Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:29 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,250 times

Advertisements

If the question is asked how an unsaved person is to be justified before God, the answer is to be that of Paul written in Galatians 2:16: "Know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified."

If the question be asked, how it can be shown what is the kind of faith that justifies a saved person, the answer is that of James 2:26: "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." That it is only that faith which is productive of holy living and practical obedience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times
"[SIZE=2]For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another [/SIZE][SIZE=2]In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel. [/SIZE]"

Doing righteousness is a manifestation of Godliness in the inward parts. The devils also believe there is a God, but they are not saved. If we do not do works worthy of repentance, we will not enter into His rest.

"Judge not, and ye shall not be judged." If you don't judge other people, God will not judge you.

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 AM

461 posts, read 480,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I believe you are confusing 2 different things regarding judgment.

To "judge justly" means to use judgment, and to discern good from evil. Indeed, many Christians are not able to do that yet..

However, when Jesus tells us "judge not, that ye may not be judged," He is telling us to not judge (condemn) other people. That is how we can avoid being judged by God.

Another way Jesus put it is like this: "Condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned."

In other words, our condemnation (or lack thereof) will depend on how we have treated other people.

So now you know.

Blessings!
brian

Sorry, but you misunderstand.

You forget; Judgment will again be done with justice and all the upright of heart will follow after it.

I do nothing on my own,I judge as I hear and my judgment is just because I'm not seeking my own will but the will of the One who sent me.

My teaching is not my own it comes from the one who sent me.
Whoever chooses to do his will shall know about this teaching whether it comes from God or whether I‘m speaking on my own.

If you don't do the will of Jesus you don't know His teaching.I can see that no one does His will so the confusion remains.

"I came down from heaven to do His will not my own".

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,121,690 times
Quote:
No works, no Kingdom. -Jesus

Even those who do works but do not have faith, will be justified by their works, which testify to all that their heart is right with God. The works declare the heart.

Blessings,
brian
I don't know what Bible you got that from, but's wrong and misleading. The works declare themselves.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,250 times
One cannot take a verse out of context and have it mean something other than what is being said.

Try reading Romans 2 in its entirety and I think you will come to a different conclusion.

An unsaved person believes if they do good works (without having to accept Christ as their savior), they will go to heaven. No, unfortunately they will not go to heaven.

A person who accepts God as their one and only savior and His free gift of salvation, and truly want to live for Him, in Him - will want to do good works (not have to), out of reverence and love towards Him.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
One cannot take a verse out of context and have it mean something other than what is being said.

Try reading Romans 2 in its entirety and I think you will come to a different conclusion.

An unsaved person believes if they do good works (without having to accept Christ as their savior), they will go to heaven. No, unfortunately they will not go to heaven.

A person who accepts God as their one and only savior and His free gift of salvation, and truly want to live for Him, in Him - will want to do good works (not have to), out of reverence and love towards Him.
No; a person who says a prayer to get into heaven will be sadly mistaken when he/she discovers that without works the faith they "thought" they had was completely useless. Romans 2 tells us quite clearly that the works will declare what is in the heart. A pagan who blesses his neighbor will get into the Kingdom long before a person who says they believe in Jesus Christ but condemns his neighbors.

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-14-2011, 09:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Please note, however, that I didn't say that it is the works that save a person. It is not. But if there are no works, the faith alone is useless. (Brother James called it "dead" faith.)
It sure sounds like it when reading your posts

Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
No works, no Kingdom. -Jesus

Even those who do works but do not have faith, will be justified by their works, which testify to all that their heart is right with God. The works declare the heart.
So, what happened to the thief on the cross? Jesus told him he was saved, yet he did not perform any works to earn his salvation.

You cannot work your way to heaven Brian.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, what happened to the thief on the cross? Jesus told him he was saved, yet he did not perform any works to earn his salvation.

You cannot work your way to heaven Brian.
Obviously the thief was not in any position to manifest works, Finn. Unlike you and I.

Even those who will know salvation after this life won't have the oppprtunity to manifest righteous works on Earth, but they will still be accepted.

Aisi..

Blessings,
Brian

Old 09-14-2011, 01:12 PM

The thief on the cross didn't say a sinner's prayer. And he was lucky enough to not have religious hypocrites on his back hounding him to repent.

Jesus saw what was in his heart, and that's all that matters.

So repeating a sinner's prayer like a parrot won't save you. Humbling yourself before God will.

Blessings,
Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity