Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fellow Christians why did u sign up for the Christianity forum?
To fellowship with other Christians, to edify, and support them 14 93.33%
To show others how good of a Christian I am, while showing them they're not as good as they think 1 6.67%
To debate, argue and prove my point that what I say is right about scripture and other's beliefs 4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 03:05 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
I'm just trying to figure this all out. Definitely was not expecting to see all the debating/arguing.
Yes on this forum Christians can come and go , but it is a place were Christians can go as they study God Word, but they will have to resist the pride nature which is religious based ....... As this will be a good thing because God resist the proud.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 05:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
Yes I will share my testimony:

Last January I ended up homeless, and moved into a men's home for a local church. I had been traumatized from my childhood, growing up w a father who had schizoid affective disorder, and a drug and alcohol problem. I ended up becoming a drug addict as well, and found myself w no support, no job and nowhere to turn.

I moved into the home, and it was not easy. We were taken advantage of, worked like dogs, sometimes around the clock. There were 17 of us living in one avg. sized house, and we were not fed very well, sometimes we didn't even get lunch. We often didn't get much sleep, and there were nights that we didn't get to sleep at all. Questioning or complaining to the director led u to be told, u were going against what God wanted for u. This is where the power of prayer changed my life.

I was being worn down, mentally, and physically. During prayer one day I told God to have his way in my life, and that my will was no longer my own. From that moment on, I have been reborn.

God answered all of my prayers from that moment on, and I prayed my way through the home. What happened in the home was not right, but I'm the person I am today because of it. I was able to completely forgive those that I held resentment towards, since I was a child. I have also been drug free for 500 days as of today. The best part about God's grace is being able to be the father, I always wanted to be, and not having to feel guilty about anything I did in my past. Jesus says in the bible that all things in Christ are a new creation, and I am so thankful for His mercy and grace. My life I owe to Him.

Here is the scripture that helped me the most when I was in the home...Every time I read this scripture I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and it gave me the strength and courage to push on.

"He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
Even the youths shall faint and be weary.
And the young men shall utterly fall,
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."

-Isaiah 40:29-31
Thanks for sharing. It is a great example how trusting God turns things around

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Neither you nor any other human being has the right or ability to judge who IS or is NOT Christian. That is up to Christ alone. Any human beings who do so are treading on very dangerous spiritual soil. We are all free to witness to OUR understanding . . . but we have no right whatsoever to judge anyone else's heart or Faith. The arrogance and self-righteousness in doing so is very thin spiritual ice to be walking on.
But we can and should judge what is sound, orthodox Christian doctrine. What the Church has believed for 2,000 years. For example, universal reconciliation is not Christian doctrine. It may sound nice, but it just isn't. And no freedom "to witness to OUR understanding" is going to change that. If I disagree with a doctrine, that doesn't mean I'm putting you down.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:29 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
"The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one." - 1 Corinthians 2:15
You are misinterpreting this passage. It is talking about the Holy Spirit and the ONLY spiritual one who has brought the Holy Spirit to humankind . . . Jesus the Christ. Jesus is the ONLY one who is judged of no man!!

1 Corinthians 2:13-16 (King James Version)

13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15But He that is spiritual (Christ) judgeth all things, yet He himself is judged of no man.
16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

You rely on our ignorant ancestors interpretations of the OT at your own peril.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thanks for sharing. It is a great example how trusting God turns things around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You slam him pretty hard, and I am not even sure where you got all that information, because it does not seem correct at all.
Trust is hard to earn, but easily lost.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
But we can and should judge what is sound, orthodox Christian doctrine. What the Church has believed for 2,000 years. For example, universal reconciliation is not Christian doctrine. It may sound nice, but it just isn't. And no freedom "to witness to OUR understanding" is going to change that. If I disagree with a doctrine, that doesn't mean I'm putting you down.
Not a bad thought, but you should note that even in the times of the Apostles there were different groups trying to insert different doctrines and ideas so what has been believed by the majority is no guarantee that it is correct, especially when the records that we have of what was believed come from periods somewhat removed in time from Jesus. 1900 years of bad information is no recommendation.

Scripture and tradition are both good supports for sound thinking, but not the whole arsenal.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Have you not ever questioned why there has been no real clarification of the "carnal milk" it was necessary to feed our ignorant savage ancestors in over 2000+ years??? How do you think the "solid food" is ever to be discerned if retaining the "carnal milk" is made mandatory as a sign of Faith in God????

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not a bad thought, but you should note that even in the times of the Apostles there were different groups trying to insert different doctrines and ideas so what has been believed by the majority is no guarantee that it is correct, especially when the records that we have of what was believed come from periods somewhat removed in time from Jesus. 1900 years of bad information is no recommendation.
Scripture and tradition are both good supports for sound thinking, but not the whole arsenal.
Amen! It has been the supreme travesty of religions that they have perpetuated ignorant ancient beliefs and superstitions ("carnal milk") instead of seeking the "solid food" of Love in Christ's Gospel.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Unfortunately...there are many that post here that simply aren't Christian.
Quote:
Neither you nor any other human being has the right or ability to judge who IS or is NOT Christian.
Quote:
I don't claim to be able to do so.
How can you say that you don't claim to judge who or who is not a Christian when you just got through doing so!?!?!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
I am able to make observations of people based on their statements. Actually.....yea--I'll say, based on that, I CAN judge if they're a Christian or not.
You can judge all you want, but your judgment is no more or less accurate than the next person's. You really aren't capable of determining whether any professing Christian is truly a Christian or not. You're only capable of determining whether that person interprets the Bible in the same way as you do or not.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,946 times
Quote:
Have you not ever questioned why there has been no real clarification of the "carnal milk" it was necessary to feed our ignorant savage ancestors in over 2000+ years??? How do you think the "solid food" is ever to be discerned if retaining the "carnal milk" is made mandatory as a sign of Faith in God????

Amen! It has been the supreme travesty of religions that they have perpetuated ignorant ancient beliefs and superstitions ("carnal milk") instead of seeking the "solid food" of Love in Christ's Gospel.
Mystic, our belief systems are too divergent to even have a discussion. We speak different languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity