Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:26 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times

Advertisements

my question was sparked by KAYKAYS post in another thread..
have you ever prayed for someone, or something and had the prayer answered, and found yourself trying to explain HOW it could have happened vs. simply God did it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Yes.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
No that thought has never crossed my mind. For me the answer of how it happened is God.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No that thought has never crossed my mind. For me the answer of how it happened is God.

I'm with ILNC, I'm not sure that I answer the question thought. If I prayed for something or someone and the prayer was answered. Then it was/is through God that the someone or something happened.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM

224 posts, read 777,636 times
I have an example of a time when I know God led me to be in a place at a certain time, not necessarily a direct result of prayer.

Just a couple of weeks ago my family and I were driving from Illinois to Texas (moving, as most of you are probably aware). Of course, before our trip I did pray for God to travel with us and make our journey safe. On our first full day of driving we stopped for gas/lunch/walk the dog. After that stop, my husband and I told the kids we were going to try to get in 3 full hours of driving time before stopping again. We drove for about 30 minutes and saw there was a Starbucks at the next exit. We debated back and forth whether to stop for coffee or not, and decided basically at the very last minute, to pull off the interstate and get coffee. We stopped, I ran in and bought the coffee while my husband and kids stayed in the car. We were off the interstate for literally 5 minutes.

We got back on the interstate, drove for about 2 minutes and came upon an accident that had just happened minutes before. We were the 3rd car to arrive at the scene. A car was upside down and smoking off the side of the road. My husband grabbed his EMT kit and ran over to the scene while I called Onstar to report the accident.

My husband is a trained EMT and used to be a volunteer fireman in Connecticut. We almost packed the EMT kit as we have a small first aid kit in the car, but decided to throw it in the car with us "just in case". The other 2 people that stopped before us were a Chicago police officer and a New York City firefighter - they both had their EMT kits too. These three guys knew what had to be done and how to do it. A young man was thrown from the car as it flipped and sustained severe head injuries. Fortunately, because these 3 trained people were there to help he survived. Even the Missouri state police and local EMTs said so once they arrived.

I believe we were meant to be at that place at that time, to help out that young man. God put us there. My husband is in agreement. Everything lined up for us to be there. Had we not stopped for coffee we would have been right ahead of the accident. Had we packed the EMT kit instead of having it in the car my husband would not have been as useful. We believe the young man had an angel on his shoulder. Yes, he had severe injuries, but how else can you explain the first 3 people to arrive being a trained EMT, a Chicago police officer and a NYC firefighter? It could not have been just chance. There was definitely a higher power involved.

We have wondered, was God trying to teach that young man a lesson? Was he trying to teach us a lesson? We may never know, but we praised him for leading us there. We were glad to help any way we could, and we are so grateful that the young man did not lose his life, and we are so thankful that we arrived safely at our destination, despite the setbacks during our drive.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were asking, as your original post was speaking of an answered prayer, but I feel it somewhat goes along with what you are saying, because I believe God put us there, I don't believe it was just a chance happening.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
taylor400, what a wonderful testimony! I know the feeling of when something happens that you just can't explain, other than God had planned it... And arguy, yes, this has happened to me. I pray for someone or something, and it actually happens, and even if I know in my heart that it was an answer to prayer, at times I have kept it to myself or tried to explain it some other way...

Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,704 times
I have personally also had prayers answered. It just astounds me. I KNOW God answers prayers... I guess I'm always just so surprised (but thankful too) that He IS listening to little ole' me. It's very humbling and awe inspiring. I tell people when it happens... "I'm just really lucky...... God answers my prayers when I really need them answered! How cool is that?" (Once I get past the "I'm really lucky" part of my sentence.. that's when people's smiles turn into the "uh-oh" she's one of *roll eyes* THOSE people. (Secretly, I just love that!)

Old 09-07-2007, 02:40 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
I asked for Grace in handling not being able to have children, God then graced me by having Madeline Grace. I love how He answers prayers!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I asked for Grace in handling not being able to have children, God then graced me by having Madeline Grace. I love how He answers prayers!
LOL! That's great, little_thirsty!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
Thanks Kay kay! I sure do love being a mom and will forever be grateful that I have been able to experience it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity