Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 PM

100 posts, read 155,522 times

Advertisements

I had a "feeling" in my heart in 2007 that I was saved and I read the word of god alot.. Over the years though I have been in and out of the church and I always believed in Jesus, but I always find myself drifting away from him. always distracted with other things. like sports, my phone ect.

Does anyone know why we drift away from god? did I have a false salvation? was I saved? its just a question that I think about all the time. I am staying consistant so far with the lord, but I am concerned that I may drift. but I don't want too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:57 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMan59 View Post
I had a "feeling" in my heart in 2007 that I was saved and I read the word of god alot.. Over the years though I have been in and out of the church and I always believed in Jesus, but I always find myself drifting away from him. always distracted with other things. like sports, my phone ect.

Does anyone know why we drift away from god? did I have a false salvation? was I saved? its just a question that I think about all the time. I am staying consistant so far with the lord, but I am concerned that I may drift. but I don't want too.
Did you...

confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead? (Romans 10:9)

Old 08-10-2013, 08:07 PM

33,244 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

CMan, if you believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins with the result that you have placed your faith in Him for eternal life, then you are eternally saved even though you may have drifted away from Him.

As to why people drift away from Christ, that is strictly a volitional issue. You are responsible for what you give top priority to in your life. You must make the effort to study and learn the Word of God and apply it to your life. You must make the decision to make time for Bible study and prayer. Faith must be fed. If you don't feed it then it can weaken and even die. But having been saved you are eternally secure and cannot lose your salvation even though you lose your faith.

You might want to read this study on the believer's eternal security. >>> Doctrine of Eternal Security - Doctrines for download - Robert McLaughlin Bible Ministries / Grace Bible Church - bible doctrine truth in Christ I hope that you will.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 PM

670 posts, read 815,544 times
Quote:

In what way did you drift?

As long as we do our best to do good we are fine.
Enjoying life is not a distraction from God, God wants you to enjoy your life, but you can do some good in this world while your enjoying it. The Law is written in your heart search your feelings and you'l know what is good and what you should do.

It's not about blood sacrifice or believing Jesus died for us, but practicing what Jesus taught us to do.
We are to love God with all our heart, love all others, and love ourselves. When we do those things following the Laws of god become second nature to us.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Cman, I would strongly advise you to go speak to a knowledgeable and grace oriented pastor and not pay to much attention to the responses you get on this forum. The poster who just told you that it is not about believing that Jesus died for us just perverted the gospel. You absolutely must believe that Jesus died for your sins in order to be eternally saved. And as I said on the other post, if you have at some point in your life believed that and trusted in Christ for your salvation then you are saved.
1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

While there are a few people here who will give good advice, on this forum you are going to get all kinds of disinformation. The Universalists will tell you either that everyone will ultimately be saved, or that everyone already is saved. The legalists will tell you that you must work for your salvation. And none of that is true. Again, I hope you will read the study I posted in post #3.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-10-2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM

452 posts, read 709,831 times
Quote:

The things that are distracting you are things "of the world". You are "Not of this world".

Paul calls it "the battle of the flesh and spirit". It's knowing what God wants you to do, and knowing what you want to do, doing what you want to do, then beating yourself up because you really wanted to serve God!

You've already answered your own question btw: You have drifted away. When we choose facebook over time with God, we're actually putting "other gods before Me (Him)"

Once you're saved, you're always saved. You just have to re-establish your relationship with Christ!

"Therefore there is no condemnation in He who is in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:1 (Read the whole chapter of Romans 8, build your home (life) on the Rock brother.)

Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
The things that are distracting you are things "of the world". You are "Not of this world".

Paul calls it "the battle of the flesh and spirit". It's knowing what God wants you to do, and knowing what you want to do, doing what you want to do, then beating yourself up because you really wanted to serve God!

You've already answered your own question btw: You have drifted away. When we choose facebook over time with God, we're actually putting "other gods before Me (Him)"

Once you're saved, you're always saved. You just have to re-establish your relationship with Christ!

"Therefore there is no condemnation in He who is in Christ Jesus" Romans 8:1 (Read the whole chapter of Romans 8, build your home (life) on the Rock brother.)
Good post Deanna.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 PM

794 posts, read 846,804 times
Quote:

Of course you are saved. Salvation is based entirely on Jesus and His finished work at the cross. Our knowledge of scripture or performance in life has nothing to do with the fact that salvation is a finished work and a free gift to us. You will hear voices and words from religious and misunderstood people who tell you otherwise but do not listen to them. You are saved by grace through faith in Jesus alone.

We drift from God when we stop realizing how much He loves us. Children always want their parent's approval. Its the same with our soul and God. Your soul knows that God is your Father. The revelation of knowing and believing that Jesus and God both love you never loses its. It is the only revelation that renews itself constantly when we give thought to it. Distractions, depression, temptations and the stress of life all cause us to drift from God. None of this however can take away your salvation. Nothing can do that. Jesus says no one, including yourself can snatch you from His hands, nor His Father's hands. There is no such thing as being born again and then being unborn again. Once you are born again by believing on Jesus Christ for your salvation you are saved forever.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Love imposes no demands, neither does it hold you in bondage.
You are free to experience "life" more abundantly.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
^ If a relationship with the Lord seems like a chore, you must have been getting misdirections from some Calvinist or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity