Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Wasnt really an issue of: Im not sure, lemme ask to see if its okay. What I seem to see it alot of Christians, atleast many I have know, have no problem having strippers at their bachelors/bachelorette party's and while others are 100% against it. The responses are pretty much: NO, you should know better or YES, stop being a uptight Christian and have fun.
Indeed. Seems to vary from person to person, just when the bible should be followed. When, for example, a man should flee youthful lusts and when he can deny that watching a stripper dance naked two feet away from you has a little something to do with lust... Idk, I'm just an uneducated atheist, however. Maybe some lust is godly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I was always pretty wild before I married. I courted my wife for 6 years before she let me catch her. She wanted to be sure I was sure and there were no "unsown Oats." My Bachelor party was fun . . . but absolutely no strippers or other sexually arousing stimuli. I saw no point in stimulating my body when there was no chance that I would engage in the activity my body was being stimulated about. I was (and remain) totally committed to my wife. We never even undress in front of one another after all these years. We refuse to expose ourselves to the stimuli until we intend to do what the arousal provokes. It has served us well. I recommend it. We have been married happily for 51 years. I don't know what the guidelines for a Christian are . . . but I know what we used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well we don't even know for sure that Mystic wasn't still relying on context. I mean, how many couples, really (outside of nudists) would not get excited just a little bit at the sight of their spouse walking around naked? He may be attributing this little rule of his to attraction as a response to seeing nudity, but it may in fact be because that's his wife - someone who's... available to him.
It is a simple matter of stimulus conditioning. IF you are repeatedly presented with a stimulus designed to produce arousal and subsequent performance . . . and it becomes associated with other responses . . . eventually your body and brain become decoupled (de-conditioned) from the stimulus and it ceases to arouse. You are familiar with the term desensitization?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It is a simple matter of stimulus conditioning. IF you are repeatedly presented with a stimulus designed to produce arousal and subsequent performance . . . and it becomes associated with other responses . . . eventually your body and brain become decoupled (de-conditioned) from the stimulus and it ceases to arouse. You are familiar with the term desensitization?
I actually used it earlier in this same thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Quote:
I actually used it earlier in this same thread
My bad. I missed that. Senior moment!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Well we don't even know for sure that Mystic wasn't still relying on context.
The user was indicating avoiding any and all non sexual instances of nudity. If that was not the users meaning and intention then it was a seriously badly written and misleading post.

Quote:
I mean, how many couples, really (outside of nudists) would not get excited just a little bit at the sight of their spouse walking around naked?
Again context and timing is everything. I have had many many such experiences in my relationship where nudity did not evoke any remotely sexual response from me. Nudity is quite common in our household actually in both us and our children.

Quote:
As it pertains to strippers, however, I do see his point definitely. If it's to excite me sexually... why? Since I won't be doing anything sexual with the stripper.
Which is why I referenced cookery shows. Why watch them if it is not to learn how to make that exact dish and eat it? Yet cookery shows are an industry so successful that almost every network has more than one of them and they have launched the multinational successful careers of many people like Jamie Oliver.

Perhaps the reason is that the titilation of our desires and responses is an end in and of itself. You are focused solely - it seems - on the satisfaction of those desires and missing the idea that perhaps simply the experience of those desires is - itself - an end we can pursue and enjoy in and of itself.

Quote:
But stimulus is never one SINGLE thing. Nudity is only one single thing. The stimulus of nudity comes with many other things. Knowledge. Intention. Context. Experience. And much more.

Seeing nudity all the time is not going to "desensitize" you to anything because the "stimulus" is many-fold and not just attached solely to the nudity. I can see my current partners nude every day and I do not become sexually responsive to it - yet I am not desnsitized to becoming sexually responsive their nudity?

Why? Because the "stimuls" is not just their nudity. But everything surrounding it contextually and more.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
As it pertains to strippers, however, I do see his point definitely. If it's to excite me sexually... why? Since I won't be doing anything sexual with the stripper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Which is why I referenced cookery shows. Why watch them if it is not to learn how to make that exact dish and eat it? Yet cookery shows are an industry so successful that almost every network has more than one of them and they have launched the multinational successful careers of many people like Jamie Oliver.

Perhaps the reason is that the titilation of our desires and responses is an end in and of itself. You are focused solely - it seems - on the satisfaction of those desires and missing the idea that perhaps simply the experience of those desires is - itself - an end we can pursue and enjoy in and of itself.
Just for the sake of argument, let's make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

If I'm in the room with a meal that looks good, I uhh... I wanna eat it or at least eat something. Otherwise, no, I don't want to be in there. Why would I?

If I'm in the room with a stripper that looks good, I uhh... Well you get my drift.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
I think we've exhausted this thread.. Mods could we close this one down?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I think we've exhausted this thread.. Mods could we close this one down?
What on earth... Who are you, again? To just jump in the middle of a conversation and proclaim that no one's talking?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:56 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
I wanna eat it
Yes. And my point is that _sometimes_ the experience of desire is the end in and of itself. Satisfaction of that desire is not a necessity. We go to strip clubs as a species for much the same reason as we watch cookery shows. The stimulation of the desire is an experience in and of itself. Life does not have to be solely about satisfaction of our moment to moment impulses. It can also simply be about --having-- those impulses.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Yes. And my point is that _sometimes_ the experience of desire is the end in and of itself. Satisfaction of that desire is not a necessity. We go to strip clubs as a species for much the same reason as we watch cookery shows. The stimulation of the desire is an experience in and of itself. Life does not have to be solely about satisfaction of our moment to moment impulses. It can also simply be about --having-- those impulses.
To some people, sure. I'm just speaking for myself here.

The irony is that you're going to have those impulses one way or another, even if - no, likely especially if you make it a point to minimize your exposure to adult female nudity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity