Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Truth is wonderful and can bring much personal and spiritual freedom to an individual...as long as that individual understands that their truth MAY NOT BE someone else's truth and what is accepted as truth by you may not be what is accepted as truth by another. True individual freedom is achieved, in my opinion, when we can accept this, be compassionate, be tolerant, be loving, and allow other individuals to find their own truth without ramming our truth down their throats and condemning them for not believing in it.
Good post!

I think everyone is believing what the strongest set of influences is causing them to believe, and no one can help believing the way they do unless/until a stronger influence causes them to change their mind.

I am just so glad there is a different point of view about what the Bible teaches than what the ETers believe.

Everyone will choose to believe whatever they are convinced is the truth about what the Bible teaches. I post on forums to give people an alternate point of view. Had I known that one existed I never would have had a horrific twelve year nervous breakdown 1966-78 over my inability to love a god who would allow anyone actually prefer to suffer forever rather than eventually reach out for the salvation that God has provided. I'm 72 years old now.

THE FOLLOWING HAS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE TRUE REGARDING THE DEBATE ABOUT ETERNAL TORMENT

The argument about “eternal hell” nearly always gets bogged down with the words, “My Greek scholars are more reliable than your Greek scholars,” and the result is nearly always a stalemate.

My Greek scholars are Louis Abbott and the many Greek scholars he quotes in chapters three and twelve of
AN ANALYTICAL STUDY OF WORDS
An Analytical Study of Words

Also see
TIME AND ETERNITY A BIBLICAL STUDY
TIME AND ETERNITY: A Biblical Study

Also see
THE SCHOLAR’S CORNER FOR THE STUDY OF BIBLICAL UNIVERSALISM at
Scholar's Corner: The Center for Bible studies in Christian Universalism

If you think it glorifies God more to let some of His creatures suffer forever, or annihilate them, then you keep believing that.

But if you think it glorifies God more to eventually meet everyone on the level of their greatest and deepest need which is a change in their stubborn will, then know that there is plenty of evidence in the Bible that is exactly what God is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,336 times
Post Sooner or later all unbelievers will become believers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
Unbelievers are not set free.
Sooner or later all unbelievers will become believers.

We know this because God will have (wants if you like) all men to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4)
It is God’s “pleasure” that all mankind be saved.
And “God is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will” (Ephesians 1:11).

Change it to read “in accord with the counsel of what He wants if you like.
Because God says
"My counsel shall stand.
I will do all my pleasure
(the saving of all mankind is part of the pleasure that God wants)
Yea I have spoken it.
I will also bring it to pass.
I have purposed it.
I will also do it."
Isaiah 46:10,11

Job 23:13 “But he stands alone, and who can oppose Him?
He does whatever he pleases.
(the saving of all mankind is part of what He wants that pleases Him).

Isaiah 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
(the saving of all mankind is part of all of which God desires or wants)

So we see God does all His pleasure, He does whatever He pleases, and His word accomplishes that which He desires.
His pleasure, that which He desires and pleases Him is what He wants.

His will = What He wants
What does He want?
THE SALVATION OF ALL MANKIND
Why will it happen?
Because God Himself will see to it that it gets done.

Any cooperation towards our salvation is the result, not the cause of God laying hold on us by His saving grace and causing Jesus to be "choice" in our heart, just like it was in the case of Lydia and Saul of Tarsus.

The opinions of exactly how God will achieve universal salvation may differ from UR to UR just like, as Bright Hope pointed out, the opinions of ETers also vary from person to person about what the Bible teaches about salvation.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes the truth sets you free.

When someone who has lived a double life and has hid the truth for a long period of time - to actually tell the truth is a big release. No more lies to cover. No deception. Here I am - this is me - I am free to proclaim whatever I want to proclaim to all who wants to know.

In the context of John 8 where Jesus was speaking - people are set free spiritually from the slavery of sin when the gospel is believed and the Bible is understood.
Yes. No longer having to keep up backing up one lie with another. And a chance at redemption. Although sometimes the highest price for keeping a secret is having to live with it, Even if we are not directly hurting another.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:49 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is true, many are still prsoners of the darkness.
This is why the Great Commission must still be adhered to by those who are his true disciples.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,549 times
Quote:
This is why the Great Commission must still be adhered to by those who are his true disciples.
The great commission is to spread the gospel which means "good news." What really set me free was knowing the good news is TRULY good and not a good news/bad news scenario.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
The great commission is to spread the gospel which means "good news." What really set me free was knowing the good news is TRULY good and not a good news/bad news scenario.
Well, unfortunately there is bad news along with the good news, for those who do not totally understand and believe, in Truth, the good news.

But... further discussing that is taking the thread OT. There are lots of other threads debating the bad news.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
It's interesting Jesus was talking to those who believed in Him. He said if you hold to my teachings, you are really my disciples, THEN you'll know the truth and it will set you free.

Unbelievers are not set free.

John 8
31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
When they know the truth that God is not reckoning their sin against them they are, when the Christian know this, they too will be set free.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
This is true, many are still prsoners of the darkness.
Including Christians

Old 10-12-2011, 11:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Including Christians
You are always first to question the faith of others, but it is true that many classify themselves as "Christian" in the census forms, but do not know the truth.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
You are always first to question the faith of others, but it is true that many classify themselves as "Christian" in the census forms, but do not know the truth.
Just reading this forum tells how Christians(of all persuasions) needs to be set free from the darkness they are in. For the record my full of light fellow poster,as a believer I have been in much darkness,and right now in the here and now,God is casting light into areas of darkness,especially in the way I think and see. Please(before you do) do not be so haughty hearted to say you will pray for me,let God be God and finish that which he started in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity