Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,363,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
So, are you saying that while Jesus was in the Bible's temporary hell he was absent from God ?

- Acts 2 vs 27,31; Psalm 16 v 10
I did not say anything about Jesus, nice straw man!

Your biblical quotes do not refute that hell is to live in the absence of God. Since God is everything in the universe hell is a difficult place to imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
The OP has an interesting thought, but it is false based on what Jesus taught
.Mt 5:30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
Mt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Lk 12:5 But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.
Mt 13:42 They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth
IMHO, its better to trust Jesus words rather than the imagination of your own mind.
The English words hell and hellfire are not the original words in Hebrew and Greek.

KJV even translates the word 'Gehenna' in English as hell and hell fire.
Gehenna was a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed not kept burning forever.
So, Gehenna was a fitting word for destruction not burning forever in pain.
Jesus gave the choice between life and perishing at John 3 v 16 B. Everlasting life or perish which means destroyed.
2nd Peter 3 v 9 also mentions repent or perish [ be destroyed ]
Even wicked Satan does not go to hell but ends up in 'second death' after biblical hell is emptied out. -Rev. 21 v 8.

Yes, the 'mortal' soul can be destroyed in hell [Gehenna ] -Matthew 10 v 28.
Gospel writer Luke also wrote the soul can be destroyed at Acts 3 v 23.

Thrown into the fiery furnace [ incinerator ] is what destroys not keeps things burning forever.
Fiery furnace is used in that parable or illustration because people are likened to either genuine wheat or fake weed/tares.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I did not say anything about Jesus, nice straw man!
Your biblical quotes do not refute that hell is to live in the absence of God. Since God is everything in the universe hell is a difficult place to imagine.
Which hell ?_______ The non-biblical permanent forever burning religious-myth hell, or the temporary biblical hell ?

Jesus imagined hell as a sleeping place for the dead. So, while Jesus was in hell he was in a sleep-like state until God resurrected Jesus out of the temporary Bible's hell [ sheol ] -John 11 vs 11-14; Acts 2 vs 27,31,32; 3 v 15; 13 vs 30,37.

Even by age 12 Jesus was well educated in the Hebrew Scriptures which teach 'sleep in death' at such Scriptures as:
Psalms 6 v 5; 13 v 3; 115 v 17; 146 v 4; Ecclesiastes 9 vs 5, 10; Job 14 vs 13,14; Daniel 12 vs 2,13

Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,363,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Which hell ?_______ The non-biblical permanent forever burning religious-myth hell, or the temporary biblical hell ?

Jesus imagined hell as a sleeping place for the dead. So, while Jesus was in hell he was in a sleep-like state until God resurrected Jesus out of the temporary Bible's hell [ sheol ] -John 11 vs 11-14; Acts 2 vs 27,31,32; 3 v 15; 13 vs 30,37.

Even by age 12 Jesus was well educated in the Hebrew Scriptures which teach 'sleep in death' at such Scriptures as:
Psalms 6 v 5; 13 v 3; 115 v 17; 146 v 4; Ecclesiastes 9 vs 5, 10; Job 14 vs 13,14; Daniel 12 vs 2,13
The bible and religious definitions are related to how MAN imagines hell, or it is simply a metaphor.

From a metaphysical point of view hell is probably nothing since God is supposed to be everything.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,943,061 times
Rev 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire

Mt 25:46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Isn't is great that we have all these posters on this forum that are smarter and wiser than God. He who has ears, let him hear.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 AM

63,945 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Rev 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire

Mt 25:46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Isn't is great that we have all these posters on this forum that are smarter and wiser than God. He who has ears, let him hear.
What is really amazing is that so many people think God is in a book! Christ abides with us and His Holy Spirit (Comforter) is within our consciousness guiding us (if we are willing) to the truth God has "written in our hearts."

Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 AM

175 posts, read 175,096 times
from Vizio:

Quote:
So what it comes down to is that you are angry that he would show love and mercy to one--but not to everyone? Is that it? Rather than rejoice for the fact that God saves some--you think it's unfair that he doesn't save all?

I'm curious--are you a progressive when it comes to politics? Do you think it's unfair for someone to have large amounts of wealth, while someone else doesn't? Do you want to take away that wealth and distribute it evenly so that everyone has exactly the same amount?
[LEFT]
Vizio, i used to hate the god i was taught growing up in the baptist faith, i realized something was just not right about the teachings of the church and mainstream religion, for years i carried this hatred, i always thought that something was wrong.

My thinking was if god created all, controls all, and was in damage control mode then he wasn't "all" powerful, as the scriptures teach everything works to His plan.

i now realize my hatred and anger was not at the ALL loving creator, just at the messengers of doom (the mainstream church and teachings).
i now love and rejoice the All loving God that has a plan and is carrying it out in His time frame, i believe the scriptures when they tell me that God will have ALL to come to the knowledge of the truth, and that He is not willing that ANY should perish.

As far as the thought you have of me being a progressive, nothing could be farther from the truth, i fail to see how you make the connection

Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM

987 posts, read 1,120,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boanerges View Post
from Vizio:

[LEFT]
Vizio, i used to hate the god i was taught growing up in the baptist faith, i realized something was just not right about the teachings of the church and mainstream religion, for years i carried this hatred, i always thought that something was wrong.

My thinking was if god created all, controls all, and was in damage control mode then he wasn't "all" powerful, as the scriptures teach everything works to His plan.

i now realize my hatred and anger was not at the ALL loving creator, just at the messengers of doom (the mainstream church and teachings).
i now love and rejoice the All loving God that has a plan and is carrying it out in His time frame, i believe the scriptures when they tell me that God will have ALL to come to the knowledge of the truth, and that He is not willing that ANY should perish.

As far as the thought you have of me being a progressive, nothing could be farther from the truth, i fail to see how you make the connection

Isn't it a glorious revelation???!!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
Isn't it a glorious revelation???!!
Indeed!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:42 AM

28 posts, read 27,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Hell is symbolic of all-consuming, or thorough, destruction. The Scriptures say: "Death and Hades were hurled into the lake of fire." The 'lake' mentioned here is also symbolic, since death and hell once thrown into it cannot literally be burned. This [lake of fire] means the second death, from which there is no hope of coming back to life.—Rev. 20:14.
The lake of fire has a meaning similar to that of "the fiery Gehenna [hell fire, King James Version]" that Jesus spoke of at Matthew 5:22 and Mark 9:47, 48. Gehenna occurs 12 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures, and it refers to the valley of Hinnom, outside the walls of Jerusalem. When Jesus was on earth, this valley was used as a garbage dump, where the dead bodies of criminals, and the carcasses of animals, and every other kind of filth was cast according to Smith’s Dictionary of the Bible. The fires were kept burning by adding sulfur to burn up the refuse. Jesus used that valley as a proper symbol of everlasting destruction. As does Gehenna, the lake of fire symbolizes eternal destruction. Death and Hades are "hurled into" it in that they will be done away with when mankind is freed from sin and the condemnation of death. And not just anyone who has made mistakes or done something wrong, but Willful, unrepentant sinners will have their "portion" or 'sentence', in that lake [Rev. 21:8] and will be annihilated forever. On the other hand, those in God’s memory who are in hell as the common grave, have a marvelous future to awaken to.
Perfect response! Couldn't have said it any better myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity