Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fellow Christians why did u sign up for the Christianity forum?
To fellowship with other Christians, to edify, and support them 14 93.33%
To show others how good of a Christian I am, while showing them they're not as good as they think 1 6.67%
To debate, argue and prove my point that what I say is right about scripture and other's beliefs 4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:42 PM

130 posts, read 226,477 times

Advertisements

I subscribed to this forum, to fellowship w other Christians, to hear their stories, and see how other's lives have been changed by Christ. I have been pretty shocked to see that most of the threads are, to show other Christians how superior they are, to question other's faith, to try and confuse, or question your beliefs, etc. I know that there are a few non-Christians on the forum, questioning and trying to disprove Christianity, but what about the Christians that are doing this? Shouldn't we be here to edify, support and fellowship w each other? Aren't we all on the same side? As a recently born-again Christian I am starting to see why many Christians and Christian churches get a bad name. Many of these threads are embarrassing. Let's say we forget about all the petty arguments, and focus on our salvation!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
Ok thank u for your post. I am new to Christian forums, and a recently born-again Christian, so I'm just trying to figure this all out. Definitely was not expecting to see all the debating/arguing.
Welcome to the board, and feel free to open fellowship threads You could even open one dedicated to recently born again Christians. If you mention the fact that it is a non-debate thread, most posters will respect it, and they will be moderated accordingly.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Welcome to the board, and feel free to open fellowship threads You could even open one dedicated for recently born again Christians. If you mention the fact that it is a non-debate thread, then most posters will respect it, and they will be moderated accordingly.
Thank you for the welcome, and the info!

Old 05-25-2013, 05:08 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
Drink that milk young'n, and welcome!

Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Definitely was not expecting to see all the debating/arguing.
I didn't expect it either.

I'd made only a handful of posts when I joined in on a particular discussion and was met with vehement opposition. I was told I was flat out wrong, that what I believed wasn't biblical, and that I should shut the heck up because I didn't know what I was talking about.

Gosh I love a challenge!

Within two days I was told I was going to hell. So, of course, I decided, "What a fun group! Must post more!"

Welcome aboard.

p.s. Great shirt!

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-25-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I didn't expect it either.

I'd made only a handful of posts when I joined in on a particular discussion and was met with vehement opposition. I was told I was flat out wrong, that what I believed wasn't biblical, and that I should shut the heck up because I didn't know what I was talking about.

Gosh I love a challenge!

Within two days I was told I was going to hell. So, of course, I decided, "What a fun group! Must post more!"

Welcome aboard.
Thank u Little Elmer and DewDropInn. Ya I got met w some of that already too. I just started a thread and asked people to share their uplifting stories about their or others spiritual gifts, and in almost all of the responses I was told that I was wrong about this, and wrong about that, and need to reread certain parts of the bible. I stopped reading those comments, I really have no desire to argue. The bible is so complex, there are always going to be differences of opinion. People really need to focus on themselves, welcome other Christians w open arms, and if they disagree, don't turn into an argument...we're all praying to the same God. They think they r doing the right thing, but what's the motivation for telling someone else they're wrong? It's so they can prove that they're right...it has nothing to do w helping others. Self-righteousness and not righteousness. Then they post things like people hate me because I tell the truth, well people don't necessarily "hate" them, but people like me can see right through their self-righteousness, and all that pride that causes them to react the way they do.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Thank u Little Elmer and DewDropInn. Ya I got met w some of that already too. I just started a thread and asked people to share their uplifting stories about their or others spiritual gifts, and in almost all of the responses I was told that I was wrong about this, and wrong about that, and need to reread certain parts of the bible. I stopped reading those comments, I really have no desire to argue. The bible is so complex, there are always going to be differences of opinion. People really need to focus on themselves, welcome other Christians w open arms, and if they disagree, don't turn into an argument...we're all praying to the same God. They think they r doing the right thing, but what's the motivation for telling someone else they're wrong? It's so they can prove that they're right...it has nothing to do w helping others. Self-righteousness and not righteousness. Then they post things like people hate me because I tell the truth, well people don't necessarily "hate" them, but people like me can see right through their self-righteousness, and all that pride that causes them to react the way they do.
You are my new favorite poster. (Lots of wisdom in that post. I LOVE that the younger posters can cut right through to what's really important.)

Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
I never signed up. I just post here.

144 posts, read 149,343 times
I wanted to hear and share thoughts, there are so many different flavors in believers and things can get interesting. I also find that if I need prayer, this is among the first places I go. I may not have the same flavor as they, but we still come to gather in Prayer when the need arises. Someone said something to me once, discuss and argue a point, but part as friends so you can discuss another day. Too much anger isn't good for the soul. Blessings.

Last edited by standingdeer; 05-25-2013 at 06:12 PM..

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Thank you for the welcome, and the info!
Maybe you can share your story in
Why did you get saved..Love of God or fear of burning in hell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity