Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I did not say I was looking for one, I simply said no one had offered one, but you were making comments to argue against pointd no one had made.
Well I did, and your response was "no thanks I know what it means". You could have said thanks for sharing that but I disagree, or simply have said I disagree and why.

Don't be ashamed of stating that you believe any good anyone does who is not a christian is like filthy rags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
You know, the whole problem that we are talking about here is. what our understanding is about the character of God and just how because of that revealed character, God deals with all of humankind and how that is different for those who He has adopted into His Family and brought into His Kingdom.

If we are going to be Christians who base our beliefs on the bible we MUST stop defining and understanding God according to our own human intellect. How many times have you heard, "God couldn't be like that!!! It would be unfair". First of all, that was one of the most common objections my children always resorted to when they did not like how I, as their father was dealing with them in any way they failed to understand. They were under my authority and fairness or lack of it is irrelevant.

GOD ACTUALLY DOES TREAT THE MASS OF HUMANITY FAIRLY. They recieve justice from God. What could be more fair than that. The rest of Humanity does not recieve justice but instead recieves Grace. Grace is defined as "unearned favour". AS a human being I deserve justice, God promised that to the sons and daughters of Adam. They would be judged as a result of their sin. For some reason known only to God I have escaped His justice and instead am a recipient of His wonderful Grace. Why me and not someone else who is more deserving? There are many in the world who live a better and cleaner life than I but they will never be saved. You see, it's only in my eyes they are more deserving of Grace, not in God's eyes. We are all equally guilty in God's eyes and He chooses who He will out of His Sovereign Will. He is not answerable to anyone, He does what He wills to do and if that seems unfair, or wrong in some way to His creature it really matters not to Him.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Are you saying all good deeds committed by someone who is not a Christian, is like a filthy rag in Gods sight ?. There is wonderful deeds being committed all over the world by folk who are not Christians,without a thought they are earning anything.
Believe it or not, but I actually meant what I said. Why is it that when someone says something, you ask them if they said something else?

Quote:
Not everyone is thinking of earning brownie points.
Right. Some are, and some aren't.

Quote:
Those that are,are the ones who look down on others as sinners.
Searching for salvation through works, and looking down on others are two different things.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, but I actually meant what I said. Why is it that when someone says something, you ask them if they said something else?

Right. Some are, and some aren't.

Searching for salvation through works, and looking down on others are two different things.
Are you saying all good deeds committed by someone who is not a Christian, is like a filthy rag in Gods sight ?

Yes or no, I still think you avoiding stating what you really believe . I hope that I am wrong.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Really?
Yes, really. Ever spent any time with a two year old? They are sweet, certainly, but also completely self-centered. We all, by nature, are born that way. I don't know what your point is. If you are saying we don't have an intrinsic selfish nature, I disagree. Why else would we need to purify our hearts through the inworking of the Holy Spirit? Do you not believe in the process of sanctification?

Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
I respectfully disagree with the filthy rags mentality, but each to there own demise.
Quote:
I never said all good deeds are like filthy rags. I simply said the Bible talked about filthy rags (meaning people's deeds), and I said it to educate Jewade who was not aware of such verses.
Interesting, as the reference was not about deeds:

"A person’s mentality, view or outlook on life, creates the stage of comprehension; not necessarily their actions or deeds."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If we are going to be Christians who base our beliefs on the bible we MUST stop defining and understanding God according to our own human intellect.
Now, that one has me scratching my chin.
Especially, if you consider the thoughts and perceptions of men to be the infallible word of God?

Old 03-03-2013, 03:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
If man has free will God doesn't know the future. I think an all knowing God knows the present and past entirely but by what means would he know he future unless he intended to interfere? Which would negate free will.

And if we lack free will religion has no ethical meaning and is just a ceremony to placate capricious and mercurial gods, no different than sacrificing a bull to Jove. Paganism but less honest.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Yes, really. Ever spent any time with a two year old? They are sweet, certainly, but also completely self-centered. We all, by nature, are born that way. I don't know what your point is. If you are saying we don't have an intrinsic selfish nature, I disagree. Why else would we need to purify our hearts through the inworking of the Holy Spirit? Do you not believe in the process of sanctification?
I have spent considerable time with children, especially my own daughters.
They were givers, not takers, thus, they were not naturally inclined to be selfish.

As for Sanctification, I believe there is a moral significance towards humanity.
It's a matter of the heart;
for we can become corrupted by hardening them.

Last edited by Jerwade; 03-03-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 03:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Interesting, as the reference was not about deeds:

"A person’s mentality, view or outlook on life, creates the stage of comprehension; not necessarily their actions or deeds."

Now, that one has me scratching my chin.
Especially, if you consider the thoughts and perceptions of men to be the infallible word of God?
Christians believe the Bible to be the word of God not the perceptions of Man.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,083 times
Isaiah 64:6 is refiring to all human effort to do righteous/good works, let alone the unsaved. The elects righteousness, is the righteousness of Christ accounted to them. Works do not account for a right relationship with God, that comes with FAITH in his son.

What we consider good social works, feeding the poor, helping old ladies across the street, are in Gods eyes filthy rags. Go read Romans 7, for Pauls scripture about good works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity