Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is too difficult to make sense of. It and every other religion is faulty due to it's ambiguity, and is downright dangerous if, within the text of it's "holy" books, there are instructions for doing harm and a fostering of an "us vs. them" mentality.

Whenever anyone does something bad in the name of religion, the religious responses always boil down to the same two assertions:
1) They were misguided
2) They weren't "real" (christian, jew, muslim, etc)

The problem is there is no clear definition of what's a "real" this or that nor a clear chart that comes with any of these books showing which parts to read, which not to, which parts to follow, which not, which should be taken literal, which not, etc. Any claims to knowing such definitions or charts are nothing more than opinion, which can be vehemently opposed by someone else who reads the same text and claims to be a "real" follower but whose opinion is very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Too often, there are those "Christians" that can't seem to understand that they are not the ones that empowered to lay down the rules. They just think they are.

It is of no value to you if you are told that you MUST do or MUST think in a certain way unless you feel that path is the correct one for you. It's something that you will grow to understand.

I hate to compare Spiritual growth with that of a child's growth, but in a sense it is. The child doesn't really begin to grow anyway but physically until he is able to figure out things for himself. Just because Mommy and Daddy told him, doesn't make it so. They told him about the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause and maybe even the Boogerman under the bed. The Child will come to know the truth in time.

Don't rush it. Knowledge and understanding will come.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Noland, wesacat, and Blueberry has brought up some good points here. Christianity was not meant to hard. When man brings religion into it, that's when it gets complicated. Even a child of 7 or 8 can understand salvation. All we need to do is pray, read the Bible and let the Holy Spirit guide us. Hebrews 14:33 says that God is not a God of confusion.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 09-12-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
It's something that you will grow to understand.

I hate to compare Spiritual growth with that of a child's growth, but in a sense it is. The child doesn't really begin to grow anyway but physically until he is able to figure out things for himself. Just because Mommy and Daddy told him, doesn't make it so. They told him about the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause and maybe even the Boogerman under the bed. The Child will come to know the truth in time.

Don't rush it. Knowledge and understanding will come.
Good points! Lean on the Lord for direction, make sure the direction goes along with God's word, and you will grow in understanding.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:49 AM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times
Quote:
Lean on the Lord for direction, make sure the direction goes along with God's word, and you will grow in understanding.
which words? If the growing pains society has to suffer until that elusive "understanding" is reached get any worse, we may not survive.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:51 AM

204 posts, read 508,117 times
Good points by all. I think the core of the Gospel is simple:

John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I think that part is simple to understand. Its some of the other things that can get complicated at times

But I have faith that one day God will reveal everything to us all, and then we will completely understand. That is my hope.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gospelsaves View Post
Good points by all. I think the core of the Gospel is simple:

John 3:16:
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I think that part is simple to understand. Its some of the other things that can get complicated at times

But I have faith that one day God will reveal everything to us all, and then we will completely understand. That is my hope.
Well said. I have faith that GOD will reconcile us all to Himself.

I just wish He'd hurry up.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,097 times
See, my thoughts are also that it is supposed to be easy to understand. After all, Jesus told us to be as little children....that of such was the Kingdom of God. When it starts getting bogged down with all these additional rules, regulations, rituals, lengthy creeds and complex statements of faith about how one should believe, it becomes a burden, does it not?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Still bet it's easier for me than it was for Jesus.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
See, my thoughts are also that it is supposed to be easy to understand. After all, Jesus told us to be as little children....that of such was the Kingdom of God. When it starts getting bogged down with all these additional rules, regulations, rituals, lengthy creeds and complex statements of faith about how one should believe, it becomes a burden, does it not?
I'm "sacramental". Meaning that I find a benefit from the sacraments of the Church. As a human being that experiences GOD spiritually, intellectually, emotionally and physically, the more senses I can get involved in the process, the better for me. The rituals etc, I willingly yeild to, and am in fact, grateful for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity