Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Love is the answer.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 4:12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Its awesome!

Furthermore:
1 Cor 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is the most important thing. Its how you know God.
BINGO!!! Love is the answer and it is simple for every single being to understand... and once you take the test, establish that personal relationship, ask God to have his Holy Spirit bring to you his Divine Love... you will notice a difference... I truly believe that God's Divine Love living within us is the narrow pathway to the highest of heavens.. perhaps there will be more blind men their than biblical scholars ?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Love is the answer.

1 John 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 John 4:12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

Its awesome!

Furthermore:
1 Cor 13:1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is the most important thing. Its how you know God.
Double Bingo!! (Is there such a thing as double bingo? probably not, oh whatever.)

Old 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
So all of your faith - your entire relationship with God - is basically just the Bible? I guess that's just not the answer that I thought I would get. I was just under the assumption that most religious people had a more personal relationship with God - that they talked to God or felt like God talked to them. I didn't know that for some - it was only about the Bible.
Please don't misunderstand - this is not about me at all. I'm simply trying to understand your faith.
I would say that we certianly talk to God. We do that in prayer and that every time one reads the Bible, God is talking to us.

Have you not read:
1 Peter 3:12
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer...
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Santification" means to make holy. That is only found in the Word.
Jesus said: "Santify them through the truth, your word is truth"

Jesus didn't say: "Santify them through personal relationships and humanitarian philanthropy "

Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I would say that we certianly talk to God. We do that in prayer and that every time one reads the Bible, God is talking to us.

Have you not read:
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer...

Jesus didn't say: "Santify them through personal relationships and humanitarian philanthropy "
I'm not trying to debate you or anything - just learn more about how you view your faith. I guess it just seems a little more impersonal than I imagined. More like studying and learning a text book that you used for everything as opposed to a relationship. Please understand that I have no opinion of what is right or wrong - I think we all find what is right for us. It just seems more dogmatic and less... well, less of a relationship. But that is simply my point of view. If this is what fulfills you and brings you love and peace - then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesaves View Post
what about people who cannot read? or are not able to access a bible?
We can narrow it down very quickly if you're looking for excuses:

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to debate you or anything - just learn more about how you view your faith. I guess it just seems a little more impersonal than I imagined. More like studying and learning a text book that you used for everything as opposed to a relationship. Please understand that I have no opinion of what is right or wrong - I think we all find what is right for us. It just seems more dogmatic and less... well, less of a relationship. But that is simply my point of view. If this is what fulfills you and brings you love and peace - then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
I'm not trying to debate with you either. Just was surprised that is considered "the living and enduring word of God" would be considered impersonable.

Hopefully, the last thing that touches my hands before I enter heaven is the thing that santified me..."Santify them through the truth, your word is truth"

Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Dewdrop93,
I didn't leave out references to love. (John 3:16)
Do you think that Jesus saying "I tell you the truth" isn't loving?
You left out ALL of ! Corintians 13.
Quote:
1 Peter 1:23
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.
Through the living and enduring word of God is how a believer's relationship exisits. "Through the living and enduring word of God" is a person been born again ... and that is the foolishness of God that unbelievers deem it to be.
True . . . but the "the living and enduring word of God" is JESUS CHRIST and His Holy Spirit! . . . not some "dead" collection of books compiled by men, edited and decided upon through political councils, etc."written in ink" that are merely USEFUL (profitable) for instruction and to give us hope in Jesus.
Quote:
This "book" is more than just a book.
It's:
Wrong . . .none of those citations refer to the bible . . . they refer to the Word of God who is Jesus Christ.
Quote:
Personal life experiences are subject to emotions ... Where as Jesus is the same forever, all the time. Anything beyond the Bible is not the living and enduring word of God 1 Peter 1:23
Blasphemy. Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God . . . not your false idol the bible.
Quote:
When the time comes for people to meet Jesus face to face ... he will either be their loving Savior or a terrifing judge. John 3:36
Luckily for you there will be no terrifying judge . . . but a loving God who will correct your errors and misunderstandings . . . undoubtedly causing much regret, remorse and weeping and gnashing of teeth about those erros and misunderstandings.
Quote:
The most loving thing I can do is to repeat Jesus who announces "I tell you the truth"
I believe that is the limit of your love also, Twin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Very nice. Your passion for the word of God is proof of presence of the Spirit.
I see plenty of passion but no presence of the Holy Spirit in his post.

Quote:

Have you not read:

And the only Word that is Truth is Jesus Christ.

Quote:
Twin appears to be the quintessential Biblean, Dewdrop. The Bible is his idol

Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to debate with you either. Just was surprised that is considered "the living and enduring word of God" would be considered impersonable.

Hopefully, the last thing that touches my hands before I enter heaven is the thing that santified me..."Santify them through the truth, your word is truth"
Okay. It's just hard for me to see the Bible as anything more than a book. But obviously it is very dear to you - and that's what I need to understand.
Thank you.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Very nice. Your passion for the word of God is proof of presence of the Spirit.
Thanks Finn. We are sanctified through the word of God.

The only thing that we take into heaven from this earth is his word that dwells in our hearts.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Blasphemy. Jesus Christ is the Living Word of God . . . not your false idol the bible.
Jesus will never reveal anything to you that's not already in the Bible. The Holy Spirit will illuminate the words on the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity