Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I have never heard the explanation as to why the Church of Christ tells its members that only those who belong to a Church of Christ will be saved. I don't get it? Those who are truly believers cannot be known for sure. Only God can read people's hearts. So why can't someone who belongs to a Baptist or Methodist church have genuine saving faith in Christ and be saved? How can you know if there are members of a Church of Christ are really just there for the social life and are actually trusting in their own good works to be saved?
I completely agree with you.

The only thing I question is this. How can a person who has what you call a genuine saving faith (which by the way, I can't find that phrase in the Bible) do or not do things authorized by the New Testament?

God bless you,

Katie

Last edited by MissKate12; 02-12-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I consider myself Baptist and I currently go to a church of Christ church. They are the nicest community of Christians I have ever met. I've never gotten so close to a church before. But I must concur when you said they only believe church of Christ people are saved. They really believe they are the one true church and that every other denomination of Christianity is false. I have met multiple members who believe that. I don't know where on Earth they came up with that and how they actually live day to day with that belief, but that is definitely NOT the truth.
Hi Allen,

I guess I am very blessed to worship with a group (church of Christ) who do not think that way about others. Funny, we just had this conversation at Bible study Sunday evening. There were about twenty people there, and all, without exception, agreed that none of us have a right to say that anyone is lost regardless of what denomination they belong to. Unless we can see into the heart of another, we can't judge whether they are saved or not.

It's wrong to make a blanket statement that all Baptists are lost, or all Methodists are lost.

The best we can do is show others what is written in the New Testament. They can read the word for themselves and decide whether or not what they do is in accordance with God's word.

Thanks for posting.

God bless,

Katie

Old 02-12-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What do you mean by "obey the gospel"?

Sounds like a creed. What happens if I disagree with you about a teaching in God's word?

How is that different from other churches?

Which is why Paul, Peter, James, and John wrote letters to churches telling them how to do church?

The Bible doesn't claim that. Hebrews 5:9 simply states that those that are saved obey...but it doesn't say that we obey in order to be saved.

What is the will of the Father in Heaven? It's to believe in Christ. That's it. (John 6:40)

Every good Bible-teaching church teaches that. But we don't teach baptism is necessary for salvation, as the C of C teaches.
2 Thessalonians 1:8
dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

According to Scripture, we must obey the gospel. That's not a creed.

You're allowed to disagree. God will judge your heart as to whether you are going by what His word teaches or what men teach. I can share those Scriptures with you, but in the end, you have to decide how you want to interpret them. Each of us will give an account of himself/herself to God.

It is different than denominations because Jesus built, bled and died for it. It belongs to Him. It is a spiritual institution, not a building with sign out front that says, "church of Christ."

We can also read the book of Acts to learn how "they did church" as you say. It's when we go outside the New Testament when denominations are made.

Hebrews 5:9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

Acts 5:32 32 And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.”

Salvation comes to those who obey. Holy Spirit is given to those who obey. Sounds like these verses say obedience comes first.

So the only will of the Father is to ONLY believe and do nothing else?

Wonder why Jesus said that he who heard and did nothing is like the foolish man who built his house upon the sand? And we all know how that story ends.

46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”

The majority of Christendom teaches baptism for salvation, and have since the beginning. You are in the minority. Your doctrine can be dated back to the mid-1500's. That's how church history records it. I see no evidence in scripture that baptism is not necessary. I would appreciate it if we could discuss this topic in another thread. This one is about why I am a member of the church of Christ.

God bless,

Katie

Last edited by MissKate12; 02-12-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Many years ago, my ex father in law gave me a book called "Why I am a member of the church of christ" I read through it, and try as I might, could not agree with much of it. years later, I think I can say that my beliefs are probably opposite of about everything in that book.

I did attend the church with the ex's family, was even considered a "member" although non-consensually by them. After multiple bad experiences, I walked away and never looked back. I can say based on my observations and what I have studied both formally and informally, the movement definatly fills a niche but is rarely healthy or postivie for anyone involved. I encountered abusive people, dysfunctional families, deceptive recruiting, and an elitist/narcissistic attitude, including that common "us vs the world" mentality.

The "las straw" came when I received an unsolicited phone call from someone claiming to be an "elder" or "deacon" (I cnanot remember which, telling me he had "heard that I was attending a Christmas Mass" and wanted to tell me that I was not to go. When I told him I was going anyway and he should mind his own business, the conversation got pretty ugly.
Some Christians sure have foul mouths, but when hypocrisy is the rule and fear is the governor, then negativity would abound. and flourish.
You will find those kinds of people in every group.

You have made a judgement on an entire group of people based on your own experiences.

That would be like me saying all Baptists are bad.

Every group will be judged by their works and worship according to the words found in the New Testament. Every individual will stand before the judgement seat. It's not up to us to make the call of who is saved or who is lost.

I know that Jesus said He would build His church, and the gates of hell would not prevail against it. That says to me that the church is alive and well today throughout the world.

Who are the members? I don't know. I can't read hearts, but I can know this. I want to be with a group that patterns itself after the New Testament church as much as they possibly can. I don't want to follow the teachings of men.

I can honestly say that I am a member of the church of Christ, the Lord's church. I know because I have obeyed the gospel, and the Holy Spirit is promised to those who obey. I use the New Testament as my standard of authority for my work and worship.

God bless you,

Katie

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I am a member of the church of Christ because it teaches that sinners are to be born again of water and Spirit (John 3:5) by being baptized into Christ (Galatians 3:26-27)

But Jesus does....
Mark 16:16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

[1] Mark 16:16 .... necessary for salvation but not absolutely necessary
Read the whole verse. Those that believe and are baptized will be saved. Those that don't believe will not be. It says nothing about those that don't get baptized.
Quote:
[2] Matthew 28:19 .... is how disciples are made. Jesus didn't say "go make disciples through decision theology."
Again--you're reading into it. It says nothing about being saved by baptism--but only that you should baptize disciples.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Default Reasons why i am a member of the church of christ

Well . . . since there are no capital letters in the title . . . it does not refer to a specific denomination of Christ followers. This means that all who follow Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they don't would be members of Christ's church. That would include me.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
They are not just the only ones who put out that claim as you know. Everybody pretty much knows that JW's, LDS, RCC also does. I think that the common thread among them is law focused.
Thanks for pointing that out. Many denominations make the claim that they are the one true church.

Hogwash!

But no one can deny that there is a true church, and it is alive and well. Jesus said the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

No one has the right to say whether a group of worshipers is a true church or not. That call belongs to God, and to Him alone.

In defense of the church of Christ, not all of them pass judgement on others. I know the church of Christ I worship with does not. Neither did the last one I worshiped with.

Are there some who do? No doubt. But it's wrong to label all of them like that.

God bless you,

Katie

Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
2 Thessalonians 1:8
dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

According to Scripture, we must obey the gospel. That's not a creed.
What does it mean to "obey the Gospel"? Paul uses the same phrase in Romans 10:16. He's describing the Jews that are still trying to please God by obeying the Mosaic Law. He's not trying to suggest you have to earn or keep your salvation by good works. That would mean you are not saved by grace.
Quote:

You're allowed to disagree. God will judge your heart as to whether you are going by what His word teaches or what men teach. I can share those Scriptures with you, but in the end, you have to decide how you want to interpret them. Each of us will give an account of himself/herself to God.

It is different than denominations because Jesus built, bled and died for it. It belongs to Him. It is a spiritual institution, not a building with sign out front that says, "church of Christ."
I'd say you're extremely idealistic if you believe that the C of C is the one Jesus founded. I'd put you in the same category as the Landmark Baptists that believe their founder was John the Baptist.
Quote:
We can also read the book of Acts to learn how "they did church" as you say. It's when we go outside the New Testament when denominations are made.
Do you meet in a building or a home? If you are not a home church, you're outside the NT.
Quote:
Hebrews 5:9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

Acts 5:32 32 And we are His witnesses to these things, and so also is the Holy Spirit whom God has given to those who obey Him.”

Salvation comes to those who obey. Holy Spirit is given to those who obey. Sounds like these verses say obedience comes first.

So the only will of the Father is to ONLY believe and do nothing else? Wonder why Jesus said that he who heard and did nothing is like the foolish man who built his house upon the sand? And we all know how that story ends.
46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? 47 Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock. 49 But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell. And the ruin of that house was great.”
Have you studied the context of that verse? I suggest you do. Jesus is clearly saying in the preceding verses that it's about the heart--and the condition of the heart affects what comes out of the person. The works are not what saves....but they are an indication of what is in the heart. Simply telling a person to be obedient is not a sufficient shortcut to Godliness. That is moralism -- and on the day of judgment, Jesus will cast us out because he did not know us.
Quote:

The majority of Christendom teaches baptism for salvation, and have since the beginning. You are in the minority. Your doctrine can be dated back to the mid-1500's to a man named Zwingli.
The apostles taught baptism by faith alone. I don't care what Zwingli taught, to be honest.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Hi Allen,

I guess I am very blessed to worship with a group (church of Christ) who do not think that way about others. Funny, we just had this conversation at Bible study Sunday evening. There were about twenty people there, and all, without exception, agreed that none of us have a right to say that anyone is lost regardless of what denomination they belong to. Unless we can see into the heart of another, we can't judge whether they are saved or not.

It's wrong to make a blanket statement that all Baptists are lost, or all Methodists are lost.

The best we can do is show others what is written in the New Testament. They can read the word for themselves and decide whether or not what they do is in accordance with God's word.

Thanks for posting.

God bless,

Katie
Katie

Honest question, is what you stated above what you really believe or is it more that you believe that the only believers outside of the church of Christ are the ones who believe how the church of Christ does. It does sound odd that your particular fellowship is an exception to the rest that believe they are only the one true church.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well . . . since there are no capital letters in the title . . . it does not refer to a specific denomination of Christ followers. This means that all who follow Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when they don't would be members of Christ's church. That would include me.
yeah ok..... i guess you missed her post about.....

The church of Christ has no creed other than what is written in God's word.

I am a member of the church of Christ because its worship is totally Biblical. It offers its worship through Jesus, the one mediator (1 Timothy 2:5)

Keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity