Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not allowed to talk about PM's in the public forum. If you'd like to openly discuss them, please post them here.

All I'm going to say here is this.

yes, I know the bible contradicts itself numerous times.
Please post the contradictions you have been talking about. You have mentioned them several times but have not given anything concrete.

Here are my thoughts on the apparent 'contradictions' between old and new testament. I am very interested in your reply.

The old Testament shows laws for people to follow so that they can be seen as perfect and worthy of God's mercy. The Old Testament also shows us that no one can live up to those laws. That is the reason for a savior. Look at the book of Judges, for example. Judges follows a cyclical pattern. Israel becomes depraved, selfish and loses sight of God. God then raises a champion up to correct his people. The people repent, but then slowly fall back into their wicked ways. Again, God raises up another Champion. That is a great model for the point of the Bible as a whole - people cannot sustain the law of Moses on their own. That is the point of sacrifices in the old testament.

The coming of a Savior nullifies the need for blood sacrifices and shows the inadequacy of following the law (an impossibility for mankind).

An example of this is Romans 14:13-14

"Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way. As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no food is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean."

The law has changed with the coming of Jesus.

Another example is Galatians 2:19-21

"For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Read that last bit of that a few times. "If Righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing".

Christ came (the POINT of a messiah in a Biblical sense) is to resolve the problem of how to be righteous in the eyes of God. The concept that the law is still 100% valid today would mean Christ was not the messiah. You cannot believe Christ to be the savior and still believe in following the law of Moses to the letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Can you explain some of those differences? Do you have any links or literature on this?
Memphis has posted links several times...apparently no one has bothered to read them.

You can also peruse this site:

http://www.jesuswordsonly.com/

Old 08-26-2010, 02:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Memphis has posted links several times...apparently no one has bothered to read them.

You can also peruse this site:

Jesus words Only - Jesus words as the sole inspired portion of the New Testament Scripture.
I will counter your link with one of my own

The Authority of the Writings of Paul | Brethren Revival Fellowship

Do you have any response to what I have said in my last post? Instead of having a battle of who can find the best link, let's have a discussion.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:

Do you have any response to what I have said in my last post? Instead of having a battle of who can find the best link, let's have a discussion.
Sure...Let's have a discussion.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,196,375 times
Quote:
Paul vs. Jesus -- disagreement and contradictions between the Christian founders

This is the second time I'm posting this, and it will be the last. Either read it, or don't, its up to you.

It's a good link. Thank you.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:

Look, I already posted a link earlier that very clearly shows the distinctions and differences between the teachings of Paul, and his letters, and the teachings of Jesus.

Your link is summed up quite well with one line from it

The Apostle Paul himself claims divine inspiration for his writings

Just like Muhammad, and others. Even the Pope today claims divine inspiration. However, he was a Nazi youth, doesn't want to allow Catholics in countries where AIDS is rampant to use condoms, and tried to cover up priests molesting children.

Yeah, Paul was one of the first to claim divine inspiration. Jesus may have indeed sent Paul to spread the message, but then Paul twisted it into his vision of what the new religion should be, not what Jesus's was, which is clearly seen in the links in which I posted.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Quote:
Did you read any of the links or arguments I posted earlier?

I know it could be shaking to your faith to rationally look at the argument, but.

1. Jesus did say he came to fulfill the law, not to abolish it. Immediately followed by saying that if you don't follow his fathers laws, and tell others that they don't have to follow them that you will be counted least among those in heaven.

2. There are countless contradictions between Jesus and Christ, just read the link I posted earlier, I have no time to post each of the contradictions for you, the post would be to long.
and ...Jesus is The Christ The Son of God, and came to fulfill THE ROYAL LAW OF LIBERTY...that is to say The Ten Commandments...and in doing so he fulfilled the law contained in ordinances...that is to say the law of Moses. It was this law contained in ordinances, which Jesus Christ proved that none before him, during his earthly life and ministry, or after him could keep because of the inability or unwillingness of the same to obey THE ROYAL LAW OF LIBERTY, which was in Christ with God by the instrumentality of The Holy Spirit long before the Crown Jewell of all creation...namely Adam (man) was created. If a great cloud of witnesses are unable to persuade you of the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus, the apparent contradictions whereof you erroneously speak will remain within you. The Blessings of The Eternal One cause you to preach The Gospel of His Christ to the followers of Islam...

Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
and ...Jesus is The Christ The Son of God, and came to fulfill THE ROYAL LAW OF LIBERTY...that is to say The Ten Commandments...and in doing so he fulfilled the law contained in ordinances...that is to say the law of Moses. It was this law contained in ordinances, which Jesus Christ proved that none before him, during his earthly life and ministry, or after him could keep because of the inability or unwillingness of the same to obey THE ROYAL LAW OF LIBERTY, which was in Christ with God by the instrumentality of The Holy Spirit long before the Crown Jewell of all creation...namely Adam (man) was created. If a great cloud of witnesses are unable to persuade you of the simplicity that is in Christ Jesus, the apparent contradictions whereof you erroneously speak will remain within you. The Blessings of The Eternal One cause you to preach The Gospel of His Christ to the followers of Islam...
Again, as I said earlier, Jesus said that anyone who doesn't follow the law (in hebrew this means Torah), or tells others that they don't have to follow it, will be "counted lowest in heaven".

Read the subsequent posts.

This is why I wish this thread was started in the general section, not just the Christianity section. Of course most Christians believe that Jesus is God, and all that came from him is great, and they want to ignore the no eating pork, not killing gays, not killing non believers, etc.

But Jesus said that you were supposed to follow the Torah, there is no getting around that. Now Paul changed a lot of that later, but Paul wasn't Christ.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:05 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Quote:
Again, as I said earlier, Jesus said that anyone who doesn't follow the law (in hebrew this means Torah), or tells others that they don't have to follow it, will be "counted lowest in heaven".

Read the subsequent posts.

This is why I wish this thread was started in the general section, not just the Christianity section. Of course most Christians believe that Jesus is God, and all that came from him is great, and they want to ignore the no eating pork, not killing gays, not killing non believers, etc.

But Jesus said that you were supposed to follow the Torah, there is no getting around that. Now Paul changed a lot of that later, but Paul wasn't Christ.
Listen friend...you stumbled over the law and into a den of thieves and robbers. Forget about Davis...his words may seem sweet as honey, but his doctrine is poison administered by the adversary of your soul. With "doctors" like that you won't need insurance. The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you the peace of Christ...

Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Of course most Christians believe that Jesus is God, and all that came from him is great, and they want to ignore the no eating pork, not killing gays, not killing non believers, etc.
Did you mean to say "killing gays" and "killing non believers etc." ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity