Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 PM

113 posts, read 374,480 times

Advertisements

Mountains!

LOL -- I know it's a silly answer -- and honestly, I LOVED my time at Northwestern Univ. and in Chicagoland.

I'm from back east and I missed the topography, that's all. Nothing Chicago can really do about that short of "moving mountains."

That said, your city is FANTASTIC! It's not missing anything. To think it is is like navel-gazing.

I live in a city now, (New Haven CT,) that's missing a lot of things... We're working on it though.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Because for a downtown the size of Chicago and prominence, it gets very dead at night. Once on a summer night on a Saturday around 10pm I was housesitting for my sister in the Loop, decided to take a walk to the bar and it was depressing because no one was out. It was a beautiful night. The Loop doesn't have to be the center of nightlife for the city, but it really lacks nightlife in general.

My question to you, what's wrong with having nightlife in the Loop? I was shocked for as dumpy as L.A.'s downtown was, it had a much better nightlife than Chicago's. It was a cool experience to be sitting in an outdoor lounge, hands in drink and looking up to some of L.A.'s highest skyscrapers. With this being said I think L.A.'s downtown sucks.
I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with having nightlife in the Loop. I asked why it's so important for this one square mile to have nightlife when it's literally surrounded by nightlife that's no more than a 4 minute cab ride from any part of the loop in any direction. As if somehow the city is deficient because this one particular section of downtown doesn't have nightlife when it's literally surrounded by easily accessible nightlife in every possible direction.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,997,036 times
Chicago is missing a red light district area.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:14 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,174,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
IMO the only thing the loop needs are some good local coffee places (at least in my area). I hate only having options of Caribou, Starbucks, or Dunkin. I dont know why anyone would want to come back to or into the loop to go out to dinner. I would rather go into a neighborhood where it has some character and parking isnt 6 bucks an hour.
You haven't looked very hard, have you?

Intelligentsia, arguably the best local coffee and among the best in the country, has two locations in the Loop.

Lavazza, while not local, has coffee that's better than Starbuck's and has several Loop locations. There's also Liberty Coffee and Tea.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:32 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Intelligentsia, arguably the best local coffee and among the best in the country, has two locations in the Loop.

Lavazza, while not local, has coffee that's better than Starbuck's and has several Loop locations. There's also Liberty Coffee and Tea.
Theres not an Intelligenstia by my work, I believe Speciality's deli serves Intelligenstia, I tried it a few times and wasnt impressed. There is a Larazza a few blocks away from me, will give it a shot.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
You might look for an Argo Tea nearby as well.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 PM

98 posts, read 97,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with having nightlife in the Loop. I asked why it's so important for this one square mile to have nightlife when it's literally surrounded by nightlife that's no more than a 4 minute cab ride from any part of the loop in any direction. As if somehow the city is deficient because this one particular section of downtown doesn't have nightlife when it's literally surrounded by easily accessible nightlife in every possible direction.
The Loop is dead after hours and on weekends. I think because it is the center area of skyscrapers people expect it to be busy, which it isn't. The nightlife starts north with hits and misses up to Wrigleyville.

Couple things Chicago is missing: real street life, red light disctrict, a hill, corner delis, population growth, job growth.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:27 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failte View Post
The Loop is dead after hours and on weekends. I think because it is the center area of skyscrapers people expect it to be busy, which it isn't. The nightlife starts north with hits and misses up to Wrigleyville.

Couple things Chicago is missing: real street life, red light disctrict, a hill, corner delis, population growth, job growth.
Hookers aint that hard to find bruh...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Hookers aint that hard to find bruh...
I'm not looking but there ain't a red light disctrict here...Daley actually made the city much more bland/dull/vanilla...

Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Ever since Intelligentsia changed its coffee a couple years back I haven't liked the coffee and do not go there anymore...so, the coffee is bad which matches the attitude of many of the workers the Broadway store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago