Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Did you mean to say "killing gays" and "killing non believers etc." ?
Something like that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,620,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Something like that
I had a question earlier in the thread that I wish someone would tackle:
Quote:
Your points are 100% valid IMO. BUT the only reason we are talking about it is because leaders of modern nations with nuclear ambitions believe the old laws. And are fulfilling them now (stonings for adultery, a desire to wipe whole nations of infidels off the map etc).

So my question is - what is it about Islam which causes large portions of it's followers to take the ancient oppressive laws as for today?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
Memphis1979, I will read your link when I have time, as well as the others suggested here, if i can. I simply don't have the time to do it right now. I already have a post that comes first, and i haven't read it yet and responded to it -- not that it matters to you, but first things first.

However, I will make this comment: you enter your readings with your mind made up. So do I. I will see fallacy in your link. It's sure.

You give a link, another gives a link. But the one giving a link is met with derision. Interesting.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Your points are 100% valid IMO. BUT the only reason we are talking about it is because leaders of modern nations with nuclear ambitions believe the old laws. And are fulfilling them now (stonings for adultery, a desire to wipe whole nations of infidels off the map etc).

So my question is - what is it about Islam which causes large portions of it's followers to take the ancient oppressive laws as for today?
What makes Fundamentalists take everything written in the bible so word for word literally??? Only people who subscribe to that type of mentality can answer that question for you firstborn. IMHO...you are attempting to find answers from rational people for the actions of irrational people...I don't think this can be done.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Look, I already posted a link earlier that very clearly shows the distinctions and differences between the teachings of Paul, and his letters, and the teachings of Jesus.

Your link is summed up quite well with one line from it

The Apostle Paul himself claims divine inspiration for his writings

Just like Muhammad, and others. Even the Pope today claims divine inspiration. However, he was a Nazi youth, doesn't want to allow Catholics in countries where AIDS is rampant to use condoms, and tried to cover up priests molesting children.

Yeah, Paul was one of the first to claim divine inspiration. Jesus may have indeed sent Paul to spread the message, but then Paul twisted it into his vision of what the new religion should be, not what Jesus's was, which is clearly seen in the links in which I posted.
Claiming to be a profit (as Muhammad did) is very, very different than claiming divine inspiration!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Claiming to be a profit (as Muhammad did) is very, very different than claiming divine inspiration!
Tell us how the revelations these two men received are different? They both claimed revelation directly from God...which makes them both prophets of God...which means they were both divinely inspired to write what they did...so how, in your estimation, are they any different?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,744 times
Default The Truth

According to the quran Jesus was a prophet sent by God, and that a prophet sent by God cannot lie...know therefore and understand that Jesus is the Christ The Son of God. The Blessings of The Eternal One bring you joy...

Old 08-29-2010, 12:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Tell us how the revelations these two men received are different? They both claimed revelation directly from God...which makes them both prophets of God...which means they were both divinely inspired to write what they did...so how, in your estimation, are they any different?
Paul was reiterating that Jesus was the messiah, the Islamic faith teaches that Jesus was just another prophet. Muhammad didn't come to reiterate the fact of Jesus as a messiah.

That is a pretty major difference

Old 08-29-2010, 05:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Paul was reiterating that Jesus was the messiah, the Islamic faith teaches that Jesus was just another prophet. Muhammad didn't come to reiterate the fact of Jesus as a messiah.

That is a pretty major difference
Then why did he contradict Jesus, and change the religion to his own view? Jesus didn't support half of what Paul did.

Y'all keep ignoring the clear contradictions to Christs message in Pauls.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,253,467 times
When i get around to it, I can't wait to see how Paul contracicted Messiah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity