Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:10 PM

57 posts, read 151,114 times

Advertisements

As Christians we believe that God is our Father. And most Christians also believe that Jesus is God. If this is the case, then doesn't that mean Jesus is also our Father? Jesus = God = our Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan_Is_A_Loser View Post
As Christians we believe that God is our Father. And most Christians also believe that Jesus is God. If this is the case, then doesn't that mean Jesus is also our Father? Jesus = God = our Father.
Correction: ALL Christians believe Jesus is God.

Now....regarding your question....Jesus is the 2nd person of the Trinity. The Trinity is how we describe God. There is one God, 3 persons. All 3 persons are the same God--the same essence. They are not separate beings, or Gods. They are one...but 3 persons. You can pray to any of the 3, but the Son is not the Father, and is not the Spirit.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:20 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
What Vizio said

Old 04-06-2013, 04:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
I don't know. My mother, who was Methodist, and my father, who was raised Roman Catholic, both always told us Jesus was the son of God, not God Himself.

They told me God created Jesus as a whole baby (no Mary genetically involved, is how I'd interpret that today) and placed Jesus inside of Mary.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Quote:
Correct! That is what the word of God teaches.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't know. My mother, who was Methodist, and my father, who was raised Roman Catholic, both always told us Jesus was the son of God, not God Himself.

They told me God created Jesus as a whole baby (no Mary genetically involved, is how I'd interpret that today) and placed Jesus inside of Mary.
Not to contradict your beloved parents, but I can assure you both Catholics and Methodists do indeed believe in the holy Trinity, meaning Jesus IS God.

He is considered the second person in the Trinity - which consists of God the Father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not to contradict your beloved parents, but I can assure you both Catholics and Methodists do indeed believe in the holy Trinity, meaning Jesus IS God.

He is considered the second person in the Trinity - which consists of God the Father, Jesus the son and the Holy Spirit.
No, that certainly could be (that my parents were wrong). My mother told me a lot of weird things about God! Which pretty much gives you the result you see before you, LOL.

OTOH, they could have just been trying to be cool hippies. That would make a lot of sense, actually, now that I think about it.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:48 PM

33,238 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ is indeed God. He is the Second Person of the Trinity. But only the First Person of the Trinity is said to be our Father. Jesus Himself, speaking from the standpoint of His humanity said to Mary after His resurrection, '... ''Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.' " (John 20:17)

Believers in Jesus become a part of Jesus' family with God (the Father) as their Father.

Hebrews 2:11 For both He who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are all from one Father; for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Jesus calls those who believe in Him His brothers. We have one heavenly Father.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Here is one thing that has always puzzled me about this: if Jesus was God Himself, why did Jesus talk to God? ("take this cup from me...not my will but Thy will be done," etc.)

ETA: I think I also always saw the "I and my Father are one" thing as sort of a metaphysical thing. Like, we are all one and we are all God.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 PM

33,238 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Here is one thing that has always puzzled me about this: if Jesus was God Himself, why did Jesus talk to God? ("take this cup from me...not my will but Thy will be done," etc.)
Since the time of the incarnation, and forevermore, Jesus is both eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person. He is not half God and half man, but fully and truly God, and true humanity. The theological term is 'hypostatic union' which means that in the Person of Jesus Christ are two distinct natures which are inseparately united, but without any mixture of attributes. The attributes of His humanity are distinct from the attributes of His deity.

For that reason, Jesus could speak from the standpoint of His humanity, or He could speak from the standpoint of His deity, or He could speak from the standpoint of His whole Person.

From the standpoint of His humanity, Jesus said 'I thirst' John 19:28. Deity cannot thirst, but as a man Jesus could get thirsty.

From the standpoint of His deity, Jesus said ''Before Abraham was, I am.'' John 8:58. As man, Jesus had a beginning. But as God He has eternally existed.

From the standpoint of His whole Person, Jesus said ''Come to Me, all who are weary and heavyladen, and I will give you rest.'' Matthew 11:28.

And so, as man, from the standpoint of His humanity, Jesus prayed to the Father just as we are to do.

That Jesus is both God and man can be seen by a comparison of John 1:1 with John 1:14, and Philippians 2:5-6 with 2:7-8.

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-06-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity