Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times

Advertisements

It's very easy to point to the catholics and say they teach the traditions of men. But what about the protestant churches? Where do some of their teachings come from?

If it's not authorized in the scriptures, should we be doing it?

Here is a list of a few things I thought of. Maybe you could add to it?

Robes or ecclesiastical clothing
Titles "father" or "reverend"
Altars
Central headquarters
Joining the church
Business meetings
Choirs
Women preaching/teaching
Chairman, President, Pope
Creeds
Ordination committees
Church pews where people look at other people's backs
Ornate church buildings
Crosses on churches
Altar call
Sinners prayer
Mandatory attendance 3x/week

Are we no better than those we point the finger at?

God Bless,

Katie

Old 02-21-2012, 02:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Katie, there is the necessary business of the church. The apostles did establish congregations and regular worship services for the good of the members and for the purpose of evangelism outreach. MOst of the stuff you cite is just traditionally part of many congregations regular business. It doesn't mean its required, or established by church law, but it just became normal practices because it worked for accomplishing its goals and fulfilling its purpose. You're right, altars, vestments pews etc. are just tradition, but I doubt anyone wants to give up sitting down during the service. Regular chairs do service, but wooden pews look nicer and last virtually forever.

What has been the primary focus of discussions concerning Catholicism on this forum, as far as I know, has been church doctrine.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Katie, there is the necessary business of the church. The apostles did establish congregations and regular worship services for the good of the members and for the purpose of evangelism outreach. MOst of the stuff you cite is just traditionally part of many congregations regular business. It doesn't mean its required, or established by church law, but it just became normal practices because it worked for accomplishing its goals and fulfilling its purpose. You're right, altars, vestments pews etc. are just tradition, but I doubt anyone wants to give up sitting down during the service. Regular chairs do service, but wooden pews look nicer and last virtually forever.

What has been the primary focus of discussions concerning Catholicism on this forum, as far as I know, has been church doctrine.
Hi Prairie,

Thanks for posting. I pretty much agree with a lot of what you say. Business meetings I suppose are almost a necessity. As far as pews in a church building, I wonder who came up with setting them so that people are looking at one another's backs?

There are some things I listed which IMHO are traditions that should be gotten rid of. Titles and vestments top my list. When did calling the minister "reverend" begin? And why robes? I don't think Jesus wanted anyone setting themselves apart or above others.

I guess my question is when do these things become wrong? Does the word "tradition" only mean doctrine? I mean if we are doing things that are not authorized by scripture, then aren't those things the traditions of men Jesus condemned?

This is a topic I'm studying right now, so I still have questions.

Blessings,

Katie

Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Go back to church members gathering in the homes like in the book of Acts.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
It's very easy to point to the catholics and say they teach the traditions of men. But what about the protestant churches? Where do some of their teachings come from?

Altars
Central headquarters
Joining the church
Business meetings
Choirs
Women preaching/teaching
Creeds
Ordination committees
Ornate church buildings
Crosses on churches
Altar call
Sinners prayer

God Bless,

Katie
Good question. You know to which "denomination" I belonged, and I can say they only did 4, sometimes 5, of those above. Joining the church, business meetings, (some had choirs, none I attended ever did), altar call, and mandatory attendance (though never spoken outright).

I'm not sure where any of those get scriptural authority.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Probably not.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Go back to church members gathering in the homes like in the book of Acts.
The Spirit moves a lot more in these types of settings - I've seen the Spirit quenched far too many times to make room for the programs and activities so many assemblies feel is necessary.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
I guess my question is when do these things become wrong? Does the word "tradition" only mean doctrine? I mean if we are doing things that are not authorized by scripture, then aren't those things the traditions of men Jesus condemned?

Blessings,

Katie
I would think when they contradicted scripture.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM

84 posts, read 112,795 times
What you are seeing is the false sytem that is Christianity. Jesus did not come to establish this. That is why there is so many extremes within Christianity. When you operate within a false paradignm, you can go to many extemes because you are trying to search for truth. Instead if we would embrace the true message that we are all God's children and that the Christ potential is within us and that we can walk in our purpose while also learning to love others then this whole false sytem would fall and people would see it for what it is. When the Protestants reformed against the Catholic church they could sense something wasn't right, but instead of embracing the real truth they then created a beast of their own within the over arching false system.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM

661 posts, read 622,103 times
Quote:

Altars
Central headquarters
Joining the church
Business meetings
Choirs
Women preaching/teaching
Creeds
Ordination committees
Ornate church buildings
Crosses on churches
Altar call
Sinners prayer

God Bless,

Katie
Hi Katie,
Hope you are doing well . How about "tithing" to be included here.
Steph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity