Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You appear to be avoiding facing the fact that Ephesians 2:1 refers to the fact that a person can be physically alive but spiritually dead.
Doesn't change the meaning of spirit (pneuma).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Every living thing has the spirit of life according to Ecclesiastes 3 vs 19-21

Those 'poor in spirit' are 'beggars for the spirit'. The desire for righteousness for the fruits of God's spirit - Gal. 5 vs 22,23
Poor beggars because of having spiritual malnutrition because of false clergy dispensing spiritual crumbs- Acts 20 vs 29,30
The have the physical/material needs but not the nourishing spiritual food from God's Word the Bible [ Psalm 119 v 105 ]
The Book of Ecclesiastes records the erroneous thinking of Solomon as a 'man under the sun'. He had turned away from God at this point in his life and thought just as any unbeliever does. Much of Solomon's thinking was faulty, but the Bible accurately records his thoughts and his attempts to pursue happiness as a 'man under the sun'.

As I said, there are those who hold to the view that the unbeliever has a human spirit, but that it is in a ruined condition and needs to be restored in regeneration. I do not hold to that view.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Doesn't change the meaning of spirit (pneuma).
It is blatantly obvious that you are avoiding facing the issue which is that a person can be physically alive but spiritually dead as Ephesians 2:1 proves. And that means that the resurrected unbeliever will exist forever, being physically alive, but that he will be spiritually dead.

Again, it is blatantly obvious that you do not wish to face and acknowledge the issue. This is only too typical of many people, including those who are Universalists. It is wasted effort attempting to get through to such.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Every man has a spirit "pneuma" and God has a pneuma as well. God's Spirit - (The Father's Spirit aka the Holy Spirit) is His very "personhood". It is what defines His nature. A pneuma is in the Words we speak for pneuma is air but a Word Spoken is air of interest because it carries meaning. And that meaning can include the substance of the orignators very being or personhood. Jesus said that His Words are Spirit and they are life. This is because by His Words did He communicate the Father (The communion).

The different between God's Spirit and ours is that ours are not LIFE also. Our words do not carry life. This is where God's Spirit is different than ours. For our words may contain spirit (pneuma) but they do no contain life.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It is blatantly obvious that you are avoiding facing the issue which is that a person can be physically alive but spiritually dead as Ephesians 2:1 proves. And that means that the resurrected unbeliever will exist forever, being physically alive, but that he will be spiritually dead.

Again, it is blatantly obvious that you do not wish to face and acknowledge the issue. This is only too typical of many people, including those who are Universalists. It is wasted effort attempting to get through to such.
No Mike, I do no avoid that and in fact I acknowledge that someone can be spiritually dead. But that doesn't change the meaning of what pneuma is to me. Look at my last post regarding God's Spirit (pneuma) and man's spirit (pneuma). There is a distinction between the two but they are not the same. For example there can be two cars but that doesn't mean each car is the same even though each is a car.

I also believe that a resurrected unbeliever will be spiritually dead but I also believe that same resurrected unbeliever will become a believer and receive the end of that death through Life and acquisition of God's pneuma.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Some people when they hear something contrary run to the Bible to find something to condemn the messenger with. Others go and investigate any logic or reasoning and sometimes discover something greater than gold.
It is more of
Some people when they hear something contrary to the Bible, find scriptures to confirm the truth so as to
"He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught,
so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it."Titus 1:9
while others after being shown the truth, go and run to any logic or reasoning to verify something other than golden words from God

Old 08-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No apology is necessary but I appreciate the courtesy.

I've alluded to it on CD forums once or twice and written more extensively about it in other media. I won't describe the entire experience again now.

But regarding the judgment aspect: As many others have related, that hoary old cliche - "My life passed before my eyes" actually seemed to be occurring. I watched scenes/events in which I behaved poorly and others in which I was "good." My "watching self" was stripped of excuses, rationalizations or pretense. I was ashamed and felt deeply sorry at witnessing the "bad" incidents and happy at the others.

Throughout, there was no sense of someone other than myself doing this "assessing." I was looking into a mirror of truth regarding my life and could not look away.

This event occurred when I was a child and had a strong belief in Jesus/God. But I had zero sense of God or any other presence pointing out my errors. I've since spent the better part of my life distilling the experience and extracting its lessons.

One of which is, I am certain that we are our own judges, that everyone will face that mirror of truth and be unable to look away.

I am equally certain that it matters not a whit whether one is an atheist, Hindu, Christian, Muslim or pagan - a biblical scholar or illiterate goatherd.

Belief means nothing. We are all judged on our actions. And that mirror doesn't forget a single one.
Personal testimonies and personal experiences mean nothing. You claim to have had a near death experience. But there are those who have claimed to have had a near death experience who have reported having a 'hellish' experience.

I place my faith in the Word of God which says that one must personally place his faith in Jesus in order to have eternal life.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-21-2013 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Testimonies are meaningless, and personal experience means nothing. You claim to have had a near death experience. But there are those who have claimed to have had a near death experience who have reported having a 'hellish' experience.

I place my faith in the Word of God which says that one must personally place his faith in Jesus in order to have eternal life.
I've seen enough of your posts to know you've bet the wrong pony.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Testimonies are meaningless, and personal experience means nothing. You claim to have had a near death experience.
To people who have not shared any part of the idea of the value of community and how we relate to it, perhaps.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It is more of
Some people when they hear something contrary to the Bible, find scriptures to confirm the truth so as to
"He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught,
so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it."Titus 1:9
while others after being shown the truth, go and run to any logic or reasoning to verify something other than golden words from God
Simple Twin.spin, let's test it out. Do you believe that Jesus will destroy sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity