Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 02:19 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you. Here is one of my favorite, old time hymns. It's often played during communion. There is so much in these words about the Christian life and struggle, so much more than "Ya ya Jesus Praise Him Praise Him" over and over again. I identify with the pain and longing of the poet who penned these words from the depth of his soul.

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
Wean it from earth; through all its pulses move;
Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art;
And make me love Thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
No sudden rending of the veil of clay,
No angel visitant, no opening skies;
But take the dimness of my soul away.

Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh;
Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear.
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh,
Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Hast Thou not bid me love Thee, God and King?
All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind.
I see Thy cross; there teach my heart to cling:
O let me seek Thee, and O let me find!

Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love,
One holy passion filling all my frame;
The kindling of the heaven descended Dove,
My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.
Thank you for posting this beautiful hymn. Couldn't rep you again but verbally I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I know that there are exceptions to this general rule, but I have noticed that liberal or moderate churches tend to worship in a very non-expressive style using organs, choirs, and traditional historic hymns. In contrast, conservative/evangelical Christians today tend to worship in a very expressive, exuberant style that features contemporary praise and worship styles, orchestras or bands, and worship teams. Conservative Christians tend to be the ones raising their hands, dancing, jumping, shouting out, clapping, and crying, although not all conservative Christian worship services feature such exuberant worship. Interestingly, the fastest growing churches and movements almost always feature the more expressive contemporary praise and worship style. If a church is using rap or rock music in its worship, you can bet it is an evangelical/charismatic/Pentecostal church. Why would liberal churches be most resistance to modern worship and exuberant worship, whereas conservatives would be most embracing?
Conservative Catholics would rather have the mass in Latin and do away with the "feel good" good stuff of holding hands while saying the Our "father".

ANd the music must be very old and traditional.

I cannot understand churches that change music and worship style on a regular basis to simply attract people. I could never worship in a church with no tradition.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:42 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,059,948 times
In my church we have very liberal and conservative believers. They all love the modern contemporary garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity