Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
No, it speaks to the value of the base text due to it's ambiguity. No ambiguity, no different denominations.

If that's all there is, then why is there such a big bible full of other things which contradict each other at times and have had so many people for so many centuries scratching their heads and debating what it all means? What you read in posts are just opinions. Sometimes someone will quote a line or two to support their opinion but then you can easily find another line that refutes that first line and then the head scratching and debating goes on, but at least that's better than killing anybody over it.
I know you will disagree with this Chief, but that is simply why the Bible needs to be read and interpreted as a whole in context, not one piece at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,011,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by kawgpz550
No it is not. As a child I already noticed that my parents do not always tell the truth. They tell you what they believe is true, or what they think you can handle as a child, but it is not the truth.
I learned early in life that if I really want answers, it is better to observe than to ask questions (which by the way is not so easy as it sounds).
I guess then it would depend on how old of a child we are talking about. However, I have raised four children...When one of my kids ask me a question, they expect that the answer I give them is correct and they believe me (BTW, I do my BEST to answer their questions as accurately and honestly as possible. I do not purposely lead them astray...nor would Jesus.).
Children automatically have "faith" that the answer they're given is correct.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,239,057 times
Quote:
However, I have raised four children...When one of my kids ask me a question, they expect that the answer I give them is correct and they believe me (BTW, I do my BEST to answer their questions as accurately and honestly as possible. I do not purposely lead them astray...nor would Jesus.).
True, but I have been a child myself. At age 5 or 6 I figured out that Santa Claus (or the Dutch Sint Nicolaas) could not exist while my parents insisted that he does.
A few years later, when I was 9 or 10, I 'staked' out my own father. I knew he would go to work at 5.30 in the morning so all I had to do was wait at my bedroom window. And there he was loading out our presents out of the car's trunk.
I knew that there was a reason why my parents didn’t tell me the truth, but I couldn't figure it out for myself so I ‘confronted’ my parents. They told me that they 'lied' to me so I wouldn't ruin it for my little brother.
I do not hold it against them, they told me what they thought what was best. And it isn't that I do not trust my parents, because I do. I know that they love me. They just never realized how critical I am, even as a child.
I have always been a keen observer who instinctively learned not to ask questions if you do not have the answers yourself or an inkling of what the answer should be.

And let me make clear that I do not consider the bible or a church the same as Jesus. To me the bible is just a recipe book (theory) while Jesus himself is the eating of food (action). Whenever a theory or interpretation inflicts with my own experience I value my experience more.
But that is just me.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
True, but I have been a child myself. At age 5 or 6 I figured out that Santa Claus (or the Dutch Sint Nicolaas) could not exist while my parents insisted that he does.
A few years later, when I was 9 or 10, I 'staked' out my own father. I knew he would go to work at 5.30 in the morning so all I had to do was wait at my bedroom window. And there he was loading out our presents out of the car's trunk.
I knew that there was a reason why my parents didn’t tell me the truth, but I couldn't figure it out for myself so I ‘confronted’ my parents. They told me that they 'lied' to me so I wouldn't ruin it for my little brother.
I do not hold it against them, they told me what they thought what was best. And it isn't that I do not trust my parents, because I do. I know that they love me. They just never realized how critical I am, even as a child.
I have always been a keen observer who instinctively learned not to ask questions if you do not have the answers yourself or an inkling of what the answer should be.
I'm not sure what the point of all this Santa talk is, but would it surprise you to know that we did NOT tell our son that Santa was real. Told him that Santa was just a story to be enjoyed but not real. (Of course, we were "persona non grata" around the neighborhood whenever our child would "enlighten" other children on this point!...which I did NOT encourage, I might add!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 AM

Requiring a child to believe in a Santa Claus is often his first real live experience in having faith as (an organized) religion (theory; something taught), instead of his instinctive faith in his parents (experience; born with).

Old 09-13-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Requiring a child to believe in a Santa Claus is often his first real live experience in having faith as (an organized) religion (theory; something taught), instead of his instinctive faith in his parents (experience; born with).
Well, all parents have to make their own decisions here and we all know how fanatic and extreme kaykay is! But my husband and I decided not to tell our son that Santa was real because we wanted him to trust us to always tell him the truth ... including the truth that Jesus is real (unlike Santa Claus)

Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, all parents have to make their own decisions here and we all know how fanatic and extreme kaykay is! But my husband and I decided not to tell our son that Santa was real because we wanted him to trust us to always tell him the truth ... including the truth that Jesus is real (unlike Santa Claus)
....Right on!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by kaykay
Quote:
But my husband and I decided not to tell our son that Santa was real because we wanted him to trust us to always tell him the truth ... including the truth that Jesus is real (unlike Santa Claus)
True, and I applaud you for it. Unfortunately Christmas is more than just Santa Claus.
Just wait when a young child asks you if children in Africa also get presents. And if not, why not?

To this day it 'stings' my mother that her parents were so poor they were never able to afford her a doll or other toy. All they ever got was 'new' clothes (which were often used by their older siblings). And I learned then as a child that there is a difference between what you want and what you need. My grandparents were so poor they could only give them what they need.
No one ever needed to explain me that. It was obvious to me, but my own mother never quite understood that.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:27 PM

679 posts, read 1,440,013 times
Quote:
I know you will disagree with this Chief, but that is simply why the Bible needs to be read and interpreted as a whole in context, not one piece at a time.
Which is actually the problem because it's ambiguous at best, contradictory at worst and within it are some nasty instructions. The roadmap for reading it varies depending on who you talk to, as does the interpretation of the same stretch of road by different people.

If all that was written was a single page with some of the simplistic opinions posted here, maybe there wouldn't be nor have been such strife.

As for the Santa thing, well, I think he's a gateway belief the way they say marijuana is a gateway drug. It makes you more inclined to try bigger, harder beliefs. With that said, I would never tell a kid there isn't a Santa. Part of a child's growth is figuring that out on their own as part of their critical thinking development.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:30 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,344,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Not to get too OT, but am I to understand that if I, as a Protestant(Baptist) went to mass at a Catholic Church, I'd be denied the Lord's Supper, even as a professing follower of Jesus the Christ??

Catholics. is that true?
I'll tell you my experience:

Before and during my initiation into the Catholic Church I took communion. No one knew what I was, and I was never refused communion. At the beginning of my initiation, I was still taking it at mass, until one of my instructors told me I really should wait. So now knowing something about the churches teachings I agreed to stop, because I knew then I was not fully "in communion" with the church. One day, I hope we will all be " in communion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity