Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,106,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
My itty bitty computer has a difficult time downloading videos, but the description of the video seems to indicate it's about whether or not Christianity/Jesus is a fabrication evolved from other ancient religions... I'm curious in what way you see that as relevant to your o.p. about faith/works?
Just showing where the Bible was plagiarized from and why all within it must be subject to doubt.

If it is the word of God, they are not from a Christian God.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Just showing where the Bible was plagiarized from and why all within it must be subject to doubt.

If it is the word of God, they are not from a Christian God.

Regards
DL
According to the bible, the Word of God is Christ, not the bible, though the bible also claims that it contains words inspired by God.

As far as the words not being from a "Christian God", I don't see any one group of people as having the corner market on God.

So, again, what relevance do you see this as having to the o.p. subject of faith/works?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
According to the bible, the Word of God is Christ, not the bible, though the bible also claims that it contains words inspired by God.

As far as the words not being from a "Christian God", I don't see any one group of people as having the corner market on God.

So, again, what relevance do you see this as having to the o.p. subject of faith/works?
Just the doubt we should read scriptures with.

The sources should be ignored, the words analyzed and a conclusion drawn through logic and reason.

My logic and reason tell me we should all walk our talk.

Regards
DL

Old 07-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Just the doubt we should read scriptures with.

The sources should be ignored, the words analyzed and a conclusion drawn through logic and reason.

My logic and reason tell me we should all walk our talk.

Regards
DL
Okay, I agree to an extent. I further believe that that logic/reason needs to be informed by "the mind of Christ" ... Love.

Also, it is my opinion that I have to draw on my personal experience as well. And that experience tells me that I do not always walk my talk, as much as I have a desire to. However, focusing on what is NOT, rather than what IS, can be discouraging and further hinder me walking in the way that I want to.

So, I focus on a belief that God IS LOVE. I further believe that recognizing that the powerful force of God/Love is in each of us is what overcomes our personal darkness, and transforms the way we live our lives.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Okay, I agree to an extent. I further believe that that logic/reason needs to be informed by "the mind of Christ" ... Love.

Also, it is my opinion that I have to draw on my personal experience as well. And that experience tells me that I do not always walk my talk, as much as I have a desire to. However, focusing on what is NOT, rather than what IS, can be discouraging and further hinder me walking in the way that I want to.

So, I focus on a belief that God IS LOVE. I further believe that recognizing that the powerful force of God/Love is in each of us is what overcomes our personal darkness, and transforms the way we live our lives.
Love will do that yes but to say that the genocidal bible God is the epitome of love is rather droll.

Love does not do genocide or teach how to beat your slaves just so.

If you need a better definition for God, try rules or laws.
At the end of the day, if you follow any God then you are following his rules.

Regards
DL

Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Love will do that yes but to say that the genocidal bible God is the epitome of love is rather droll.

Love does not do genocide or teach how to beat your slaves just so.
Pretty sure we covered this earlier. I didn't say the "genocidal bible God" is the epitome of love.

Quote:
If you need a better definition for God, try rules or laws.
At the end of the day, if you follow any God then you are following his rules.

Regards
DL
The definition of God I have works fine for me, thanks. God IS LOVE and one "rule" covers them all, imo: Love.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:26 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
The OP needs to look up the definition of faith.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:44 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
The tree of knowledge of good and evil is a good example of this duality.
You might note that there is one tree encompassing both notions.
God did not make a tree of good and a seperate tree of evil so if he is to get rid of evil, something he likes to create, then he would also have to get rid of good.

God creates for a reason and you just do not know the reason and you want him to destroy what he created. Tsk tsk.

Regards
DL
Evil (non-love) does NOT have to exist in order for Good (LOVE) to exist. The KNOWLEDGE of it, however WILL exist.

LOVE conquers ALL.

Evil (non-Love) is being conquered by Good (LOVE).

We will continue to have the KNOWLEDGE of what non-love has done, of the destruction it caused, of the futility of it. But we will view this knowledge from a completely different perspective than what we have now. We only see bits and pieces but we will eventually see the full picture. This is why EVERY life is vital. We are all in this together, the revelation of knowledge.

Something "bad" does NOT have to exist in order for us to value and appreciate and respect and love the "good".

When all finally see non-love for what it is... when it is stripped of all the veils and we all have full knowledge of it... it will cease to exist. I'll leave it at that because I think it's fairly obvious why it will cease to exist.

Some things become obsolete...
and that is where non-love will end up.
Being obsolete.

Well, these are just my current ponderings...
peace,
sparrow

Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Evil (non-love) does NOT have to exist in order for Good (LOVE) to exist. The KNOWLEDGE of it, however WILL exist.

LOVE conquers ALL.

Evil (non-Love) is being conquered by Good (LOVE).

We will continue to have the KNOWLEDGE of what non-love has done, of the destruction it caused, of the futility of it. But we will view this knowledge from a completely different perspective than what we have now. We only see bits and pieces but we will eventually see the full picture. This is why EVERY life is vital. We are all in this together, the revelation of knowledge.

Something "bad" does NOT have to exist in order for us to value and appreciate and respect and love the "good".

When all finally see non-love for what it is... when it is stripped of all the veils and we all have full knowledge of it... it will cease to exist. I'll leave it at that because I think it's fairly obvious why it will cease to exist.

Some things become obsolete...
and that is where non-love will end up.
Being obsolete.

Well, these are just my current ponderings...
peace,
sparrow

I often wonder how the eastern philosophies' view of acceptance fits in with the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" and "the tree of life". The idea, as I understand it, is that labeling things as either good or bad is a construct of human consciousness that leads to suffering. We put value judgment on things, calling them either good or evil and this can cause us to cling to what we label good and avoid what is evil, (we suffer when things/people/emotions we label as good are taken from us, and we suffer when we experience that which we label as bad.) What we should be doing is simply accepting what is without labeling it ("the tree of life"?).

A quote that I find interesting says, "The absence of light cannot be called darkness. Just because the human eye cannot penetrate through the darkness, it does not mean it is ‘dark’. What can be concluded is that the difference between good and evil is not absolute but is relative and of degree.”

In some ways, this train of thought makes sense to me while, in other ways, it's a difficult if not impossible concept to reconcile. I do wonder how it fits with how we would imagine a "perfect" afterlife, the absence of darkness, and "eating of the tree of life".

Old 08-05-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure we covered this earlier. I didn't say the "genocidal bible God" is the epitome of love.

The definition of God I have works fine for me, thanks. God IS LOVE and one "rule" covers them all, imo: Love.
Sure but then you end with rather useless rhetoric.
Try telling a rape victim that God loves her even while he watches her get raped.
Quite the expression of love.

Regards
DL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity