Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Or believe that He is a part of a Trinity

I believe that He is to be worshipped because God has exalted Him and given Him the name above every name that at the name of Jesus, every knee should bow...Yes worship Him, the One who gave His life for me.

God bless and peace.
I love your explanations of Jesus, ShanaBrown.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Thank you, Missjamiedawn

God bless and peace.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM

I meant, Mzjamiedawn. It's been a long day at work! God bless and peace.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Do you believe He is the Messiah? How do you explain that John 1:1, in the NWT, calls Him a god?

You didn't answer the question, do you believe He was worthy of worship while on the earth?

Are you a Jehovah's Witness, or just like the NWT?
RESPONSE:

Anyone can call someone God.

No. Only God would be worthy of worship; never a created being.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, and I don't believe that the NWT is the best bible available. I prefer the New Revised Standard Veersion (World)Council of Churches sponsored) or the New American Bible (Catholic).

In short I like unaltered translations made from the oldest versions available translated from the original language.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Anyone can call someone God.

No. Only God would be worthy of worship; never a created being.

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, and I don't believe that the NWT is the best bible available. I prefer the New Revised Standard Veersion (World)Council of Churches sponsored) or the New American Bible (Catholic).

In short I like unaltered translations made from the oldest versions available translated from the original language.
Got it. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Hi, in the OT Hebrew community, individuals of high position or superiors were honored or shown reverence by someone bowing down before them. The Hebrew word commonly used in the OT for worship is hithpael and means to prostrate one self also translated as worship. Some examples are found in

1 Samuel 24:8: Then David went out of the cave and called out to Saul, "My lord the king!" When Saul looked behind him, David bowed down and prostrated (hithpael) himself with his face to the ground.

The Greek word "proskuneo" is translated as worship.

Revelation 3:9: I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down (proskuneo) at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you.

God the Father is the Only One to be worshipped as the Supreme God. He is above all. Jesus is to be worshipped also because God has highly exalted Him. The scriptures that God gave Him the name above all names that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow.. (Philippians 2, Romans 14:11).(Kampto=to bow the knee as in religious veneration and worship-Strongs) Jesus is the One and Only Begotten Son of the One and Only True God. Examples of individuals worshipping Jesus are found in the scriptures and some are: Matthew 2:2, Matthew 8:2, Matthew 15:25, John 9:38, Hebrews 1:6.

Worship
1. ( tr ) to show profound religious devotion and respect to; adore or venerate (God or any person or thing considered divine)
2. ( tr ) to be devoted to and full of admiration for
3. ( intr ) to have or express feelings of profound adoration
4. ( intr ) to attend services for worship
5. obsolete ( tr ) to honour

— n
6. religious adoration or devotion
7. the formal expression of religious adoration; rites, prayers, etc
8. admiring love or devotion

Word English Dictionary

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-09-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
When you return, I would love for you to answer my question. Maybe show me those other verses that say you must believe Jesus is God in order to be saved.

For the record, I believe Jesus is God. However, I do not believe you have to believe that in order to be saved. I do believe you have to believe Jesus is Lord, and that He is the Son of God, because I see scripture that says so. I do not see scripture that say I must believe He is God in order to be saved.

That's where you come in. Please show them to me so I can correct my belief.

Or, until s/he returns, someone else may be able to show me?
fyi ... I'm a he

Isaiah 45:22
“Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other.

Isaiah 46:9
I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me

Isaiah 44:8
Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

Your kinda fooling yourself to claim on the one hand "I believe Jesus is God" then yet not to connect Jesus as the "God" in Isaiah 45:22.

and then have it said about Jesus:

Acts 4:12
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved.” (compare to Isaiah 45:22)

1 Corinthians 10:3-4
"They all ate the same spiritual food and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ."
(compare Isaiah 44:8)

Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
"I will give it all to you," he said, "if you will kneel down and worship me."
Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written:

'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"

Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"I will give it all to you," he said, "if you will kneel down and worship me."
Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written:

'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"
This was not a reference to himself.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:31 AM

Hi, I don't believe that anyone is to be worshipped as the Supreme God except for the Supreme God, who is the One and Only True God. This God is the Head of Jesus Christ who is His Son and who reveals Him. He is the God of Jesus. This God gave Jesus the name above every name and so I know that they are not on the same level. One who is Supreme cannot be given anything by anyone because He already has it. Jesus is the exact image of the Supreme invisible God so that we can know who He is. Jesus serves the One and Only True God and this God highly exalted Him. Jesus is our Lord although He existed in the form of God. There is Only One True God, the God that Jesus came to reveal to us.

1 Corinthians 8

4 Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that [a]there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him.
"

John 17

1 Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, 2 even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to [a]all whom You have given Him, He may give *eternal life. 3 This is *eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. 4 I glorified You on the earth, [b]having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.
6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You; 8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me. "

*eternal=aionios

Jesus always points us to the One and Only True God, His God and Father.

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 03-10-2012 at 06:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity