Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham It Up! View Post
Actually I just did a search and the phrase "word of God" is never used to refer to Jesus at all. He is called "The Word" but never "the word of God". Jesus was the "expression" of God or the Logos. The phrase "the word of God" in scripture always refers to either scripture of the preaching of God's message.
Yes it is. Look at Revelation 19:3 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. This is with reference to Jesus.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM

342 posts, read 407,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes it is. Look at Revelation 19:3 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. This is with reference to Jesus.

Rev. 19:3 And again they said, Alleluia. And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.

I don't see it there!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Rev. 19:3 And again they said, Alleluia. And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.
I don't see it there!
It is Rev 19:13.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM

I found it. It's Rev 19:13. I missed that on my list of verses in my search.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM

[quote=ancient warrior;27631311]
Quote:

>>The very purpose of this thread was to show that the phrase 'the word of God' is not used only of Jesus, but to the Bible as well. To the Scriptures. And none of those of you who claim that the Bible is not the word of God seem willing to even acknowledge the above Scriptures which prove you wrong. You all just ignore them.<<

Aren't you failing to distinguish the difference between "word of God" and "Word of God"?

The "Word of God" is the Logos.

Philo’s Model of Creation
"Though Philo’s model of creation comes from Plato’s Timaeus, the direct agent of creation is not God himself (described in Plato as Demiurge, Maker, Artificer), but the Logos. Philo believes that the Logos is “the man of God” (Conf. 41) or the shadow of God that was used as an instrument and a pattern of all creation (LA 3.96). The Logos converted unqualified, unshaped preexistent matter, which Philo describes as “destitute of arrangement, of quality, of animation, of distinctive character and full of disorder and confusion..."

Philo of Alexandria*[Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

See also, John 1-3:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being.(NRSV)

Also see Paul 1 Col 15-16:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him.(NRSV)

Note: Here we see the New Testament incorporating a little Greek cosmology .
No, I am not failing to distinquish. Whether the word 'word' is capitalized or not, the phrase is still 'the word of God'. When used with reference to Christ it is capitalized. When it refers to the Bible it usually is not.

Of Christ. John 1:1In the beginning was the Word (logos; Strong's 3056), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Of Paul's message. 1 Thess. 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word (logon-logos; Strong's 3056) of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

The rest of your post is your usual skeptics attempt to show that the Bible is nothing but the word of men, and is not the intended topic of this thread.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I found it. It's Rev 19:13. I missed that on my list of verses in my search.
I got careless and left off the '1'. It is Rev. 19:13

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
And I got careless and did not fully read all those verses in my search. God lazy toward the end of the list.

Strongs shows the various uses of the word

3056 logos log'-os from 3004; something said (including the thought); by implication, a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension, a computation; specially, (with the article in John) the Divine Expression (i.e. Christ):--account, cause, communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason, + reckon, remove, say(-ing), shew, X speaker, speech, talk, thing, + none of these things move me, tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work. see GREEK for 3004

So it's use of course determines it's meaning. Either a spoken or written word or the Divine Expression. Same phrase is used in English but they use the capital "W" to indicate the Divine Expression over the spoken or written word.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
As careless as to hebrew grammar and syntax....

Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
1 Timothy 6:3-5
"If anyone teaches false doctrines" ... which you seem to adhere to

"and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ" ... which is apparent

"and to godly teaching" .... which we will probably learn sooner or later

"he is conceited and understands nothing" ..... says it all.

How does conceit and "understands nothing" show itself?
"He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words".... who else lately fits that description

" that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction " ... not surprised then that it's a habit

"who have been robbed of the truth" ........... end of God's pov about boasting about languages

Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Then you must make that same claim for the translators of the various English translations of the Bible which is arrogant presumption on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity