Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:56 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...no Eusebius...there is no question at all about the eternalness of the eternal fire...it is Scripture...look it up....

...."the ages of the ages which are the final two ages of the ages that are only two of the ages after one other age proir"...blah...blah...blah......o.k.... .whatever....you can have all your ages upon ages...we can agree, can we not, that it is for a very....very...very...very...very....very....very. ....very....
LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGG time.

...God Bless.
Yes a very long time indeed.

How many mothers will be anxiously waiting for the embrace of their beloved sons and daughters who might have had to be interred in the second death? I would submit to you that all mothers with a beating heart will. They exhibit the love of God. If it were eternal, I can assure you that for a mother, heaven would be a hell.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If eternal torment were true then why did James say this:

"My brethren, if anyone among you should be led astray from the way of the truth, and someone should be
turning him back, let him know that he who turns back a sinner out of the deception of his way WILL BE
SAVING HIS SOUL FROM DEATH and will be covering a multitude of sins." — James 5:19-20

Why didn't he just say: "Will be saving his soul from eternal torment"?

It is funny when you read this verse, your attention was immediately drawn to the "death" part, while mine was drawn to the "salvation" part.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:09 PM

667 posts, read 516,244 times

If your hand or your foot causes your downfall, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into the eternal fire.
Matthew 18:8

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Annihilation is merciful.
Eternal torment is merciless.

Is God merciless or merciful?
God is absolutely merciful, loving and full of grace. That is why He offers everyone eternal life ... and why it is "not His will that any should perish ... but, the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night."

God is God, not man. His ways are higher than our ways and our attempts to 'interpret God's Word through the veil of human standards of 'mercy and mercilessness' (in lieu of what His Word says will happen), are misguided and wrong-minded. When, for example, God commanded the Israelites to 'kill all of the Canaanites and leave no one alive' ... was God being 'merciless'? Probably, by human standards, but, Israel and the world have paid for not obeying God's commands ... for thousands of years.

Death is not the same with God as man ... and what we understand about eternity is biased by our limited view of time and earthly existence.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:22 PM

64 posts, read 67,059 times
Believe what you want. I guess you'll find out when you die.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
If your hand or your foot causes your downfall, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into the eternal fire.
If your hand or your foot causes your downfall, cut it off and throw it away.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
If the fire really was eternal, why didn't Jesus say it was? Why did He used the adjective "aionion/eonian" which mean "pertaining to the eon/age"?

Why did Jesus tell Paul to teach that God is the Saviour of all mankind and will save all mankind (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6; 4:10,11)?

But getting back to James, why do you think if eternal torment were true that James never told anyone about it? It is never mentioned all the many years in the book of Acts. The apostle Paul never once said a word about it. If it were true, should we not accuse them of a great heinous crime of not informing humanity?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
If your hand or your foot causes your downfall, cut it off and throw it away.
I wonder if I cut my hand off in a hospital and then had it re-attached right after I tossed it. Would that still get me into the kingdom?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM

667 posts, read 516,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
If the fire really was eternal, why didn't Jesus say it was? Why did He used the adjective "aionion/eonian" which mean "pertaining to the eon/age"?

Why did Jesus tell Paul to teach that God is the Saviour of all mankind and will save all mankind (see 1 Timothy 2:4-6; 4:10,11)?

But getting back to James, why do you think if eternal torment were true that James never told anyone about it? It is never mentioned all the many years in the book of Acts. The apostle Paul never once said a word about it. If it were true, should we not accuse them of a great heinous crime of not informing humanity?
Why would the fire not be eternal?

Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Why would the fire not be eternal?
The law of thermodynamics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.