Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 06:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,106,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He is right, to an extent. All translations are merely translations from the original language. Anyone who has ever tried to translate one language to another understands that sometimes words don't translate perfectly. But there are some better translations--such as the NASB and ESV. Others you'd do well to stay away from.

Also ideas, expressions, idioms, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Or those that think that God speaks directly to them...despite the fact that the message "God" is telling them is in direct opposition to what he has already said.

That's funny...

Old 08-14-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
The Alexandrian texts were NOT gnostic inspired. The KJV is outdated, the language has moved on and many words no longer mean what they meant in the 17thC.

Yea, like the word farmer...

Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,956,852 times
Quote:
You really haven't seemed very willing to "discuss" anything with me, or others that place a lot of stock in what the Bible says.
On the contrary, I have been trying to show you how your "programs" distort what the Bible does say. Then we should be able to reach agreement. Nobody seems to be willing to surrender their personal agendas.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
In a recent bible study, my pastor made this statement. I was totally shocked because I was thinking what does he mean? I need some clarification. Aren't I reading God's word in my New King James version, NIV, NASB or etc., so how couldn't those versions be God's inspired word? Well what my pastor meant was that the original tongue that the bible was written, Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic are God's inspired word. The various translations, are simply translations, but not God's inspired Word. This is why we can't even trust one particular translation over another because of bias which has been clearly evident in some translations, like the New World Translation.
Translation is not necessarily eroneous interpretation. As long as the intended message and principle are maintained, the authenticity of divine inspiration is retained. However, what your pastor shared with you imo, also esembles more opinion than fact.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,520,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I recently listened to a debate between two men who both agree that there are roughly 5,752 texts of the New Testament (no telling how many for the Old T). In those 5,752 texts there have been found approximately 400,000 differences in the texts--words, verses, and organization. There are actually MORE mistakes in the scriptures (differences from one another) than there are words in the New Testament.

People who come to that conclusions I haven't seen that they are by nature skeptics of the Bible to begin with.

Most often people who find so many differences are rambling

Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,434,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
I really hope you are joking because how can someone be that dumb.
It is mocking.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:13 PM

28,138 posts, read 30,066,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
In a recent bible study, my pastor made this statement. I was totally shocked because I was thinking what does he mean? I need some clarification. Aren't I reading God's word in my New King James version, NIV, NASB or etc., so how couldn't those versions be God's inspired word? Well what my pastor meant was that the original tongue that the bible was written, Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic are God's inspired word. The various translations, are simply translations, but not God's inspired Word. This is why we can't even trust one particular translation over another because of bias which has been clearly evident in some translations, like the New World Translation.
This is why I believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly. Any time human beings are involved in God's work, there is a potential for error. That, of course, doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM

250 posts, read 219,398 times
The wonderful thing about the Bible is that now we have so many manuscripts and translations from thousands of years ago that we know we have it the same today. Since the books of the bible were copied so much and so often had an error crept in it would have stood out like a sore thumb. God is amazing and He has amazingly kept His word intact. No other book on earth can be so proven correct as the Bible can.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:39 PM

452 posts, read 711,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You do know that the adding to and taking away from are in regards to Revelations solely, don't you?...
Deuteronomy 4:2 “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take anything from it”

Proverbs 30:6 "Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar"

Revelation 22:18-19 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this Book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this Book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this Book".

Why?

Psalms 119: 160 “The entirety of Your word is truth

Proverbs 30:5-6: “Every word of God is pure; he is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity