Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Today it seems like the only place people can be and not hear profanity is inside a church. I read an article on MSN this AM about profanity at the workplace. Some say "it's our right to say what we want to so we can release anger at work". A certain number of professional people say profanity at the workplace should not be allowed at all. Actually, these professionals and Christians are very outnumbered by the people that will come out and tell us "take a hike!" (or even worse) if we say we don't like hearing it.
So, how do Christians deal with all these people in today's society that seem to love using profanity??? I told two co-workers once time that I really didn't like them talking to me and using the "f" word. My relationship with both of them went downhill and, of course, Management and HR don't like employees that complain about co-workers.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,212,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Today it seems like the only place people can be and not hear profanity is inside a church. I read an article on MSN this AM about profanity at the workplace. Some say "it's our right to say what we want to so we can release anger at work". A certain number of professional people say profanity at the workplace should not be allowed at all. Actually, these professionals and Christians are very outnumbered by the people that will come out and tell us "take a hike!" (or even worse) if we say we don't like hearing it.
So, how do Christians deal with all these people in today's society that seem to love using profanity??? I told two co-workers once time that I really didn't like them talking to me and using the "f" word. My relationship with both of them went downhill and, of course, Management and HR don't like employees that complain about co-workers.
Sticks and stones..............

Old 08-10-2010, 09:49 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
The "f" bomb makes me cringe so I hear ya there. I don't know that there is anything you can do about it except to tell people you don't want to hear it. I think you did the right thing by telling them, it's on them if the relationships went downhill after that. I'm guilty of a few expletives when I get angry or hurt but to use profanity every other word in normal conversation is just completely unacceptable in my opinion. I hate it.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM

59 posts, read 126,905 times
What exactly makes a word "bad?" What made the F word unacceptable? Society?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,556 times
You did a very similar thread to this a while back. Plenty of Christians responded. Perhaps you should review your old thread instead of starting a new one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...r-so-much.html

Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 AM

45,581 posts, read 27,180,466 times
I don't see it as a big deal - unless Christians are doing the cursing. The world is the world, and they will act like the world. Expect curse words to come out. All it shows is their lack of vocabulary when it comes to expressing themselves.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Profanity is one of the reasons I left my job and retired. I worked in a max-security prison for nearly 10 years and, needless to say, profanity was extremely rampant there. Seems like everybody cursed: the inmates, the guards, the staff, and probably the visitors too. (well...ok, not everyone: the chaplain didn't curse) Everywhere you turned there was somebody spewing the most vile language. You either learned to put up with it, or left, because you weren't going to change everyone. The place just "got to you" after awhile...it was bad. How do you live a holy life, when you have to work in a Sodom and Gomorrah?
When I was financially able, I left...

Bud

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Profanity is one of the reasons I left my job and retired. I worked in a max-security prison for nearly 10 years and, needless to say, profanity was extremely rampant there. Seems like everybody cursed: the inmates, the guards, the staff, and probably the visitors too. (well...ok, not everyone: the chaplain didn't curse) Everywhere you turned there was somebody spewing the most vile language. You either learned to put up with it, or left, because you weren't going to change everyone. The place just "got to you" after awhile...it was bad. How do you live a holy life, when you have to work in a Sodom and Gomorrah?
When I was financially able, I left...

Bud
Probably the same way Jesus did when he was hanging around, eating with and talking to all those nasty sinners.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Now that I've put this Thread into the Christianity forum, I thought I'd get a lot more of "it's wrong", "I hate it", "it's discusting"......along them lines of answers. But, I'm not and that REALLY, REALLY surprises me!!
Especially when reading replies like: "It's no big deal", "What exactly makes a bad word?", "what made the "f" word unacceptable?", "sticks and stones....."
These are not the comments/replies that I thought I'd get on a Christian forum!!
Profanity has gone so, so rapid today that it looks like even some Christians have accepted it......that is weird!
I just don't know what to think now

Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,211,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Now that I've put this Thread into the Christianity forum, I thought I'd get a lot more of "it's wrong", "I hate it", "it's discusting"......along them lines of answers. But, I'm not and that REALLY, REALLY surprises me!!
Especially when reading replies like: "It's no big deal", "What exactly makes a bad word?", "what made the "f" word unacceptable?", "sticks and stones....."
These are not the comments/replies that I thought I'd get on a Christian forum!!
Profanity has gone so, so rapid today that it looks like even some Christians have accepted it......that is weird!
I just don't know what to think now
Perhaps it's because inherently words are not bad...it is the connotation that people give to words that make them bad or profane in the eyes of certain people. Let's face it...it's not the actual words that offend but the offense come in the eyes of the person that hears the words...they relate the words they hear to something bad or profane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity