Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fellow Christians why did u sign up for the Christianity forum?
To fellowship with other Christians, to edify, and support them 14 93.33%
To show others how good of a Christian I am, while showing them they're not as good as they think 1 6.67%
To debate, argue and prove my point that what I say is right about scripture and other's beliefs 4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

I'd like to say "fellowship". For that, I did. Unfortunately, though, there are many that post here that simply aren't Christian. I'm sorry....but I don't have Christian fellowship with people that aren't Christians.

But to point that out, you get labled a hater.

Last edited by Vizio; 05-25-2013 at 06:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 06:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vplegend View Post
I subscribed to this forum, to fellowship w other Christians, to hear their stories, and see how other's lives have been changed by Christ. I have been pretty shocked to see that most of the threads are, to show other Christians how superior they are, to question other's faith, to try and confuse, or question your beliefs, etc. I know that there are a few non-Christians on the forum, questioning and trying to disprove Christianity, but what about the Christians that are doing this? Shouldn't we be here to edify, support and fellowship w each other? Aren't we all on the same side? As a recently born-again Christian I am starting to see why many Christians and Christian churches get a bad name. Many of these threads are embarrassing. Let's say we forget about all the petty arguments, and focus on our salvation!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
About 50% of posters here are believers of alternate views such as "universal salvation", who reject traditional Christian views like salvation by faith (they say everyone will find faith and be saved after death), and they come here for the sole purpose of giving Christians and Christian churches a bad name. This is one of the very few Christian discussion boards where their views are allowed. Other boards ban them because by allowing them, you invite never ending arguments like the ones you see here.
Just to add to Finn's comments (which were btw) ....

Historically, the beliefs that defined Christianity and were not open for compromise were:
  • God is Triune
  • Jesus is God
  • Jesus fulfilled the OT prophecies
  • The Bible is God's Word and the only inspired Word of God
  • What is written is sufficient for salvation eternal life.
  • Hell and heaven are real \ permanent places of existence ... with no going from one to another, ever
and what Finn stated:
  • salvation by faith
  • time of grace is limited to this life time, not beyond death
Because these are absolutes, those who find it unfair \ unjust make it their point to oppose, argue, falsely accuse God by masquerading it with "refuting your interpretation" arguments.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:04 PM

130 posts, read 226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd like to say "fellowship". For that, I did. Unfortunately, though, there are many that post here that simply aren't Christian. I'm sorry....but I don't have Christian fellowship with people that aren't Christians.

But to point that out, you get labled a hater.
I'm sorry if I offended u, it definitely was not my intention. God bless you brother Vizio.

-Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

-Proverbs 16:24-25 Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the bones. There is a way that seems right to a man, but it's end is the way of death.

-Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride will bring him low, but the humble is spirit will retain honor.

-Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

-Ephesians 4:26 Be angry and do not sin, do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.

-Ephesians 4:1 I, therefore the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to have a walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love.

-Psalm 26:2 Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my mind and my heart.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM

130 posts, read 226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes I will share my testimony:

Last January I ended up homeless, and moved into a men's home for a local church. I had been traumatized from my childhood, growing up w a father who had schizoid affective disorder, and a drug and alcohol problem. I ended up becoming a drug addict as well, and found myself w no support, no job and nowhere to turn.

I moved into the home, and it was not easy. We were taken advantage of, worked like dogs, sometimes around the clock. There were 17 of us living in one avg. sized house, and we were not fed very well, sometimes we didn't even get lunch. We often didn't get much sleep, and there were nights that we didn't get to sleep at all. Questioning or complaining to the director led u to be told, u were going against what God wanted for u. This is where the power of prayer changed my life.

I was being worn down, mentally, and physically. During prayer one day I told God to have his way in my life, and that my will was no longer my own. From that moment on, I have been reborn.

God answered all of my prayers from that moment on, and I prayed my way through the home. What happened in the home was not right, but I'm the person I am today because of it. I was able to completely forgive those that I held resentment towards, since I was a child. I have also been drug free for 500 days as of today. The best part about God's grace is being able to be the father, I always wanted to be, and not having to feel guilty about anything I did in my past. Jesus says in the bible that all things in Christ are a new creation, and I am so thankful for His mercy and grace. My life I owe to Him.

Here is the scripture that helped me the most when I was in the home...Every time I read this scripture I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and it gave me the strength and courage to push on.

"He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
Even the youths shall faint and be weary.
And the young men shall utterly fall,
But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."

-Isaiah 40:29-31

Old 05-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry if I offended u, it definitely was not my intention. God bless you brother Vizio.
No offense taken whatsoever.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Your poll needs an "all of the above" option

Seriously, I didn't know what to expect, I was disappointed in Moderator cut: referenced to the owner of CD not permitted per TOS more dedicated to the meeting of the minds of believer and non, so I came here.

Mostly, I'm interested in expounding the idea that "the good news" really IS good AND new; a novel way of relating in community that hasn't had all that much practical effort put into it over the last couple of thousand years for various reasons, but which has at least had some serious effect on any society that has promoted the values taught (among many other influences).

Last edited by june 7th; 05-26-2013 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-25-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
That's awesome!! I've only been saved a little over a year, and spent most of that time living in a Christian men's home. Please forgive me if I don't meet your standards as a Christian, this is all new to me.
Thank you. I'm sorry...I've never suggested you don't. I don't know what your responding to that I've said anything negative to you specifically.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:49 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Well I kind of feel like neither of those, though I picked the first choice. For me it is to share my story which I feel is sort of unique, but then, doesn't everyone have a unique story to share? And when I feel moved by the Spirit, to give my opinion or point of view on ideas. I may be right, I may be wrong. I have a certain set of beliefs which I feel very strongly about, but I have no proof to back them up beyond what is taught in Scripture which is very much open to a variety of interpretations it seems. I feel the most important thing is to have faith in Jesus Christ as our one and only Savior. He is the only one who can save us. It is important to lean on Him and trust in Him in all things--to love and honor God in all we do. The rest, well--I subscribe to a particular doctrine. I feel very strongly drawn to it, and my soul feels comforted by it. Is it right? I certainly do believe it so--yet there is that interpretation factor again.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with a courteous exchange of ideas. Yet for those who call themselves Christians to vehemently attack others for whatever their beliefs might be (even if it is not a Christian belief--perhaps this person has not yet been called by God; it may come in time, but how can it possibly be the Christian way to put them down in a vicious manner for it?), I feel it is not right, and I do not enjoy this sort of communication.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
it's what the Bible says. I'm sorry if that annoys you.
What you are saying here sounds like the voice of the only other poster that resorts to saying you are judging me, not loving me, when your beliefs are challenged .

Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Vizio... what is your problem here?
You said you are sorry "if that annoys you".
And I responded by saying your interpretation is YOUR issue.
As in... Why would it annoy me if that is YOUR intrepretation. It is YOUR issue. Not mine.
Now do you understand?
My issue is that people get upset at me because I tell them they're wrong.....which is what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity