Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM

92 posts, read 309,609 times

Advertisements

I asked this question along with another question in an earlier post and the cab portion did not get answered. If you are living in Western area of River North (along Hudson Avenue), can you usually hail a cab outside your building? If not, how far East do you usually have to walk to find one or do you call one? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 01:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
If I can hail a cab way the hell up in Irving Park, surely you should be able to hail a cab anywhere in River North. I know there's a lot of public housing in that area along Hudson, and this isn't a polite thing to say but it's true: they'll pick you up anyway if you're white.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:07 PM

143 posts, read 440,321 times
what if you are asian? They will just kick you to the curb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If I can hail a cab way the hell up in Irving Park, surely you should be able to hail a cab anywhere in River North. I know there's a lot of public housing in that area along Hudson, and this isn't a polite thing to say but it's true: they'll pick you up anyway if you're white.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
My wife and I recently saw a black guy in Buena Park get rejected by three open cabs in a row. It was pretty outrageous. Asian? Not a problem. The cabbies don't want to drive in to black neighborhoods because they are afraid of being robbed.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillejane View Post
what if you are asian? They will just kick you to the curb?
Sure.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

11 posts, read 29,241 times
Yeah…racism is still a strong thing here. Sad but true.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:43 AM
mh7

102 posts, read 332,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelbravo View Post
Yeah…racism is still a strong thing here. Sad but true.
Is it still racism if a black cab driver doesn't want to pick up a black passenger?

Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
so if you have been robbed 3 times by AA gangbangers if you dont pick up a guy with pants down and 9mm are you a klan member? how bout if you are AA cabdriver?
the card is old, lets get a fresh deck.
signed
a chicago native
former resident

Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelbravo View Post
Yeah…racism is still a strong thing here..
So is reality. And the reality is, it's typically not white people robbing cabbies in that neighborhood and shooting them in the head (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/cabbie-critically-hurt-in-near-north-shooting.html - broken link) -- or in any other neighborhood either. It's fine to be polite and pretend like we're all just the same and trot out the standard tropes of how "not all black people are criminals" and the like when there's nothing at stake. But if you were out there putting your own life on the line, I'm roughly 90% certain you'd be just as selective as those cabbies are. It's easy to shout "racism" from the comfort of your computer chair, probably in a nice cushy white-collar neighborhood. But they can't afford to pretend like there's no statistical difference in risks if they want to make it home alive and intact that day.

Like one cabbie explained to me, "if you look like the type of person the city tells me I have to pick up, I'm not picking you up."

Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
My wife and I recently saw a black guy in Buena Park get rejected by three open cabs in a row. It was pretty outrageous. Asian? Not a problem. The cabbies don't want to drive in to black neighborhoods because they are afraid of being robbed.
I had a random realization of this as well a few weeks ago. I hail cabs up in Uptown all the time, and they will pull over 100% of the time the second I start to raise my hand. Hell, lots of times if I'm even near the street they slow down and honk.

I was in my usual spots with 3 black friends though, and one of them was the closest to the curb so he was trying to hail us a cab. Two cabs flew right by with their top lights on. I was floored for a half a second, because NEVER in 9 years have I had a single empty cab just drive right by me. My friends just laughed and said "ugh - white man - come get us a cab". I went ahead of the three of them, hailed the next cab - and of course he pulled over immediatly.

I felt a little stupid and said "wow", but they just chuckled about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago