Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the root of all evil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Is it money?

Is it pride?

Is it something else?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Our human condition.

The symbol of evil is Satan. In other words Satan is a symbol.

If Satan was an entity then the root of all evil would be Satan.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Human ignorance striving to satisfy its needs indiscriminately.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Satan, our sinful flesh, Unbelief.

Its not money. The text says, The LOVE of money is the root of all kinds of evil. Is the love of Money that's the problem. Love of Money, also called greed, which the Bible calls Idolatry, and that gets us back to unbelief.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,747 times
Humanity is the root of all evil. Not made up dark angels.

On the other hand, we are also the root of all that is good.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:18 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Default The 'root' in the 'soil' of the rebellious heart.

Quote:
OK, so we all know that 1 Tim. 6:10 states: For the love of money is the root of all evil..... (KJV). Other translations open that up to "all kinds of evil", which suggests that there may be other things.

In the clear light of scripture, however, it really does not matter what "you or I think", although, for what it is worth, 'I think' scripture is right: "the love of money is the root of all evil ...."

What do 'you think' ... and why have you chosen to confront this particular verse of scripture?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,632,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
OK, so we all know that 1 Tim. 6:10 states: For the love of money is the root of all evil..... (KJV). Other translations open that up to "all kinds of evil", which suggests that there may be other things.

In the clear light of scripture, however, it really does not matter what "you or I think", although, for what it is worth, 'I think' scripture is right: "the love of money is the root of all evil ...."

What do 'you think' ... and why have you chosen to confront this particular verse of scripture?
Great Post!

The Love of money not the money in itself is the 'root' of all evil. Money in itself isn't amoral. So the problem is coveting. Trusting in riches instead of trusting God.

Out of coveting stems all other evils. Coveting is idolatry resulting from Pride of self/life and lack of Fear of YHWH.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,920,059 times
I think that when you break it down, fear ends up being the root of a lot of evil (aka non-love). Just my opinion.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM

461 posts, read 480,611 times
The root of all evil is the lack of understanding. As the Lord says;

"The wicked will remain wicked they will have no understanding but the wise will have it."

As you can see, scripture says the wicked have no understanding, if this seems stupid or confusing it is because you do not have understanding therefore you are wicked. Now you can't think like man thinks of wicked but how God does. It is entirely different.

Here is another verse about distinguishing the wicked.

You have defied me in word, says the Lord, yet you ask, "What have we spoken against you?"
You have said, "It is vain to serve God, and what do we profit by keeping his command, And going about in penitential dress in awe of the Lord of hosts?
Rather must we call the proud blessed; for indeed evildoers prosper, and even tempt God with impunity." Then they who revere the Lord spoke with one another, and the Lord listened attentively; And a record book was written before him of those who revere the Lord and trust in his name.
And they shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, my own special possession, on the day I take action. And I will have compassion on them, as a man has compassion on his son who serves him.
Then you will again see the distinction between the just and the wicked; Between him who serves God, and him who does not serve him.

As you can see the righteous serve the Lord the wicked do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity