Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
YES wife and I are........your point????
Is your goal to be Christ-like?...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do you reach people if you isolate yourselves like that?

I hear the f word all the time, and it doesn't bother me because hearing it is unavoidable. What am I supposed to do? Quit my job and quit playing golf so I wouldn't hear it? No can do. Also, it is not my job to police people. I play golf with someone who likes to smoke cannabis, and I used to wonder if I should distance myself from him, but I have decided not to, because if I did, then who is going to talk to him about Jesus? Aren't the profane the ones who need to hear the message more than the ones who are already saved?

PS Some Christians smoke. I think they understand it does not glorify God etc, but they are simply unable to stop smoking. Nicotine addiction is extremelly hard to break, and many have prayed for years for strength to quit.
As Christ said it is not what goes into your mouth that defiles you but what comes out of it...and i agree with you...

Old 08-12-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I dont' think asthma is the reason. You could simply ask them to not smoke around her. It sounds like you have simply decided to not associate with people with such habits, even if they were Christian. Nothing wrong with that, but they might think you resent them. But again, it is your choise.

I have noticed the older people prefer the s-o-b words rather than the f-bomb.
There is a lot wrong with that...is is not Christ like...be in the world and not of it...

Old 08-12-2010, 04:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
There is a lot wrong with that...is is not Christ like...be in the world and not of it...
I was trying to avoid making him feel guilty while still making the point I wanted to make.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM

122 posts, read 191,430 times
Quote:
As Christ said it is not what goes into your mouth that defiles you but what comes out of it...and i agree with you...

Quote:
Amen....

Old 08-12-2010, 07:37 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Ok, Richard1965, we think you've made your point very clear about Christmas and profanity (I think).........you don't celebrate the birth of Christ and profanity is somewhat ok with you. I'm sure a lot of other Christians would totally disagree with you and a lot of them just thank the Dear Lord that not everyone thinks the way you do!! Your opinion is just that........your opinion! I'm sure the Pastor at our church would love to go one-on-one with you in a discussion about Christmas and profanity.
Oh, well, as the old saying goes......"to each their own"....I guess.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
You are forgiven! I just laughed so hard I nearly cried! On a similar note - when my father was in Hebrew school (or whatever it's called) - the teacher asked the class if anyone knew who Moses was. My father raised his hand and said, "He's my grandfather!" He got in trouble. He was actually being serious!
Awww! poor little guy!

Quote:
for a long time when i was a kid i felt the words puerto rican were bad, probably because of the way i heard them used by adults, so, i would ask someone if they were Hispanic instead...
I purposely taught my children that "shut up" was a bad-word phrase. They were quite old when they learned that most people didn't think so, but i was determined that in our home, it was.

Quote:
What is wrong with saying 'oh, my God'?...
Some people see it as taking G-d's Name in vain, because "G-d" is the word most often used for Him while in prayer or in reference to Him. I understand and believe similarly. I often use that term while in prayer or in reference to Him, so to use it as an epithet, to use it in disregard, to use it in any ugly way, is out of the question.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Some people see it as taking G-d's Name in vain, because "G-d" is the word most often used for Him while in prayer or in reference to Him. I understand and believe similarly. I often use that term while in prayer or in reference to Him, so to use it as an epithet, to use it in disregard, to use it in any ugly way, is out of the question.
Like I said, I do try not to say it around people that I think will be offended by it! "A" for effort but probably a "C" on my follow through since when I say "Godsh" they can probably tell what I was going to say! I just don't think about it. My mom says "Oh Guy!" all the time. I don't know where she got that from but I have a feeling it's a Japanese American thing.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times
Quote:
What is wrong with saying 'oh, my God'?...
Commandment #3

I can't believe you even asked this....

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Like I said, I do try not to say it around people that I think will be offended by it! "A" for effort but probably a "C" on my follow through since when I say "Godsh" they can probably tell what I was going to say! I just don't think about it. My mom says "Oh Guy!" all the time. I don't know where she got that from but I have a feeling it's a Japanese American thing.
Mother, a religious woman, would say "lordy, lordy" and "lord-a-mercy" as epithets or euphemisms, yet she would be very offended if someone said, "god" in the same manner! One time, when she said the "lordy-lordy" thing, I answered in my deepest voice, "You called?" (or something like that), and she was very offended. That was telling.

However, I say things like "good night," "good grief," "oh, my!" and "what in the world?" Oh -- and the infamous "whatever." Those will also offend people, some of them saying that the first two, especially, has religious implications.

Sure, I like to keep my language clean, but how much better to just keep our thoughts clean before G-d! I could easily keep my language clean but still entertain all kinds of unrighteous thoughts. G-d knows who I really am.

In fact, when my present husband and I were going through some serious issues for a few years (up to about 2-1/2 years ago, I never opened my mouth against him or spoke to him in a negative manner. But if he could have read my thoughts! He would have been shocked, hurt, angry, and more! We would be divorced today.

Our words certainly carry weight, but our real thoughts carry far more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity