Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith_Plus_Nothing View Post
So you prefer the incorrect change made to that verse over an accurate translation? Why not accept it as written and find a translation that is faithful to the original text and does not change it? Would you not prefer truth? There is not a single manuscript to back up that change.
I don't know which is accurate,but even as a whole the Nwt is earier to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
How come some books made it into the bible,but others(ex: the book of Enoch) didn't?

I read the Nwt because its easier to read and understand than the Kjv.

John 1:1 in my Nwt reads" and the word was a god."
In the Kjv,its :and the word was God".
Jerseygal4u, you are not even a believer as you posted on another thread. This is a family matter among the faithful, and the presence of you as an admitted unbeliever is designed to inflame as opposed to reconcile.

May your day be blessed by God, whether you want it to be or not.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
How come some books made it into the bible,but others(ex: the book of Enoch) didn't?

I read the Nwt because its easier to read and understand than the Kjv.

John 1:1 in my Nwt reads" and the word was a god."
In the Kjv,its :and the word was God".
There are a couple of threads on the canon of the Bible. The NWT is translated for and by Seventh Day Adventists and the word choices in several places reflect their doctrines. In almost all cases the translations are within parameters for translating the Greek, but the KJV and pretty much every other translation does the same. Asking questions about differences is a good way to find out.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM

717 posts, read 648,319 times
Actually the NWT is translated by and for Jehovah's Witnesses. Most SDA's use the KJV.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
Actually the NWT is translated by and for Jehovah's Witnesses. Most SDA's use the KJV.
Ooooops. I can't keep them straight

Old 08-16-2013, 03:47 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
In a recent bible study, my pastor made this statement. I was totally shocked because I was thinking what does he mean? I need some clarification. Aren't I reading God's word in my New King James version, NIV, NASB or etc., so how couldn't those versions be God's inspired word? Well what my pastor meant was that the original tongue that the bible was written, Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic are God's inspired word. The various translations, are simply translations, but not God's inspired Word. This is why we can't even trust one particular translation over another because of bias which has been clearly evident in some translations, like the New World Translation.
I never felt the Bible is God's inspired word. The Bible is the writings of people who felt inspired by God.

There is a notable difference between the two.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:45 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I never felt the Bible is God's inspired word. The Bible is the writings of people who felt inspired by God.
There is a notable difference between the two.
Amen! Too many people do not know what that difference entails and that has caused and will continue to cause a lot of human misery. We are ALL connected to God's consciousness thanks to Jesus the Christ . . . whether or not we even know who He is. We can be inspired and guided by His Holy Spirit (Comforter) as He was by God the Father directly. The early prophets were exceptional men with sporadic connection to God's Holy Spirit (consciousness) . . . but they were handicapped because of their primitive and savage understandings when interpreting those sporadic inspirations.

Christ had a direct and permanent connection to the Father His entire life . . . so He was able to produce an identical consciousness (Holy Spirit) within His human consciousness. This is why we now have direct access to God's guidance and need no man to teach us . . . if we will sincerely seek the truth God has "written in our hearts" and TRUST IT. The "precepts and doctrines of men" will only confuse and present a stumbling block to our understanding of God and His life for us all.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jerseygal4u, you are not even a believer as you posted on another thread. This is a family matter among the faithful, and the presence of you as an admitted unbeliever is designed to inflame as opposed to reconcile.

May your day be blessed by God, whether you want it to be or not.
First,I'm not a believer in mainstream Christiandom.
I am studying with Jehovah Witnesses,and where did I ever state I'm not a believer?

I said,on the thread of prayer,that I was taught God isn't the ruler of the world,and to clarify,I was taught by Jehovah Witnesses.
You can check out their beliefs,google it if you want.

Come to think of it,they are really the only ones that I can question,and they don't seem to get smart or run away,or say its a mystery. They explain it most times.

Besides,how does one become a believer in ANYTHING if no one wants to explain to them,or say "everything is a mystery?"

Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
Default I apologize

Quote:
First,I'm not a believer in mainstream Christiandom.
I am studying with Jehovah Witnesses,and where did I ever state I'm not a believer?

I said,on the thread of prayer,that I was taught God isn't the ruler of the world,and to clarify,I was taught by Jehovah Witnesses.
You can check out their beliefs,google it if you want.
If you are studying, then at least you have the opportunity to discover truth, and I apologize for the misconception that I drew from that line you wrote on the thread "Nothing Fails Like Prayer."

Mainstream Christianity does not hold with J.W. being "christian" in a classical sense, and some call it a cult or even anti-God. Since I know little about it, I will hold my tongue, but still pray God's blessing upon you.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:20 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Deuteronomy 4:2 “You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take anything from it”

Proverbs 30:6 "Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar"

Revelation 22:18-19 "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this Book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this Book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the Book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this Book".

Why?

Psalms 119: 160 “The entirety of Your word is truth

Proverbs 30:5-6: “Every word of God is pure; he is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.”
Thank you for quoting other verses. I am too tired to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity