Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

matter of context, life is harsh brutal and short in the mideast. a promise of paradise is not far off from the one promised by islam. here and now, we live a long time and many live well. that does not always produce gratitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 01:05 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
matter of context, life is harsh brutal and short in the mideast. a promise of paradise is not far off from the one promised by islam. here and now, we live a long time and many live well. that does not always produce gratitude.
Life wasn't always short, harsh, and brutal in the mideast. There is a reason for that mess over there. Also, many do not live well here in the U.S. and it has nothing to do with ingratitude. Mental and spiritual sorrow and confusion has much to do with the breakdown of our society.

Giving people bread and a roof doesn't always clear that up.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:08 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Universalism - what happened?

It was denounced as heresy, as it should have been. It negates the need for the cross and gives the redeeming work to the sinner, that has no faith!
What? I can't believe you don't at least try and learn what the doctrine of Christian Universalism actually says. Negates the need for the cross?

Look - if you want to be a successful heretic head-hunter you have to learn what you are hunting.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I hope I have impacted the people around me in a positive way.
You have and do and it's quite the testimony because of what you've been through. Done some helling here too but I think not as much as you.
Quote:
I believe true change comes from the bottom, not the top.
Is that why they call it "grassroots" ?
Quote:
NOW is the time to change, yes. And I believe that my refusal to give into the hopelessness and darkness that surrounded me changed a few people's life forever and will ripple outward. That is how it works, in my humble opinion. EVERYTHING we do matters. Every single little thing, whether we know it or not.
You were like a breath of fresh air coming in here - and I have been touched by the ripples...

Old 07-14-2010, 01:24 AM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
You have and do and it's quite the testimony because of what you've been through. Done some helling here too but I think not as much as you.

Is that why they call it "grassroots" ?

You were like a breath of fresh air coming in here - and I have been touched by the ripples...
Grassroots, yes. And, thank you, firstborn. I know you need that healing as much as anybody, from what little you have talked about in your posts.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,436,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
What? I can't believe you don't at least try and learn what the doctrine of Christian Universalism actually says. Negates the need for the cross?
Hmmmm let's see...

Christ was judged for our sins...by this judgement we have eternal life.

Man doesn't believe in Christ...he is judged for his sins, and gets eternal life.

Negates the cross.

Only one power gets rid of sin, and that is in Christ, not in man.

Quote:
Look - if you want to be a successful heretic head-hunter you have to learn what you are hunting.
I am and have. None of you can wrap your heads around your own failure in philosophy. It breaks down at the core.
No wonder it is outside of the church, completely.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm let's see...

Christ was judged for our sins...by this judgement we have eternal life.

Man doesn't believe in Christ...he is judged for his sins, and gets eternal life.

Negates the cross.

Only one power gets rid of sin, and that is in Christ, not in man.
Okay - I see your reasoning. So actually - it negates the cross from your view.

You do understand though - from the UR view: all will ultimately see and believe, right? No negating of the cross from our view.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:31 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,379 times
Quote:
hmmmm...unconditional love....for those that keep His commandments yes...UR does not proclaim unconditional love...what it proclaims is that in essence, Jesus' death was insufficient....so therefore, it is conditional.
I'm not following this, can you expand?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
hmmmm...unconditional love....for those that keep His commandments yes...UR does not proclaim unconditional love...what it proclaims is that in essence, Jesus' death was insufficient....so therefore, it is conditional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I'm not following this, can you expand?
And I thought I was alone...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Sciota you have got to be having a laugh . Everything you and the rest of the fundy's believe makes out God is insufficient in all things .

Does this verse tell us His love is conditional to those who keep His commandments or towards those while they were yet sinners ?

6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity