Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Your exact words were "things that went on in ancient cultures are not the way live today - multiple wives ARE NOT okay."

I am pointing out that this is judgemental nonsense. Many people in fact do live such lives and it is perfectly ok.
I suppose I should have said, "In America today it is not okay to have two wives at the same time. In fact, it is illegal."

THAT is what I meant by "multiple wives are not okay".

It wasn't a judgement, it was a statement of legal fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 02:26 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I suppose I should have said, "In America today it is not okay to have two wives at the same time. In fact, it is illegal."

THAT is what I meant by "multiple wives are not okay".

It wasn't a judgement, it was a statement of legal fact.
This backtrack does indeed leave you saying something of some worth. It is indeed illegal and I am all for following and enforcing the law.

I certainly would not allow the statement stand that that position of having more than one wife is itself "not ok" as many people all over the world do it in the present and in the past. There is nothing wrong with it, per se.

I have no issue with your clarification above.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
This backtrack does indeed leave you saying something of some worth. It is indeed illegal and I am all for following and enforcing the law.

I certainly would not allow the statement stand that that position of having more than one wife is itself "not ok" as many people all over the world do it in the present and in the past. There is nothing wrong with it, per se.

I have no issue with your clarification above.
For the typical Christian who accepts basic doctrine it would be considered wrong. (Yes I am aware of biblical figures who engaged in polygamous relationships). Since this is the Christianity forum, I am not sure why anyone would think incorrect for someone to point out this very basic and broadly accepted Christian definition of what is right or wrong in this regard.

What is right or wrong for you is for you to decide. What is right or wrong for a Christian, who believes their God is real, is for that God to decide and for other Christians to reinforce.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,652,330 times
Quote:
Is it wrong for Christians to have strippers at their Bachelor/Bachelorette Party?
Yes. Full stop.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
For the typical Christian who accepts basic doctrine it would be considered wrong. (Yes I am aware of biblical figures who engaged in polygamous relationships). Since this is the Christianity forum, I am not sure why anyone would think incorrect for someone to point out this very basic and broadly accepted Christian definition of what is right or wrong in this regard.

What is right or wrong for you is for you to decide. What is right or wrong for a Christian, who believes their God is real, is for that God to decide and for other Christians to reinforce.
The original quote did not make it clear it was a Christian interpretation. It simply matter of fact said it is "not ok".

Further - we do not have to assume Christian Interpretation is correct just because it is the majority interpretation. I assume if you think there is a god then it is a logical one and its opinions make sense. If your interpretation of this gods word is that "X is not ok" but you yourself can not see a single argument or position that supports the sense behind saying "X is not ok" then perhaps the interpretation is wrong and is worth re-examining.

However I repeat - if you read the original quote I referred to it did not mention Christian theology or interpretations. In fact the first part of the sentence distanced the speaker from OT law - and then without reference to any theology just declared that ancient culture practices are not ok today.

I have however accepted the new position that it is only "Not ok" in countries where it is illegal. A position I have no issue with.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
[quote=monumentus;29659144]

Further - we do not have to assume Christian Interpretation is correct just because it is the majority interpretation. I assume if you think there is a god then it is a logical one and its opinions make sense. If your interpretation of this gods word is that "X is not ok" but you yourself can not see a single argument or position that supports the sense behind saying "X is not ok" then perhaps the interpretation is wrong and is worth re-examining.
/QUOTE]

Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Ah is that the IGI nateswift by any chance? Hi-Hi. Truple here

If not, ignore the above

Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Ah is that the IGI nateswift by any chance? Hi-Hi. Truple here

If not, ignore the above
It used to be.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
The original quote did not make it clear it was a Christian interpretation. It simply matter of fact said it is "not ok".

However I repeat - if you read the original quote I referred to it did not mention Christian theology or interpretations. In fact the first part of the sentence distanced the speaker from OT law - and then without reference to any theology just declared that ancient culture practices are not ok today.

I have however accepted the new position that it is only "Not ok" in countries where it is illegal. A position I have no issue with.

Maybe the fact that you are on the "Christianity" forum where a Christian asked other Christians the question about having strippers at the bachelor party should have clued you in that my answer was given to him from a CHRISTIAN perspective.

Given all that, I really didn't think it needed to be stated But here it is for clarity - ancient practices are not "okay" when it comes to today's Christians having more than one wife at a time. Not only is this illegal in America, it is against God's definition of marriage.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe the fact that you are on the "Christianity" forum where a Christian asked other Christians the question about having strippers at the bachelor party should have clued you in that my answer was given to him from a CHRISTIAN perspective.
Not really. All kinds of perspectives come into all kinds of forums - and often diverge from the title of the forum itself.

Quote:
Not only is this illegal in America, it is against God's definition of marriage.
Your definition maybe. There are many Christians who debate the opposite interpretation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity