thats like being invited to a party and contributing 20 bucks to the beer fund and drinking 100 bucks worth and saying "don't be so greedy" when called on it.

When I throw a party there is no "beer fund", I supply all the food and drink, it's my pleasure to do so. It's called being a "host".

Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Greed?

I'm sorry, but it sounds VERY greedy to me. Weddings aren't free. Every manners expert I've ever read agrees that wedding gifts are supposed to be what you personally think is appropriate (or what you can afford). Several years ago you started hearing rumblings about how the cost of wedding gifts should cover the cost of your meal and drinks, but this has been summarily rejected by nearly every expert. The idea that the guests shold not just cover their food and drinks, but ALL of the other crap you decided to spend money on is beyond ridiculous. People routinely spend $50,000 on weddings with 200 guests around Chicago, and I guarantee they're not pulling in anywhere near $250 per guest.

And since when have you ever received beer money from friends who come to your house on a Saturday night? That's just tacky. Buy the damn beer. They'll do the same when you're at their house.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
Quote:
It's pretty hard to think like that and not sound like a jerk, or be one for that matter.

But if you want to make a grand gesture then pay for it yourself with no strings attached. For one thing if you really can't afford the gesture it's not so goddam grand, is it?
Lord help me - I agree with IrishTom.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM

121 posts, read 322,875 times
You sound like a real DBag. I would definitely decline your invitation.

If you think you're going to even get half of that 28k back - you're dreaming buddy. Half the attendees are going to give china and the $300 mixer you use 1-time a year. The other half will not even come close to averaging $372/couple. If the only way you can afford the wedding is with guests covering the costs, then you've made a big mistake.

I've been to plenty of weddings. From the downtown hotels to ones hosted in community centers. They all really blend into each other now. Family, friends, and booze matter a lot more than how elegant the venue was.

p.s., 167 guests and 28k is a pretty average wedding. Get over yourself.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Greed?

You expect people to be so grateful that you included them on a list that they must now supply you with $400 to attend your event, lest they be considered rude?

Interesting way to look at friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: