Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 03:31 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
It is - but if you truely believe you have evidence for the claims then I would welcome a thread from you on the subject in the proper place and forum if you feel capable to deliver it.

What I am saying on topic however is that there is a difference between your gods opinion and words - and your interpretation of those words.

The OP asks is it wrong for Christians to do X - and the answer is that it entirely depends on _which_ Christians you talk to. Because each has his own interpretations of the words of said god and each believes his to be the correct one. There are many Christians debating for things like polygamy as mentioned on the thread - as there are many debating against it. And each feels their interpretation of scripture supports their position.
While I do appreciate your point that Christian views can range from extreme to extremely liberal based on the subject and denomination of Christians, there are just some things that all Christians can and do agree on.

God is pretty clear on the behavior he finds acceptable. And Jesus set some great examples when he walked among us about how to live and how to treat others. So it seems like a no brainer that Christians would agree that participating in "entertainment" involving strippers is not going to be honorable behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:44 PM

130 posts, read 226,539 times
Quote:
It is - but if you truely believe you have evidence for the claims then I would welcome a thread from you on the subject in the proper place and forum if you feel capable to deliver it.

What I am saying on topic however is that there is a difference between your gods opinion and words - and your interpretation of those words.

The OP asks is it wrong for Christians to do X - and the answer is that it entirely depends on _which_ Christians you talk to. Because each has his own interpretations of the words of said god and each believes his to be the correct one. There are many Christians debating for things like polygamy as mentioned on the thread - as there are many debating against it. And each feels their interpretation of scripture supports their position.

Perhaps the answer is that Christianity is a personal journey and it is up to each Christian to evaluate the life of Christ for themselves and decide in their own heart what is "right" or "wrong". This idea that any one Christian - or any group of Christians - can universally declare one interpretation to be "True Christianity" is where the danger lies - especially if it leads you to declare others to be not true Christians - or people twisting and warping scripture to their own ends. They would simply say the same of you and conversation would break down and fail.
I would like to see a Christian, debate these scriptures:

Lusting over a stripper is a sin

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body."
-1 Cor 6:18

"So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."
-2 Timothy 2:22

"But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
-Matthew 5:28

"For lust is a shameful sin, a crime that should be punished. It is a devastating fire that destroys to hell."
-Job 31:11

Old 05-23-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post

Lusting over a stripper is a sin

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body."

"So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."

"But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

"For lust is a shameful sin, a crime that should be punished. It is a devastating fire that destroys to hell."
Yeah, like I said, God is pretty clear on acceptable behaviors for his people

Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
there are just some things that all Christians can and do agree on.
If there is - I certainly have not found it. Certainly nothing that is relevant to the topic of THIS thread and things that have been mentioned on THIS thread - such as strippers and polygamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
God is pretty clear on the behavior he finds acceptable.
To you. And people who have a different interpretation say the same thing - that it is all pretty clear too. This is where conversation breaks down. You are sure your interpretations are correct and that it is all so "clear" to you. So do the people with a different interpretation.

Quote:
You will have to ask one to do so then - given I am not one and hence your post has nothing to do with me. I came into the thread to correct one bad post - and said user has back tracked and re-worded the post much better - so the only reason I am still here is other users have been discussing my posts and I felt it polite to reply.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:

I'd like an answer to these as well. In addition to those verses I found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I'd say there's more reason to think it's a "sin" than to think otherwise.

1 John 2:16-17
For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desies, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,... drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 AM

149 posts, read 343,361 times
Thats plain NOT something a Christian would even think of doing.Are we Deaf and BLIND?Is this passing judgement?I belive it would be considered useing good judgement if you were a Christian fighting the good fight of faith in life.
Going to church on Sunday and liveing like the unsaved is not saying much for considering oneself to be a Christian.
They say if your doing or considering doing ANYTHING that you wouldnt wont your Pastor to know about is a sure way to indicate weather it is a wise or decent thing to be envolved in.
Sadley this is the way many belivers in Christ live today.
Its up to you to make that stand no matter what the cost.That is what sets us apart...

Old 05-24-2013, 05:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
So what do Christians do at bachlor partys????

You guys are pretty boring no?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post

I can't speak for Christians, but I've always found the fun in a bachelor party to be just cuttin' up with friends, havin' a few drinks, etc., stripper or no.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post

No.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I

To you.

No, not just to me

While interpretations on some things in the Bible do differ, the very basic commandment to "love one another" and all that Christians understand this entails would prevent any Christian from being able to say engaging in the use of strippers (or prostitutes for that matter) is "okay".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity