Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
A parable is a brief, succinct story, in prose or verse, that illustrates a moral or religious lesson

Everyone loves a story! Stories are fun yet informative.

You tell a story people are receptive. They listen, they absorb, they retell.

You preach and people shut down.

The story of the Prodigal son is known by christians and non christians. it has been repeated and rewritten many, many times.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigal_Son

One of the points of the parable is Unconditional Forgiveness. I don't claim to be a scholar nor all that religious so I will leave it to you to find the other meanings.

Years of catholic schools strikes again!
One of the points of the parable is Unconditional Forgiveness. I don't claim to be a scholar nor all that religious so I will leave it to you to find the other meanings.

Another important facet that is often overlooked with the parable of The Prodigal Son is also "Love", and I imagine that you would have to have agape love to forgive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:06 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Jesus taught in parables because humans are designed to learn through metaphor. We learn by comparing one thing to another. It makes sense that God would teach us in the most effective way according to how He created us.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Jesus taught in parables because humans are designed to learn through metaphor. We learn by comparing one thing to another. It makes sense that God would teach us in the most effective way according to how He created us.
I think there are many different ways of spiritual learning.
The Asian martial arts were developed in monestaries to enable spiritual growth by personality types who are more physical and less introspective.

There are people who have less heart and are more mentally-oriented, and are attracted to the logic behind religious philosophies. They will never accept just on someone's authority, but on figuring things out for themselves.

There are those among us who understand service and love of others.

I think god created as many paths to him/it as people. The Gnostics, as in many religions, instruct us to find god by looking within. So, if we nurture who we are and are open minded and learn from the lessons of our own lives, we cannot help but meet god. We may not call him that, but what's in a name, anyway?

Not everyone has a 'religious' bent, but we are all spiritual beings. That these people are not members of a formal church or readers of a particuar book do not make them less entitled to their spiritual inheritance than those of us who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity